The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-17-2014, 02:20 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent
Default Owning a cover

Not a single guitar in this thread... but... I really like to see an artist owning a cover, bringing something different and unique to a well known song.

So, here we have a chap called Barak Melamed who is the CEO of Myth Labs who make headphones. He also plays piano and sings. His take on the Zeppelin classic 'Kashmir' is really striking. I've always loved the track. For me it's a monster of a tune. Made by Page working on various parts after coming across Davey Graham and his use of DADGAD tuning. I don't often like covers of it because they don't often scale the heights of the original. This one chooses not to scale those heights but, instead, meander introspectively around the foreshore...

Old 12-17-2014, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Nice job! The piano part is very well done, and the singing is quite different, kind of appealing. Very thoughtful song...

- Glenn
Old 12-17-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
I really like to see an artist owning a cover, bringing something different and unique to a well known song...
The Beatles built their early career on it - without exception I always liked their versions better than the originals...
Old 12-17-2014, 05:18 PM

I'm a huge Dylan fan and not at all a Jimi Hendrix fan, but Hendrix OWNS Al Along the Watchtower.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic