The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-08-2013, 08:44 PM

Default I just can't get this arpeggio

I am having such a hard time playing an arpeggio like what one would play if you were playing Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley. I don't know what you call that type of arpeggio, but I just can't get it to save my life. Granted, I am a noob at fingerstyle, but when I watch myself play one of the Travis style patterns I have learned, that seems more complex than the arpeggio I am trying to learn.

Any ideas on why that is stumping me so bad? It just seems like it should be so easy.

Kate Wolf

Epiphone Hummingbird Studio
Martin 000-10e
Old 06-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

I have not listened to this particular piece, but in general first make sure you are in the right tuning. Also make sure to are listening to what one guitar is playing, not a combination of two. Then just pick off one note at a time. Pretty soon the general pattern becomes apparent.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-08-2013, 10:15 PM

If I'm recalling that song correctly, that pattern is 4-3-2-1-2-3 etc (if it were a D chord), ascending and descending arpeggio. That one trips me up too. I've seen some people play it ascending with thumb, descending with finger. I prefer to hit the two bass notes with my thumb, and the top two with my index and middle fingers. P-p-i-m-i-p, if that helps.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 06-08-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
If I'm recalling that song correctly, that pattern is 4-3-2-1-2-3 etc (if it were a D chord), ascending and descending arpeggio. That one trips me up too. I've seen some people play it ascending with thumb, descending with finger. I prefer to hit the two bass notes with my thumb, and the top two with my index and middle fingers. P-p-i-m-i-p, if that helps.
Yeah, that's it exactly. I will try your tip and see how that works for me. Thanks.

Kate Wolf

Epiphone Hummingbird Studio
Martin 000-10e
Old 06-08-2013, 11:57 PM

Better is to use p-i-m-a-m-i.

Also, fwiw, Jeff Buckley is playing a G chord capo'd at the 5th fret, not a D. He plays 6-5-3-(2&1 together)-3-6 with the last 6 being 6th string 2nd fret to lead it to Em which he plays as 022033 and picks the same right hand pattern. Play that p-p-i-m-i-p

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write