The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-01-2015, 11:02 AM

Default Benedetto!

First, let me confess that I am not an archtop, jazz player, though I've long enjoyed both the music and the guitars themselves. I knew that one of the world's most coveted of jazz instruments are birthed in Savannah, Georgia, where my wife and I visited for a few days after Christmas. Though I have long admired Benedetto guitars from afar, I'd never had the pleasure of playing one.

Earlier this week, I decided to at least drive by to see their shop, thinking they would surely be closed. I was right, but there was a car outside so I took a chance and rang the bell anyway. Who would answer the door but their President and CEO himself, Howard Paul! He was most gracious, and invited me in to take a look around and try out some of his treasures! I was too astounded and appreciative of this extraordinary opportunity to do anything but accept his invitation into Jazz Guitar Heaven!

Howard was answering a call and replying to messages, so he sat me down in his office while he finished, inviting me to try any of the guitars hanging on his wall, one of each of their extensive lineup. Remember that I told you I'm not a jazz player? He IS (! - check out his Youtube offerings), but I was too enthralled to be intimidated. I played what I play, and was having a ball - these are incredible guitars by any standard!

When he finished his task and came over to me, he was kind and gracious. I'm sure he recognized that I'm not his usual customer, but he quickly put me at ease, answering my questions and describing the features available. Maybe it helped that his dog seemed to like my playing, I don't know... Howard even showed me his personal 7-string guitar, with the added low A. I thought I'd be lost on it, but found that I could adapt very quickly. I think he said the 7-string option was $500, and could be added to any of their guitars. I like it!

I expected my visit end there, but Howard asked if I would like to see the shop. Would I?!! OF COURSE! Since no one else was there, I got a personal tour of the entire place, starting with the Wood Room, where all their tone wood, mostly flamed maple, European spruce, and ebony, are dried and stored. I was glad I had learned a little, at least, about such things here on the AGF, so I could appreciate what I was seeing and ask questions that were not totally stupid. Maybe...

Then it was on to the Rough Mill, where those raw wood pieces are introduced to the idea of becoming a guitar. There were machines for cutting, shaping, tapering, routing, etc., but at first I completely missed the one rather small, older model CNC machine that seems to be used mostly for inlay work. I was surprised at just how much of the magic of creating a Benedetto is done "by hand." Oh, there are machines of course, but it is hardly the assembly line automated process I'd seen elsewhere.

I got to see a bit about how a solid top is roughed out by machine, then hand carved to just the right arch, giving it a distinctive, drum like tone when tapped. It's no wonder these guitars respond so beautifully! Next there were necks, in various stages of creation from the raw blank to ready-for-finishing. Benedetto has standard shapes, sizes and profiles of course, but custom orders seem to be their specialty. There were several bodies waiting to have their dovetail joint with the neck routed, and several already completed.

Then it was on to the sanding, prep and finishing areas. All I can tell you here is that it's all very much hands-on work, involving many steps by careful, highly trained luthiers. Amazing! Then came the final buffing and polishing, with pickups, tuners and bridges added, and an incredibly beautiful guitar would be in my trembling hands, something that had been exquisitely created from raw wood just a few feet away!

Howard allowed me to take pictures, but I was hardly prepared, never dreaming I'd have an opportunity like this. I'll post some stills I took later, but for now, let me simply add this link to a Youtube video tour produced by someone else in 2010. I saw those same things, and I was having a hard enough time avoiding drooling! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uipbCj-74k

Did I get to bring one home with me? Sadly, no. Even an inexpensive guitar is a major purchase in our household, but I now have a new item on my Wish List! Benedetto sells their guitars directly, so if you want to find out about various models, options, pricing, etc., I'd suggest checking out their web site, benedettoguitars.com, or contacting Howard personally. [email protected], or via phone (912) 692-1400. He is a gracious, friendly guy who is as knowledgeable and enthusiastic about their guitars as he is easy to talk to. (Call please, before just showing up the way I did.)

I was a fan of Benedetto before this visit. Now I am a HUGE FAN!

cotten
Old 01-01-2015, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

That's cool and quite a treat.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:29 PM

What a great story! It's nice to see such hospitality even after the company has hit "big time"

Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

I am a huge fan too. Thank you for sharing this with us, Cotton.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:17 PM

What a cool story.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-02-2015, 09:41 AM

Awesome story John. Thank you for posting it.

I met Bob Benedetto at the Healdsburg Guitar Festival a few years ago. He seemed liked one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Very down-to-earth and very inviting/welcoming.

I too would really love to have one of his guitars someday.

Last edited by Livingston; 01-03-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:10 PM

When I was looking to buy an archtop, I wanted a Benedetto. However, Mandolin Bros. were out of them and I ended up grabbing a Heritage Golden Eagle. Still wish I had waited for a Benedetto....This was right before his prices shot up.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:02 PM

While I was at the Benedetto shop, I got to sample both their flagship guitars, those that range upward from $20,000 or so, to their "plywood" models, those made with three thin layers of the exact same woods used in their more expensive guitars. These were probably closer to $6,000. That's still a lot of money, of course, but I was no less impressed. In the right hands, it would take a very discriminating ear to hear the difference.

I knew I'd love their most expensive guitars, and I was not disappointed in any way. They're fabulous! I didn't expect to be so impressed by their less expensive models. They're fabulous, too, and for my use, probably a wiser choice. I certainly wouldn't turn up my nose at anything with "Benedetto" on it!

cotten
Old 01-02-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
When I was looking to buy an archtop, I wanted a Benedetto. However, Mandolin Bros. were out of them and I ended up grabbing a Heritage Golden Eagle. Still wish I had waited for a Benedetto....This was right before his prices shot up.
Why couldn't you order directly from Benedetto? Their website has direct sales.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
While I was at the Benedetto shop, I got to sample both their flagship guitars, those that range upward from $20,000 or so, to their "plywood" models, those made with three thin layers of the exact same woods used in their more expensive guitars. These were probably closer to $6,000. That's still a lot of money, of course, but I was no less impressed. In the right hands, it would take a very discriminating ear to hear the difference.

I knew I'd love their most expensive guitars, and I was not disappointed in any way. They're fabulous! I didn't expect to be so impressed by their less expensive models. They're fabulous, too, and for my use, probably a wiser choice. I certainly wouldn't turn up my nose at anything with "Benedetto" on it!

cotten
Does Mr. Benedetto himself still build the top-of-the-line guitars? I cannot comprehend spending $30,000 on a Cremona only to have someone else build it.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:33 AM

I really can't answer that, kkfan. I did see his "station" in the shop so I assume he's still actively building, but I didn't think to ask if he would personally do 100% of the work on certain guitars or if they would use their normal team approach. I'm not a connoisseur of these instruments, but among those flagship models I sampled, I could not detect any hint of a drop off in quality. They were uniformly superb, though each had, as expected, it's own "personality." If you are interested in having only Bob to build you a Benedetto, I think your first step would be to call them and ask.

I did not see their current price list the first times I went through their web site, perhaps because I was more interested in the guitars themselves, but tonight I discovered this. http://benedettoguitars.com/wp-conte...une-1-2014.pdf None are what I would call inexpensive, but I was actually surprised to discover that six of their Flagship models can be had for $15,000 or less, while the Sinfonietta tops out the lineup at $40,000. The 3-ply Professional Series ranges from $4,500 to $6,750. If I ever buy a new Benedetto, it will likely come from this group, as they would fit both my musical and financial concerns. (Used Benedettos seem to be pretty rare. People hang on to them and pass them down as heirlooms!)

Don't know if it's still available, but Howard showed me a beautiful Flagship guitar, can't remember the model, that while "new" it is technically used, since it had been out of the shop. It was originally $20,000+, but he'll sell it for half that. Boy, if I were able...

I need to upload a few of the pictures I took while I was there so I can paste them here. (A few are on my Facebook wall already.) I'm sure I'm going to calm down about my unexpected tour of Benedetto guitars in a few days or months, but right now I'm still thrilled and amazed!

cotten
Old 01-03-2015, 04:47 AM
Charter Member

Bob Benedetto and Howard Paul run a wonderful "small shop" factory where for the most part, Bob's craft has been taught to a team of others who execute most of the instruments; even the high end part of their range. I believe Bob plays a more of a teaching, oversight and inspection role these days other than on very special commissions (like the anniversary guitar presented at Woodstock in 2013). I believe Bob is now 68 years old. Bob had his individual luthier shops in New Jersey, Florida and Pennsylvania across the years (1968-1999) where he earned his reputation as a premier archtop luthier before going into a licensing agreement with Fender for about 7-years.

The shop that Howard and he set up in Savannah is where his teachings and craft have continued for the last 8-years. Like other luthiers perhaps more familiar to this forum; Dana Bourgeois (Pantheon), Bill Collings (Collings), Richard Hoover (Santa Cruz), Jeff Huss/Mark Dalton (Huss & Dalton), Michael Millard (Froggy Bottom), Benedetto Guitars has moved into the realm of being a very high quality small shop factory many years ago. Bob moved away from individual luthiery as a business about 15-years ago.

Quote:
I really can't answer that, kkfan. I did see his "station" in the shop so I assume he's still actively building, but I didn't think to ask if he would personally do 100% of the work on certain guitars or if they would use their normal team approach. I'm not a connoisseur of these instruments, but among those flagship models I sampled, I could not detect any hint of a drop off in quality. They were uniformly superb, though each had, as expected, it's own "personality." If you are interested in having only Bob to build you a Benedetto, I think your first step would be to call them and ask.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:11 AM

Default Benedetto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Bob Benedetto and Howard Paul run a wonderful "small shop" factory where for the most part, Bob's craft has been taught to a team of others who execute most of the instruments; even the high end part of their range. I believe Bob plays a more of a teaching, oversight and inspection role these days other than on very special commissions (like the anniversary guitar presented at Woodstock in 2013). I believe Bob is now 68 years old. Bob had his individual luthier shops in New Jersey, Florida and Pennsylvania across the years (1968-1999) where he earned his reputation as a premier archtop luthier before going into a licensing agreement with Fender for about 7-years.

The shop that Howard and he set up in Savannah is where his teachings and craft have continued for the last 8-years. Like other luthiers perhaps more familiar to this forum; Dana Bourgeois (Pantheon), Bill Collings (Collings), Richard Hoover (Santa Cruz), Jeff Huss/Mark Dalton (Huss & Dalton), Michael Millard (Froggy Bottom), Benedetto Guitars has moved into the realm of being a very high quality small shop factory many years ago. Bob moved away from individual luthiery as a business about 15-years ago.
Thanks a lot for that insight.

As good as Bob's students may be, if I were thinking of spending $30,000 on a guitar with the name of a particular luthier on it, I would want that very same luthier to be the one who crafts my instrument. After all, the Benedetto reputation was established by Mr. Benedetto.

It was not a case of Mr. Benedetto simply forming a company under his name and his workers establishing the reputation for him. Instead, it was all him! It was his knowledge and, most importantly, it was his expertise that created the guitars that created the reputation.

Unfortunately, no matter how much he teaches his team the art and craft of making a fine archtop guitar, he CANNOT impart on to the team his expertise. That's something one gains for oneself over time and with much practice.

Last edited by kkfan; 01-04-2015 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:

cotten
Keep an eye out for used guitars. I got my Benedetto Bravo Elite for less than half price. It's eight years old but there isn't a mark on it. You'll have to wait a while but the deals are out there.

Cincy
Old 01-04-2015, 12:49 PM

I was an apprentice there for a few years and left just over 6 months ago, iim7V7IM7 is right its a small crew that builds there (5 luthiers, 1 finisher, 1 setup guy to be exact!). Bob does still do some building on higher end guitars but he mostly inspects them as stated above, He does still touch and see every guitar that leaves the shop tho! Like kkfan said his 46 years of building is something you just can't teach but Bob once told me "You guys already have an upper hand on me because I didn't have a teacher and I'm teaching you at the age I started building!" We certainly don't know what he does but he is definitely laying a good foundation for us!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops