The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-29-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Plus, it's a moving target. I have the secret to finding "the one": buy one guitar. Don't ever try out another guitar. Don't listen to anyone playing another guitar. And, definitely stay away from internet guitar forums.

Yeah, I don't take my advice, either.
Funny, Jim. Yes, that's pretty much the only way you might think you have "the one".

That said... the CH-OM1100NS could easily hold me quite happily as my "one", IF I had to limit myself to one.

Which would it be for you? If I were to speculate, I'd say your X20?
Old 10-29-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales
There is no such thing as "the one" or two or three, there is only an acceptance of good enough.
I have a few that are the "one"... I think.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-29-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
I love thinking about how to spend other people's money I just got a shorty (same as Rainsong ch-om) delivered to my house yesterday. Playing it side by side with the savoy, the savoy wins hands down. I think the sound of Ekoa has won me over. To me the shorty/ch-om sounds more thin, not as rich as the savoy. It just sounds like carbon. The RS doesn't sound bad at all. It sounds amazing for a carbon fiber guitar but I will be sending it back and either waiting for namm or getting a blackbird farallon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
That’s really interesting, because I had exactly the opposite impression when I played the CH-OM back-to-back with the Savoy. To me the CH-OM had a much richer, fuller voice and the Savoy tone seemed thinner, very mid-rangy, without as much full-range balance. It just shows that different players get different impressions of the same instruments and why it’s important for each player to play and sort out which instruments suit their individual tastes the best.
I haven't played a CH-OM, but my impression of the Savoy tone is not thin, mid-rangy, or lacking a full-range balance. I realize this was a comparison to a "richer, fuller voice" of the CH-OM, and I don't dispute what DHart heard, just as I do not dispute what Bry heard when he arrived at a different opinion. I do find these opinions to be a compelling reason to play any guitar one wishes to purchase and compare it to other potential candidates. Unfortunately, most of us won't have that option with composite guitars. Fortunately, I found the Savoy to have a rich, full, balanced voice. Now I wonder what I'm missing by not hearing a CH-OM. I do know that I am not always very impressed with musical instruments that some folks insist are among the best, including human voices. Taste in music, as in food, is very personal and is flavored with the biases of past experiences.

The Savoy is not "The One," but if it were the only acoustic guitar I could own, I would be quite happy with having it as opposed to a different choice. The Savoy is a great compromise in almost every area without compromising much in the most important areas. I will be interested to see whether a nylon string version is introduced and how it sounds. I favor steel strings but still love the sound of a classical guitar, although most of my classical playing is on steel strings.

Last edited by Amar911; 10-29-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar911 View Post
I haven't played a CH-OM, but my impression of the Savoy tone is not thin, mid-rangy, or lacking a full-range balance. I realize this was a comparison to a "richer, fuller voice" of the CH-OM, and I don't dispute what DHart heard, just as I do not dispute what Bry heard when he arrived at a different opinion. I do find these opinions to be a compelling reason to play any guitar one wishes to purchase and compare it to other potential candidates. Unfortunately, most of us won't have that option with composite guitars. Fortunately, I found the Savoy to have a rich, full, balanced voice. Now I wonder what I'm missing by not hearing a CH-OM. I do know that I am not always very impressed with musical instruments that some folks insist are among the best, including human voices. Taste in music, as in food, is very personal and is flavored with the biases of past experiences.

The Savoy is not "The One," but if it were the only acoustic guitar I could own, I would be quite happy with having it as opposed to a different choice. The Savoy is a great compromise in almost every area without compromising much in the most important areas. I will be interested to see whether a nylon string version is introduced and how it sounds. I favor steel strings but still love the sound of a classical guitar, although most of my classical playing is on steel strings.

I guess I should the the savoy is "the one" for me
Old 10-29-2017, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Funny, Jim. Yes, that's pretty much the only way you might think you have "the one".

That said... the CH-OM1100NS could easily hold me quite happily as my "one", IF I had to limit myself to one.

Which would it be for you? If I were to speculate, I'd say your X20?
Tough call. The X20 is (to my ears) the best sounding guitar I own; and (to my eyes) the best looking. A delight every time I pick it up. There is something very special about my X7, though; I think it must be the intimate nature of that guitar. Yeah, those two are "the ones."

In the last 12 years, we have made a concerted effort to downsize and simplify... with everything except guitars. Glad I don't have to get it down to one.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
...Glad I don't have to get it down to one.
Me too!
Old 10-30-2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar911 View Post
The Savoy is not "The One," but if it were the only acoustic guitar I could own, I would be quite happy with having it as opposed to a different choice.
While I heard a pronounced difference in tone and frequency range between the CH-OM and the Savoy that I played, back-to-back, and decided on the spot to buy the CH-OM, I'm sure that if the Savoy were the only guitar that I could have, that I'd be able to enjoy it just fine as well.

The Savoy is indeed an attractive guitar and can easily fill the need for a very compact, good-looking, temperature- & humidity-impervious guitar just fine. Personally, I don't find it to be an attractive value for the money, and it wouldn't be "the one" for me, but cost aside, I sure wouldn't mind having one around the house myself.

I don't see the Savoy as being even a close competitor to the CH-OM1100NS for sound quality. The CH-OM has, of course, a significant advantage in size when it comes to sound/tone.

BUT I would be very interested in pitting a Savoy against my new Emerald X7, to see which wins out in a competition for sound quality/tone! While these two guitars are more closely matched in size, the cost of the X7 Artisan is about 1/2 the price of the Savoy. I think I need to pay a visit to Mr. Kramster again, with my X7 Artisan in hand, to compare it to the Savoy.

Last edited by DHart; 10-30-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
I think I need to pay a visit to Mr. Kramster again, with my X7 Artisan in hand, to compare it to the Savoy.
I better rest up some.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-30-2017, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Interesting comparisons, with some missing variables like strings, picks, playing style, and intent.

For example, I often let the strings on my GX go kind of dead because it makes a mellow accompaniment for my voice. If I were just finger picking instrumentally or needed more "cut," it would be a different story.

The position of the listener, the acoustical environment, and listener fatigue also factor in... some CF guitars I have auditioned had an "oh wow" sound at first, but got tiring over the longer term.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumalot View Post
Interesting comparisons, with some missing variables like strings, picks, playing style, and intent.

For example, I often let the strings on my GX go kind of dead because it makes a mellow accompaniment for my voice. If I were just finger picking instrumentally or needed more "cut," it would be a different story.

The position of the listener, the acoustical environment, and listener fatigue also factor in... some CF guitars I have auditioned had an "oh wow" sound at first, but got tiring over the longer term.

All good points Sir Strumalot. I have been know to let my strings get pretty darn old...anyway... so many variables for sure.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Thanks bry.... what was funny about it was that it only had two sharks at the 12 fret (no other sharks) ...all other appointments meaning all blacked out and satin neck back and sides...

The price was also the same as they hybrid series...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
Crazy. That is definitely a question for Ted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I can certainly ask Dave what the deal is..
Mystery solved! Apparently all CH models will now feature the signature dual Shark inlay at the 12th fret. What this means is that we will now be raising the prices on the now highly collectible, first generation CH models with plain fretboards.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:00 PM
Guest 928

Ted; That's pretty good! Several yards for you (these darn forum members have me thinking in terms of yards for gains and penalties. I say this response should get you at least two yards, 2nd down.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Mystery solved! Apparently all CH models will now feature the signature dual Shark inlay at the 12th fret. What this means is that we will now be raising the prices on the now highly collectible, first generation CH models with plain fretboards.
Hmmn. Now I am conflicted.

I really like the blacked out look of the current CH models, and the lack of any inlay means you never have to argue with some customs agent that no that's not some type of endangered shell.

On the other hand, sharks are cool, and if I were to pick a fretboard pattern I prefer it's a clean board with a single inlay at the 12th fret. (like the 3 dots on the Larrivee Forum-III).

Anyone have a picture? Are these bright white (pearl) sharks or subdued to match the overall dark aesthetic?
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-30-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I better rest up some.
This will be FUN!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber