The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-25-2015, 05:50 PM

Axe, the family has moved over here so you can stay!
Old 10-25-2015, 07:07 PM

CarbonAxe, I'm going to join in on the pestering for you to drop in to this new carbon colony. It wouldn't be the same without you!
Old 10-25-2015, 07:26 PM

Dear CarbonAxe,

While I may have been a newbie to both the CF cult over at MacNichol, I certainly am not here. I feel like I really missed out on a lot over there! However, now it is gone, and really it kind of had been for the last several months. I had a grand total of 88 or so posts but they were all in the CF section, and I did purchase my RainSong from Michael. That counts for something right?

What ever it was that you contributed over there sounds significant. Pardon my ignorance but do ask that you impart your Jedi level knowledge to us mortals over here. After all, you are the guy with the pick avatar emblazoned with "Carbon Axe".

See? I do know at least THAT much
Old 10-25-2015, 08:02 PM

Sad but still playing.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:46 AM

Default aww shucks fellas

You guys are the best. This whole thing has been awful hard on me, as I know it has for many (and I feel especially bad for Michael). Even when I wasn't posting, I still visited on a regular basis to get a dose of the wholesome humanity mixed with Carbon Fiber lore that was always on display there.

As far as posting here, things are purty crazy for me right now, but i will surely try to stay in touch. I see that in addition to you fine gentlemen (and Ms. Penny of course), Double is here, and I like the idea of throwing something out there now and then that might set him off on a tonal tirade.

And Steely, here is a hot C.F. Jedi tip for ya: find one those Planet Waves O-Port cones on Amazon (about $15) and give it a go in your favorite CF axe. I have been experimenting with them lately, and they make a noticeable and very nice difference in richness of tone, especially in the Emeralds. Sorry Tom, and Double, and Uncle, but I don't think they make an offset version. However, Mr B., I would be very interested to find out if it makes a difference for a nylon string instrument. And for the record, what is your axe of choice New2?
Old 10-26-2015, 03:06 PM
Guest 928

Axe Man;

Ah ha! you didn't jump off a bridge. And craziness is no excuse for deserting this forum. The whole world has gone crazy and you come here for some sanity. And as you can tell, I am not alone in wanting to keep your company.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonAxe View Post
C.F. Jedi tip for ya: find one those Planet Waves O-Port cones on Amazon (about $15) and give it a go in your favorite CF axe. I have been experimenting with them lately, and they make a noticeable and very nice difference in richness of tone, especially in the Emeralds.
Planet Waves O-Port cone sizes run as follows:

Small Size - Fits 3.375 inches - 3.5 inches
Large Size - Fits 3.875 inches - 4 inches

Odd...The round center sound-hole on my early model Emerald X7 is 3.750".
I don't understand why there is a gap between (small) 3.5 and (large) 3.875.

I guess neither size will fit the early X7's? I'd like to give this a try.

William
Old 10-26-2015, 09:01 PM

Thanks CA,

I might try it on my Lucky13.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 10-26-2015, 09:11 PM

Default Good to be back

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Axe Man;
And craziness is no excuse for deserting this forum. The whole world has gone crazy and you come here for some sanity.
You're right of course old friend. There is stability in music, and the people who pursue it. It is a common ground that transcends the craziness of life. It is good to be back, and I greatly appreciate the warm welcome.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warndt View Post
Odd...The round center sound-hole on my early model Emerald X7 is 3.750".
I don't understand why there is a gap between (small) 3.5 and (large) 3.875.
William
Hi William,
I have the same problem with a mahogany Journey that I recently purchased. Here is my plan. I'm going to take the larger size, cut a slice out of it, place it in the sound hole, then tape it back together once it is in there. I'll let you know how it works out.
Axe
Old 10-26-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Thanks CA,

I might try it on my Lucky13.

Cheers,
Tom
Let us know how it works out Tom. I have a feeling it just might do well in a Lucky.
Axe
Old 10-26-2015, 10:32 PM

Whoa. I just tried the old site and kinda freaked.

Oh well. Thanks again, Michael. Peace!
Old 10-27-2015, 07:55 AM

Default Buzz!

One by one this raggedy band of merry men (and Ms. Penny of course) are coming back together in the virtual forest.

Buzz, I wanted to take this opportunity to blame you for my lack of forum participation over the past six months. I have always been grateful for the way you have shared your musical journey with everyone. However, your rendition of Wagon Wheel (I think it was at a gig at some resort), really inspired me to try to learn to sing. The timing was perfect. Not long after, my daughter started taking voice lessons and then coming home and teaching me everything she learned.

So, truth is, I have been consumed with efforts to sing these past six months, and it's all your fault. I am happy to report that while I still cant sing Wagon Wheel very well, I can choke out a few Johnny Cash songs, and it has been great fun.
Thank you Sir. You have been an inspiration to me.
Axe
Old 10-27-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonAxe View Post
One by one this raggedy band of merry men (and Ms. Penny of course) are coming back together in the virtual forest.

Buzz, I wanted to take this opportunity to blame you for my lack of forum participation over the past six months. I have always been grateful for the way you have shared your musical journey with everyone. However, your rendition of Wagon Wheel (I think it was at a gig at some resort), really inspired me to try to learn to sing. The timing was perfect. Not long after, my daughter started taking voice lessons and then coming home and teaching me everything she learned.

So, truth is, I have been consumed with efforts to sing these past six months, and it's all your fault. I am happy to report that while I still cant sing Wagon Wheel very well, I can choke out a few Johnny Cash songs, and it has been great fun.
Thank you Sir. You have been an inspiration to me.
Axe
You're far too kind. Those get-togethers were special. Really good memory.

Singing is wonderful for the soul. Luckily, Wagon Wheel must be sung off-key or you're thought to be a poser.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:22 PM

I was surprised to find out MacNichol had closed the forum without notice. Part of the reason was I was one of the ones who offered to move the forum content and host it. I was told someone else was already taking it on and I understood that meant it the forum was continuing.

Time changes things but it is sad to all that lost content and CF history gone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber