The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-04-2020, 09:53 PM

So Ray, which X7 did you prefer the lights on; the 1st generation 2017 or or the 2nd gen? I have the original version. It just doesn’t have a solid bottom end with light gage strings.

As you know, the second generation is a different beast with a larger, deeper body. I would expect a more robust sound with the lighter strings.

How do you compare the two?
Old 05-04-2020, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

I disagree with Ray on the X7 sounding better than the X20, but I do agree that the Sunbeams sound good on the X7, I've had similar great results with the DR Rares too.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunote View Post
So Ray, which X7 did you prefer the lights on; the 1st generation 2017 or or the 2nd gen? I have the original version. It just doesn’t have a solid bottom end with light gage strings.

As you know, the second generation is a different beast with a larger, deeper body. I would expect a more robust sound with the lighter strings.

How do you compare the two?
I didn’t have the earlier one all that long and didn’t really test strings on it much. I didn’t find Sunbeams until I had the newer one. I bought the old one used, initially to play second fiddle to the X20. But I liked how it played so much, I found myself playing it more than the X20. I decided to check out the newer one, figuring I might find it a perfect midpoint, closer to the X20 soundwise, but playing like the older X7. And it was - I loved it. Some people preferred the comfort of the older, smaller, one. I liked the newer one better in every respect. Yes, a much more robust sound with any set of strings, particularly as perceived by the player, because of the soundhole facing both out and up, directing considerably more sound at the player’s ear. I found it far more comfortable too. And, as noted, I liked it more than the X20 (and also noted many people didn’t, which John showed in the previous response). So I sold BOTH and the X7 was my only acoustic for nearly a year.

I did sell the X7 also recently, and have gone back to wood, but it was in no way a reflection on the sound of the X7. I’ve been playing forever but only took up fingerpicking at around the same time I got the X7. I learned to fingerpick initially on that but then discovered well over a year later, as I got semi-competent at playing with my fingers, that I’m FAR more comfortable when my right arm hangs over the guitar (in my normal seated position) such that my hand naturally falls over or just ahead of the bridge, so I can easily reach the bridge for palm muting, anchoring my hand, etc. On the X7, my hand hung waaaay forward of the bridge, several inches, to the point that getting it back to the bridge for palm muting and the like, was not at all a natural act and not comfortable for any period of time. I’d added a wood guitar with a larger lower bout and different leg cut location and found myself always reaching for that to play with my fingers because of how my arm hung over it. Took me a while to figure all this out and understand why I’d stopped reaching for the X7, but when I finally did, I sold it and doubled down on wooden guitars that work better for me for more types of playing. I loved how it sounded, but over time, and after learning a new skill, I didn’t find it nearly as comfortableas other options. I’m back to one acoustic again, but it’s a CEO-7, which is far more comfortable for me at this point. I couldn’t have and didn’t know this back when I got the X7. It’s been a journey...

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 05-04-2020 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:02 AM

Default a point worth repeating

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
.....I’d added a wood guitar with a larger lower bout and different leg cut location and found myself always reaching for that to play with my fingers because of how my arm hung over it. Took me a while to figure all this out and understand why I’d stopped reaching for the X7 ....... I couldn’t have and didn’t know this back when I got the X7. It’s been a journey...
So true, Ray. I am a long time finger picker, which is what I do about 70-75% of the time. One of the things that took some adaptation was how my arm draped over the bevel of the X20. It is far more comfortable on my forearm (no hard edge) but it does slightly change the positioning of my hand. I have adapted my technique, but it took a while to figure that out. Actually the bevel has hindered my strumming technique more. I seem to still be adapting there and not quite as accurate. Sometimes I hit the wrong bass string when doing boom-chuck style, which almost never happens on a square edged guitar. Such subtle things...... Even so I still reach for my X20 more than any other guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber