The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-19-2016, 06:54 AM

Talking Guitar buying advice and an icebreaker!

Hi guys!

My name is Liam. I'm a long time lurker on these forums, but a first time poster! I just wanted to use this thread to introduce myself and ask for a little bit of advice about buying a new guitar.

I've been playing guitar on and off for about 10 years now. At one time about five years ago, I was in a band with some friends from school and fastiduously practiced my electric guitar chops. Learning to play covers and originals in my favourite genre of post rock/indie music gave me a real buzz and purpose behind my guitar playing. I found that I rapidly improved as a player by playing music with other people too! Unfortunately, my band broke up and some of my favourite jamming buddies moved away. For a couple of years I still played guitar, learning tabs and playing along to records but it felt pretty pointless in contrast to what I was doing before. Naturally my interest waned and I played very little for a couple of years.

That all changed about 18 months ago though when I decided to pick up my guitar again and try and get back in the saddle. I still had trouble motivating myself to play electric, but for some reason I found myself spending three or four hours at a time jamming on my acoustic. I was pretty much just strumming David Bowie songs and singing away in my awful voice, but it had given me a new purpose to my playing again. I mean, it wasn't great! I'd certainly lost some of my fluidity and finger strength gained from playing electic all those years, but it was still music that could stand alone without a record playing in the background! I also really liked the simplicity of not having to struggle to set up my amp, leads and pedals and search for a decent tone (I'm terminally lazy...).

What started as laziness quickly changed though when I discovered - through the power of YouTube - a massive amount of great guitarists that I'd never heard of before. Players like Doc Watson, Robbie Basho, Stephan Grossman, Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, Merle Travis, Tommy Emmanuel, Laurence Juber... There's too many to mention! My favourite though has to be John Fahey. His brand of "American Primitive" guitar playing has really struck a chord with me. I even chose my username after one of his songs! I recently discovered that one of my favourite bands Two Gallants take him as a massive inspiration, and I can't say I'm surprised.

What has really resonated with me with fingerstyle acoustic guitar though is how non-linear a single guitar part can be. You can have a bassline, a lead part, a drumbeat and everything going on inside one instrument, and it has just made it fun for me to play on my own again. I hadn't realised how stale I'd become just using a flat pick. I think I really needed to break out of that box - not to never to return to it again, but to just reconnect with the guitar and keep my interest ticking over.

Now, that brings me on to the final part of my post (sorry it's so long!). I was actually looking for some advice from the sage like wisdom of the Acoustic Guitar Forum! Now that I know this isn't just a flash in the pan, I'd like to treat myself to a decent acoustic guitar. The one I've played for the past 9 years is lovely and I'd never want to part with it - it's a Blueridge BG40 by the way - but it's a dreadnought and I'd really like something that has more volume and a better tone for playing fingerstyle guitar. I was thinking along the lines of an Orchestra Model guitar.

The good news is that I've sold two of my electrics so I have about £1500 to spend. Not too shabby? I look forward to reading your suggestions
Old 07-19-2016, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Welcome Liam - nice story and intro post.

In Martin-esque terms, you might be interested in an OM or 000 bodied guitar. In Taylor-esque terms, you might be interested in a Grand Concert (x12) body style.

I only play acoustic with my fingers (fingerstyle, fingerpicked, fingerstrummed).

I found a cedar top to be significantly preferable. It's a softer wood so more responsive to a light finger-touch. I also found a short scale to be nice in that the string tension is lower and it works well with the cedar.

Now, conversely, an all mahogany Martin 000 was very lush sounding with fingerstyle.

I've had both of those - they are easily in your price range and wonderful for that style.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-19-2016, 07:11 AM

Welcome. Nice read. Congratulations on getting back into the guitar. About 3 years ago my grandson wanted a guitar for Christmas. I'd always wanted to play and decided to get one for myself. Had to be electric. Unfortunately we don't use an amp where I take lessons, so I decided an acoustic was in order so both of us could hear my mistakes easier. He played along with me on his acoustic to help me keep the timing down.

Long story short is the electric never gets played now. I found I love acoustic guitars.

I'm not qualified to recommend a guitar, but will lurk here to see what gets recommended. Good luck deciding. There are going to be a lot of different options open to you at that price. Deciding on just one can be tough.

Hagstrom Swede
Old 07-19-2016, 07:11 AM

You might like a used Taylor 814ce as well.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Well an Orchestra Model will not be as loud as a dreadnaught, generally speaking. You should go to as many guitar store and try as many guitars as you can. If u do this you will probably find the right instrument for you.

I love OM's. Although many people feel they are better suited for fingerstyle, I do not. I find my dreadnaughts just as versatile as my OM size guitars, only louder.

If you go into smaller guitars 00/parlor size I do find them better suited for fingerstyle but you will not get the same volume as a larger instrument. And even though they are small, I can still strum them as long as I do not dig too hard.

TRY TRT TRY new guitars. it is fun. You will not get the correct answer on this forum as to which guitar you will like the best. Only you will know after playing some different guitars.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:20 AM

Hi Liam, welcome to the board !

I can't tell you what guitar to buy, but you may find that one with a slightly wider nut and string spacing works best for the direction you are taking.

Many of us here prefer a 1.3/4" over the more common 1.11/16".

I don't know your whereabouts, but I would suggest visiting some shops if pos and see what grabs you. (Then look for a similar used one.)

Best o' Luck !
Old 07-19-2016, 07:49 AM

Welcome Liam! Your story is similar to mine. I also ended up loving fingerstyle guitar after years in bands playing electric. And for the same reasons, being able to play the bass, chords and melody with just yourself is an amazing thing.

If you have a chance to go out and play some different guitars, that's always a good place to start. You will get a feel for what works for you tone wise as well as what feels good in your hands. Different nut widths, string spacing at the saddle, neck profiles and body size all combine to make a guitar feel right to you or feel off. You can adapt to anything but certain specs will just fit better than others. An OM will cover all your playing styles and may be a good place to start. Eastman makes some great OMs, Martin OM21 is also a great guitar. There are too many in your budget to name. You might want to think about buying used here on the forum. You will get much more for your money buying used.
Good luck on your search and let us know what you end up with.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Welcome Liam,

And great post! So, love your list of players and I totally agree on Fahey! The Legend of Blind Joe Death, great album!! I would also suggest listening Pierre Bensusan if you haven't, more modern but finds some of his roots in Fahey, Jansch, and Graham. He is all over youtube and loves to tour. But then the list of great fs players goes on and on. Sorry for the unsolicited content. My only piece of advice on the guitar front is play a bunch of guitars with different necks, nut and saddle spacing, and even size. OMs are a great all around guitar but you might be surprised what inspires you.

Welcome and have fun!

Dean
Old 07-19-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Hi Liam, welcome to the board !

I can't tell you what guitar to buy, but you may find that one with a slightly wider nut and string spacing works best for the direction you are taking.

Many of us here prefer a 1.3/4" over the more common 1.11/16".

I don't know your whereabouts, but I would suggest visiting some shops if pos and see what grabs you. (Then look for a similar used one.)

Best o' Luck !
I use a pick and prefer the 1-3/4 inch nut width.

Liam, try a jumbo like the Alvarez AJ80 if you want loud. This guy says it will be the loudest guitar in the room. Not the size you are looking for, tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSkK4Qt32Ps

Hagstrom Swede
Old 07-19-2016, 10:47 AM

Wow! Thanks for the fast responses and warm welcome guys! I can tell I'll like posting on these boards

@fazool - Very interesting. I had never considered cedar topped guitars before you said this, but I'll certainly aim to try some now. Were there any models that you would recommend specifically? I have always been pretty hung up on the spruce/rosewood or spruce/mahogany combinations because that's mostly what I've seen my favourite guitar players using, but I'm open to trying anything

@Rockin2Slowly - I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to acoustics! After years of poring over electric guitars I think I've learned a fair amount about different makes there, but I'm still finding my feet in this world. It's cool that you play with your grandson . I'm actually teaching my brother to play right now from total beginner level.

@Dwight - I've tried a Taylor 314ce and 414ce, but never the 814ce. I'll keep that in mind on my travels. Thanks!

@baimo - I've no doubt that you're right! I've watched many guitarists like Stephan Grossman and John Fahey play fingerstyle on a dreadnought and they seem to have no problem getting volume! I guess I'd just like something a little different from what I have already, and as I'm not going to get rid of my dreadnought I thought that an OM might be quite a versatile choice with less bass and a more focused midrange for fingerstyle... I don't know though. I tend to just go off what I've read too much and I must admit that I've looked at the Gibson J-35 model very admiringly. If I could play one and I liked it, then I could still end up getting another dreadnought

@Long Jon - Thanks. I've not thought of that before but I'll keep that in mind. I'll ask the people in the shops I go to if the guitars I'm looking at have a wider nut width for fingerstyle. I have considered the neck profile I like though. I prefer "D" or oval shaped over "C" or "V" shaped. Those two can feel a bit unplayable for me. Maybe I just have small hands, or maybe it's just years of playing my Blueridge that's made me feel at home with it.

@ Fret-O'File - Ah yes, you read my mind! I have been looking at the Martin OM-21 and OM-28's very interestedly. I think that an OM would suit me better than a 000 because I want it for fingerstyle and would probably have it in lower tunings so the string tension would be better on an OM as opposed to a 000 which would be better for bends... I'm freestyling my knowledge a bit here so please correct me if I'm wrong! It's a bit of a bummer that the 21 and 28 series are so much though. I'd definitely be interested in a secondhand one, but I do like to actually inspect and play my guitars before I buy them...

@GuitarDean - Thanks for the welcome and the listening suggestion! I can't say I've heard Pierre Bensusan yet but I'm always looking for more stuff to listen to so I'll check his stuff out! And yeah, I'm trying as many guitars as I can. I'm not too worried about the name on the headstock. I've played lots of nice Chinese guitars as well as American. My Blueridge is chinese after all!

I should have probably mentioned to you guys that I have been looking for about a month with a mind to buying a new guitar. I've only been in about four shops so far, but I've tried out a few guitars that interested me.

I've tried a Taylor 314 and 414, and a Martin GPAPA4. I've also tried a few guitars in the Guild "Westerly" range. All of the guitars impressed me on some level. I actually found the Taylors to be the nicest fit for me overall so far because I liked the neck profile. I found the neck profile on the Martin to be very nice too, but I thought it was a bit lame how a £1500 still has a richlite fingerboard... My current guitar already has laminated woods and I really wanted a bonafide 100% all wood guitar for both aesthetic and tonal reasons. Just didn't like the feel of the richlite.

The guitars I'm actually considering trying next are the Larrivee OM-03 and OM-40 guitars in their various wood combinations, The Eastman OM10 and OM20, the Lakewood M-14 (cedar top!) and the Furch OM33SR/SM and Furch OM31SR/SM.

Does anyone have any opinions on Larrivee, Eastman, Lakewood and Furch? Any favourites?
Old 07-19-2016, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Welcome Liam!

As for the Taylor route; I would recommend one of the 12 Fret Grand Concert models. Great for fingerstyle, comfortable to play, & nice projection (though probably not as 'loud' as a dread or a Grand Orchestra).
2015 Taylor 914ce First Edition
2014 Taylor 812ce 12 fret First Edition
2014 Taylor 324ce FLTD Koa
2009 Taylor 954ce 12 string
1966 Gretsch Country Gentleman
Old 07-19-2016, 11:38 AM

I'll leave the advice the others, but I wanted to chime in and say welcome to the forum.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:55 AM

Welcome to the forum Liam. Although I don't feel qualified to make a recommendation on a guitar purchase, I wish you the best in your quest.
Brad
Old 07-20-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedPony View Post
@ Fret-O'File - Ah yes, you read my mind! I have been looking at the Martin OM-21 and OM-28's very interestedly. I think that an OM would suit me better than a 000 because I want it for fingerstyle and would probably have it in lower tunings so the string tension would be better on an OM as opposed to a 000 which would be better for bends... I'm freestyling my knowledge a bit here so please correct me if I'm wrong! It's a bit of a bummer that the 21 and 28 series are so much though. I'd definitely be interested in a secondhand one, but I do like to actually inspect and play my guitars before I buy them...
If you like the Martin OM 21 & 28, then you should definitely try to play an Eastman E6, E8, E10 & E20 Oms, the 6 & 8 are Sitka tops and the 10 & 20 are Adi tops. I have the E8 & E20 and both are fantastic guitars. You can pick them up new for well under your budget and can find one used and have plenty left over for another guitar or amp and or your savings account. Easily the equal of the 21 & 28 if not better to some ears.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin2Slowly View Post
I use a pick and prefer the 1-3/4 inch nut width.

Liam, try a jumbo like the Alvarez AJ80 if you want loud. This guy says it will be the loudest guitar in the room. Not the size you are looking for, tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSkK4Qt32Ps
I have an AJ80 and it is not the loudest guitar at my indoor jam session... but that is with the light-gauge strings that came with it. I will be changing soon to some Monel mediums so that may change, although I understand the Monels are not as loud as most medium-gaugers.

And volume, or course, depends upon your playing style ... heavy or medium-heavy pick, agressive attack, etc. I'm am not a pounder.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice, fingerstyle, first post, new guitar