The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-11-2014, 10:23 PM

Default Durned iPad spell checker

I was just typing a reply in a thread and thought I typed "numerous." Apparently I mis-keyed somewhere along the way because when I looked at the reply, the word was "uterus." Thank goodness I read it before I posted it!
Ome Wizard banjo
Deering Eagle II Openback banjo

Full Time RVer mainly in California & Arizona
Old 12-12-2014, 04:49 AM

“Ode to My Spell Checker”

Eye halve a spelling checker
It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marks four my revue miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a quay and type a word and weight for it to say
Weather eye yam wrong oar write.
It shows me strait a weigh as soon as a mist ache is maid.
It nose bee fore two long and eye can put the error rite.
Its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it,
I am shore your pleased to no.
Its letter perfect awl the way.
My checker told me sew.

(Anonymous)

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Yes the spell check is very machine brainless.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcg View Post
I was just typing a reply in a thread and thought I typed "numerous." Apparently I mis-keyed somewhere along the way because when I looked at the reply, the word was "uterus." Thank goodness I read it before I posted it!
about a week ago someone was complaining to me about their voice to text recognition and mentioned the word uterus. go figure.

also, refret often gets corrected as regret. coincidence?
Old 12-12-2014, 09:38 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Here at the studio we have very advanced voice interpretation software tied into our voicemail and email system. When voicemail arrives in your email, there is an MP3 copy of the voicemail and a helpful text printout from the voice interpretation software. Two things are true about the voice interpretation software:

1. It never, ever, ever interprets a message right. In fact, it usually gets it so very, very wrong that it is absolutely useless and a waste of digital bandwidth.
2. It is, however, highly entertaining. We often call a person, read back the text interpretations of message he sent , and collapse into sobbing fits of laughter together. However, there is a downside: For some reason, when the software is confused it seems to default to a sexual meaning, leading to interpretations that would make a sailor blush. At other times the root interpretation is focused on some criminal activity that could land the sender in all sorts of trouble if it were taken to be the real content of the message.

Here is a typical interpretation that turned out clean and non-criminal:
Hi my name is Joanna xxxxx calling I went out and then Dyer at 4603 and I'm just calling I just wanna verify that the track for nature thank indeed that that we have on the parent lock.

And it would be under current SBC chillax -- media audio files final -- file screening videos.

And actually input that I don't tracking that that is the up the most updated track participating she is I wanna make sure that the right one make sure you know after cracked give me a call and call that would be great thank you bye.

Huh?

Computers are our friends!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-12-2014, 04:07 PM

Spell-check isn’t as bad as Auto-Complete--in order to override the suggested word, one has to tap the screen to click on the little tiny “X” in the suggested-word bubble. That means not looking at the onscreen keyboard, which itself can be disastrous for those of us with fat fingers, long nails, and who are used to using a normally-spaced physical keyboard for touch-typing. Makes for some truly bizarre FB posts!

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

Last edited by Chicago Sandy; 12-15-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:19 AM

I have a friend named Myron. His computer changes it every time he signs his name. To "Moron."

I tease him that you just can't fool them computers!

cotten
Old 12-15-2014, 02:01 PM

Every time I try to congratulate someone by typing “Mazel tov” on my iPhone, it auto-corrects to “Mabel toy.” My husband, who is not Jewish, shrugs and says “Steve Jobs & Tim Cook--goyische kopf."

Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

Old 12-15-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Every time I try to congratulate someone by typing “Mazel tov” on my iPhone, it auto-corrects to “Mabel toy.” My husband, who is not Jewish, shrugs and says “Steve Jobs & Tim Cook--goyische kopf."
And, Siri is such a shiksa, too! I tell her, "bagel", and she thinks I'm talking Italian!
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 12-17-2014, 12:57 AM

(Note--this is NOT a political post, nor a religious one. It simply illustrates the folly of AutoCorrect. It is merely a coincidence that it involved a certain politician and a religious symbol).

A Jewish organization in Milwaukee contacted WI Gov. Scott Walker during his days as Milwaukee County Executive and asked if it would be permissible to erect a Hanukkiah (the proper term for the nine-branched Hanukkah version of the traditional seven-branched menorah) in the courthouse square. Walker replied that it would, ending his letter “Happy Hanukkah, thank you, and Molotov.”

Not sure if he or his secretary had typed “Mazel tov”--which literally means “good luck” but is used idiomatically as “congratulations”--or the more linguistically correct “Yom Tov,” which literally translates as “good day” but means “good holiday” in Hebrew. But whoever coded the AutoCorrect program must have had a bizarre sense of humor. As Stephen Colbert pointed out, a Hanukkiah using Molotov cocktails instead of candles would truly be wondrous to behold.

Last edited by Chicago Sandy; 12-17-2014 at 04:20 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic