The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-31-2014, 08:57 AM

Default Gretsch G5120 a Dud - Help Me Update

All:

I have a new Gretsch G5120 that does not play or sound too good. Since this was a Christmas present from my wife - I'm not about to get rid of this guitar -(and since there is no hope of her reading this forum - I'm pretty safe she won't be upset with my assessment ) Anyway - I'm pretty sure with new electronics this thing can sing. Regarding the playability, I have already made some advances in that - but intonation is pretty bad - so I'm thinking a new nut and bridge could help. So here are my questions:

#1 What electronics do you recommend, and why - for what type of playing?
#2 Does anyone have any experience with this model and found it unworthy of upgrading?

I appreciate you comments!

-Don
Old 12-31-2014, 10:22 AM

…as a follow up;

I've reviewed some pickups, and have found the TV Jones Classic a pretty nice option. It seems the English Mount with no ring would fit the 5120 - does any know if that is correct?

Thanks

-D
Old 12-31-2014, 11:17 AM

I have one very similar. I didn't like it out of the box. I upgraded the tuners but what I found is that it really needed heavier strings. I think I have 12's on it now.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:28 AM

Consider a set of TV JONES MagnaTron pickups. They completely transformed my Gretsch Tennessee Rose with THICK tone.

My favorite music to play is Rockabilly.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:23 PM

Default Gretsch G5120 a Dud - Help Me Update

As I recall, if you look over at gretch-talk.com this is a pretty common subject that gets a lot of attention.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingoccc View Post
I have one very similar...what I found is that it really needed heavier strings. I think I have 12's on it now.
+1 - go with the heavier strings, adjust the truss rod, and reset the bridge saddles for proper intonation before you start ripping out the guts - you'd be surprised just how much difference this can make with a hollowbody...
Old 01-01-2015, 04:28 PM

when I finish a guitar I spend between a week or two weeks setting it up. And this is not uncommon. The bigger manufacturers just can't spend that amount of time setting their instruments up, it's doesn't work into their business model and at $500-$2,000 price tags isn't really economical. So most factory made instruments really should have some time spent setting things up out of the box. I wouldn't conclude that it's a dud, it's pretty amazing what a great set up can do for an instrument.

I would encourage you, if you haven't already, to take it to a local luthier for a thorough set up. Should t cost you more than $60 or so. They can adjust the bridge placement if needed for intonation, get the action just right, do a once over in the electronics etc... Then make your assessment of the guitar and go from there with whatever mods you think are needed.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:08 AM

All:
Thanks for the comments. Here are a few of my thoughts as well:

Bingocc: I am using 12's that feels right to me as well
StuartDay: Agreed - Actually I got the Instrument in 2013 - just haven't played it much thus the 'new' attribute. I fortunately can do my own setups and have done for years. Occasionally I'll need tools that I don't own and I will take an instrument to folks in town that can do the work. Since I see you're from Pittsburgh - you probably know the guys I go to.

6L6: I am interested why your selection of the Mags over the TV Classic. Very tough decision.

I appreciate y'all's input

-Don
Old 01-03-2015, 12:26 PM

I had a G5120. It played well but sounded blaw. Here is what I did for relatively low $$$
-changed the bridge to a Compton brass bridge $60. Better sustain and clarity.
-Installed genuine Gretsch HS Filtertrons. $120 pair. I know everyone crows about TV Jones but many Gretschites prefer these and they are less than 1/2 the price.
-replaced the 3/4" Asian Bigsby spring with a 1" US Bigsby spring $10. Gives the Bigsby a firmer feel and better tuning.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:57 AM

D:
Thanks for this post - great suggestions! BTW I think the instrument is sounding better thanks to this thread alone

-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
I had a G5120. It played well but sounded blaw. Here is what I did for relatively low $$$
-changed the bridge to a Compton brass bridge $60. Better sustain and clarity.
-Installed genuine Gretsch HS Filtertrons. $120 pair. I know everyone crows about TV Jones but many Gretschites prefer these and they are less than 1/2 the price.
-replaced the 3/4" Asian Bigsby spring with a 1" US Bigsby spring $10. Gives the Bigsby a firmer feel and better tuning.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:07 PM

If you're budget is really tight I suggest looking into the Filtertron style pickups at GFS - http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Retr...ries_c_99.html
Old 02-03-2015, 07:18 AM

Default Gretsch-Talk Forum

Gretsch - Talk Forum is a good Gretsch Forum. Really cool folks there who'd be more than happy to give you specifics.

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/
Old 02-19-2015, 09:03 AM

I have a Gretsch 5120. I found the guitar played great, but was lacking in good tone. I decided on TV Jones Classic/Classic+ combination and a Compton stainless bridge. The guitar now plays as nice and sounds as good as my pro line Gretsches. good luck
Guild A-150 Savoy, T-50 Slim
Reverend PA-1
Fender Std. Tele
2 Tele partcasters
Taylor 810-LTD, 314-MCE, 717-BE
Martin HD-35, D-18, 00-28, CEO-7, OM-28, 000-18, 00015-sm, M-36
Carr Rambler
Fender ‘68 Custom Deluxe Reverb
Takamine 12-string
1966 Strat
1966 Ampeg Gemini I
1964 Kay archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops