The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2013, 09:57 AM

Default Long time electric player, suggestion for first acoustic?

Hey guys,

New to this forum... I've been playing electric guitars for about 10 years, mostly Rock, Metal, Blues and some softer Jazz.
I always wanted an acoustic but only recently I've started listening to some acoustic artists like Al Dimeola, Tommy Emmanuel and others and think it's really about time that I'll get one.

I don't want to buy something cheap on the expense of it sounding and playing well... I really like great guitar tone and playability. On the other hand, I'm not looking to buy a 2000$ guitar (like an high end Taylor or Martin).

A store near my house holds a lot of Seagull models, and I thought of buying one since I've read a lot of great reviews about Seagull guitars, and they're definitely in my price range (even the better models are).

I've been thinking about the Seagull Maritime SWS Q1 Mahogany (or Rosewood). Can anyone comment about those or has any suggestion about which guitar to buy? Is there anything else I should pay attention to when buying a new acoustic guitar after playing mostly electric?

Anyone who's commenting, please do your best to comment about Seagull models since this is most likely what will be easiest for me to buy.

Thanks!

Miki
Old 09-26-2013, 10:04 AM

Seagulls are nice guitars. One thing to note is that their nut width is a little larger than 1 3/4". Coming from electric, I'm guessing you are used to 1 11/16". For some people it is a big issue and a deal breaker. For others it's no big deal. There are a lot of guitars around the price of that Seagull. Play a bunch. The winner will stand out.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:08 AM

Check out the Yamaha L series or A series. Wonderful sound, well made and slim neck like you are used to.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 09-26-2013, 11:08 AM

I really don't mind getting used to a standard acoustic neck width.. Even if it means a steeper learning curve. on the contrary...
Old 09-26-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_s View Post
I really don't mind getting used to a standard acoustic neck width.. Even if it means a steeper learning curve. on the contrary...
Seagull necks are a bit wide even by acoustic standards, so make sure it's not an issue. They make fine guitars and score high in the bang for buck category.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:21 AM

I have found the Seagull models to be inconsistent in playability and quality from guitar to guitar.

Also look at Takamine and Ovation models.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:28 AM

If you can find one on the used market (they're unfortunately long out of production), try a Tacoma Chief (C1C is cedar/mahogany, C2C is spruce/rosewood). They may have a 1/75" nut but they also have 15 frets clear to the body and have a very thin, very familiar neck profile for electric players. I sold both of my Chiefs to electric players that were looking for an acoustic...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Hey guys,

New to this forum... I've been playing electric guitars for about 10 years, mostly Rock, Metal, Blues and some softer Jazz.

Thanks!

Miki
Well, people usually list their favorite styles first. I am proudly a rock/metal guy who just happens to be absolutely enamored by acoustic guitars. Since you play rock/metal electric often, which means with distortion, you are used to hearing a very full sound full of harmonics created by the overdrive/distortion. Therefore, I suggest starting with a rosewood dreadnought. Although rosewood backed guitars are known for being bass heavy, they also have "sparkle." Mahogany backed guitars tend to be a bit more midrangish. All of this is just "general terms" as every guitar is different and different builders make their own unique sound. However, it is a very rough guideline. I suggest "dreadnoughts" as they are big guitars with lots of power available to play with a pick about as hard as you want to.

Bryant
1991 Takamine EF350MC
Fender T-Bucket 400CE
$19 Silvertone Bobby Labonte SNBLA
Old 09-26-2013, 12:09 PM

I would suggest a standard dreadnought type guitar with a 42mm nut. Dreadnoughts are good all-rounders and there are lots and lots of excellent quality instruments around these days in the $500 - $750 range.

Look out for brands: Yamaha, Cort, Crafter, Tanglewood, Recording King, LAG. Great guitars at great prices.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Also, the all-wood Martins begin in the 800 or so range; less used. I really like my OMCPA4, a bit more than that. The HPL Back/Side Martins can be had in the 500 range and many here have spoken highly of them

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."
Old 09-26-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I don't want to buy something cheap on the expense of it sounding and playing well... I really like great guitar tone and playability. On the other hand, I'm not looking to buy a 2000$ guitar (like an high end Taylor or Martin).
Just FYI, $2K is nowhere near "high end."

You've gotten some good advice... the Seagulls are great bang for the buck but do have a very different neck than you're accustomed to. You might want to look at the 100 or 200 series Taylors. They feel as close to an electric as you're likely to find in an acoustic.
that's me on guitar
Old 09-26-2013, 12:36 PM

As someone who played electric for almost 30 years and has been strictly acoustic for almost 15 years now, I wouldn't buy anything..............

for a while. Simply put, you don't know what you don't know, and there is a lot to learn. Acoustic guitar is a totally different world; different sizes, different nut widths, different neck profiles, different woods and different brands.

I would bet the acoustic guitars sold most frequently are the first purchases of experienced electric players, myself included many years ago. You see something you think you like, buy it, and a week later find something you never heard of that you like better, happens all the time.

What I'm suggesting is a lot of auditions and taking your time. Try different brands, different models, different sizes and woods and get a little familiarity before your plunge. And yes $2K in no where near high end, more like the starter price for standard models of better brands, something else you need to learn about.

Acoustic guitar is much more personal, it's just you and the guitar, you don't have amps and racks of effects, just the guitar and your fingers. Get to know what's out there, been there, take your time................

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

Last edited by rmyAddison; 09-26-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Guest 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
As someone who played electric for almost 30 years and has been strictly acoustic for almost 15 years now, I wouldn't buy anything..............

for a while. Simply put, you don't know what you don't know, and there is a lot to learn. Acoustic guitar is a totally different world; different sizes, different nut widths, different neck profiles, different woods and different brands.

I would bet the acoustic guitars sold most frequently are the first purchases of experienced electric players, myself included many years ago. You see something you think you like, buy it, and a week later find something you never heard of that you like better, happens all the time.

What I'm suggesting is a lot of auditions and taking your time. Try different brands, different models, different sizes and woods and get a little familiarity before your plunge. And yes $2K in no where near high end, more like the starter price for standard models of better brands, something else you need to learn about.

Acoustic guitar is much more personal, it's just you and the guitar, you don't have amps and racks of effects, just the guitar and your fingers. Get to know what's out there, been there, take your time................
Great advice here. Take it.

Not an evasion here but an inclusion (of reality).
Old 09-26-2013, 01:09 PM

Mikey,

Rich has given you excellent advice. Acoustics are a different animal. Play as many different brands and models as possible. There are so many different wood choices, nut widths, neck profiles and electronics as to baffle the mind.

First and foremost it should have a sound and playability that beckons you and makes you WANT to play it. To me, tone and playability are king - electronics can always be installed later if you choose as well.

Seagulls are quite nice but I'm sorry to say that I have been underwhelmed by the SWS Maritime stuff. I have actually like the sound of their Entourage series better (and way, way cheaper too.)

Sometime you pick up a no name guitar or lower end guitar and it takes you by surprise. Don't jump on the first one that sounds okay - the more different sizes and makes you play the more refined your taste will become.

FYI - I also consider a 2K guitar "high end" but many of the AGF members have guitars that cost several times that so they have a different perspective. Buy as good a sound as YOU can afford. Good luck on your search. Roy

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-26-2013, 02:43 PM

Those are some really great and detailed posts everyone, I appreciate your sincere thoughts and opinions!

There was no intention, by any means, to just go on and buy the first thing I see (and hear). I was more looking for a direction.

Unfortunately, I don't live in the states, so the number of models I can actually give a try is limited. I will however take my time, try as many models as I can until something really stands out.

I would still appreciate posts of some more models which you consider a good fit for my needs.

Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
new guitar, seagull