The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-10-2015, 06:07 PM

Default Stringing the Arches

Hey there,

I don't post very often, but I'd like to draw on the vast experience of you folks to ask a question.

I've got a Gibson Special-7 archtop ('41), and may soon own a second archtop, and I wonder if you have any guidelines as to how I might think about strings differently on archtops versus flattops. The Gibson I have been using Curt Mangan PB mediums, which I really like, so I don't know that I have to go searching for something different. I've read various people comment on half-wounds (are they still made for acoustics?) and flatwounds; I put flatwounds on one of my electrics and enjoy the different feel but I imagine they'd have a more pronounced effect on the sound of a (no-pickup) acoustic.

I do like playing around with different strings, too, so I'm kind of interested in giving some other stuff a try. Any particular direction to head towards, or to avoid?

S

Collings DS2HMapA
Collings CL Dlx
Etc.
Bill Collings '78 Brazilian
Old 02-10-2015, 08:50 PM

Experimenting with different strings is basically the best way to understand your guitar, so you should try everything and learn for yourself.

But, since you asked...

I use standard acoustic strings on my acoustic archtops. I like phosphor bronze on some, and I like 85/15s or 80/20s on others. I like .012s on some and .013s on others.

On my '46 L-5 I really like GHS Vintage Bronze .013s, which are 85/15 alloy. To me they are mellower than PB's or 80/20s. I don't buy the story that bigger strings are always better, but sometimes they really bring out the best in a guitar. Old, 17" Gibson archtops are often pretty heavy (not all but most) and they really seem to go for the mediums.

My modern archtops OTOH are all lighter and like the .012s, and even the brightness of PB's.

Just for the record, I do try flat wounds about once per year, and so far I've drawn the same conclusion for about 20 straight years: I hate them.

Play. Have fun.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 02-11-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
I use standard acoustic strings on my acoustic archtops. I like phosphor bronze on some, and I like 85/15s or 80/20s on others. I like .012s on some and .013s on others.

On my '46 L-5 I really like GHS Vintage Bronze .013s, which are 85/15 alloy. To me they are mellower than PB's or 80/20s. I don't buy the story that bigger strings are always better, but sometimes they really bring out the best in a guitar. Old, 17" Gibson archtops are often pretty heavy (not all but most) and they really seem to go for the mediums.

My modern archtops OTOH are all lighter and like the .012s, and even the brightness of PB's.

Just for the record, I do try flat wounds about once per year, and so far I've drawn the same conclusion for about 20 straight years: I hate them..
Similarly, I use PBs on my archtops, 12s or 13s depending on the scale length and which gauge feels/sounds best on a particular guitar.

I mainly use Thomastik strings, both Spectrums (brighter, higher tension) and Plectrums (mellower, lower tension - they're a mix of round- and flat-wound). The Plectrums can be a good choice on older guitars with more 'delicate' necks. I also like the GHS Vintage 85/15s.

Have fun trying out a few different strings! Then you'll know for sure what works best on a particular guitar.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:31 AM

Just my 2 cents I have the Elixer medium light`s round wound on my Campellone all acoustic, they really fir the bill...
Old 02-11-2015, 07:12 PM

Thanks, all, for the tips. I am the consummate String Trier Outer, and I really enjoy swapping sets to see what I might like better.

First, on flatwounds: I have done exactly the same thing over the past few years. I get a yen to try out flatwounds on an acoustic every so often and put a set on and immediately remind myself why I'm not putting them on everything. Flatwound flatsound. Bleh. As I mentioned, I really do like how they feel, and I have a set of (either TI or Pyramid) flatwounds on one electric right now.

Speaking of TI strings, I have used Spectrums and like them, but I feel like the gauges of Plectrums are in a weird spot. They don't really fit the specs on many of my guitars (most of whom are Collingseses) and I guess I've been loath to try the bigger-gauge low strings. 0.059 seems a lot larger than 0.056; maybe I'm just being a baby.

GHS Vintage 85-15s are a new one for me, though; I'll have to get some!

Stuart

Collings DS2HMapA
Collings CL Dlx
Etc.
Bill Collings '78 Brazilian
Old 02-12-2015, 05:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturob View Post
Hey there,

I don't post very often, but I'd like to draw on the vast experience of you folks to ask a question.

I've got a Gibson Special-7 archtop ('41), and may soon own a second archtop, and I wonder if you have any guidelines as to how I might think about strings differently on archtops versus flattops. The Gibson I have been using Curt Mangan PB mediums, which I really like, so I don't know that I have to go searching for something different. I've read various people comment on half-wounds (are they still made for acoustics?) and flatwounds; I put flatwounds on one of my electrics and enjoy the different feel but I imagine they'd have a more pronounced effect on the sound of a (no-pickup) acoustic.

I do like playing around with different strings, too, so I'm kind of interested in giving some other stuff a try. Any particular direction to head towards, or to avoid?

S
Hi Stuart,
I use D'Addario EJ-16 wounds, and medium plains on my '27 Gibson L-5, which is played strictly acoustic.

Here's a sample for you:
http://www.howardemerson.com/music/tale-to-tell/15.mp3

I've never minded string squeak, etc.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
http://howardemerson.com/index.html
Old 02-12-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturob View Post
First, on flatwounds: I have done exactly the same thing over the past few years. I get a yen to try out flatwounds on an acoustic every so often and put a set on and immediately remind myself why I'm not putting them on everything. Flatwound flatsound. Bleh. As I mentioned, I really do like how they feel, and I have a set of (either TI or Pyramid) flatwounds on one electric right now.

Speaking of TI strings, I have used Spectrums and like them, but I feel like the gauges of Plectrums are in a weird spot. They don't really fit the specs on many of my guitars (most of whom are Collingseses) and I guess I've been loath to try the bigger-gauge low strings. 0.059 seems a lot larger than 0.056; maybe I'm just being a baby.
If you like the feel of flatwounds, I know D'Addario and others make a 'half-round' string, which some folks like.

I also find the TI Plectrum 59s sometimes seem too big (although they sound fine, and are pretty low tension). I sometimes by the 54s as single strings, and use them with the rest of the 12-59 set.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:02 PM

Howard, love the sound!
Old 02-12-2015, 12:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakman View Post
Howard, love the sound!
Thank you, K-man!

Stuart: I think you need to think about the archtop in a different way than the archtop has generally been viewed.

The tendency, for many years, was flat wounds & a magnetic pickup. For all intents and purposes it was Jimmy D'Aquisto and John Monteleone who started exploring archtops, acoustically, with a wider, fuller, open sound with more sustain.

Round wound strings will help that more than flat wounds or half/ground wounds, but there's a trade off in many cases.

If the archtop is one that is not very full sounding, then you might end up with a very strident/brassy/bright sound with bronze round wound strings. Nickel strings can actually tame that quite a bit, and gauge for gauge they are lower tension than the commensurate bronze wound strings. Nickel is a lighter weight material, so that's why the tension is lower than a similar bronze string.

Flat wounds will be duller still, and that can help tame a bright instruments, but they lack in openness.

You've got a very rare guitar!

Regards,
Howard
http://howardemerson.com
Old 02-12-2015, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

I buzzed around the block - now use plain ol' EJ17s on my Gibson L-7 and my Harmony Monterey.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:21 PM

My '47' came to me supplied with 12-54 PB's , but for the past year I have had John Pearse medium nickel strings on & they have been really nice,good tone,long lasting,& affordable.
I can also echo Howard's sentiments regarding gentler feel & lower tension that nickel strings seem to afford, I only wish I could echo his technique & ability.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:57 AM

Howard`s talent blow`s me away,man he is one gifted player,at the top IMO.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops