The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-30-2013, 09:10 AM

Very helpful video ,thumb position at 3:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3BfKQ0pelQ
Old 06-01-2013, 11:21 PM

I believe there are benefits..
fot instance it gets easy to change between chords like G to F
or C to F and of course Em to F.

secondly
It also puts very little stress on the fingers as compared to playing F with barring
Old 06-01-2013, 11:46 PM

The thumb is a lever you can pull to control the reach of the other fingers. You can also fret notes and mute low strings with the thumb. However, when you need more reach, it's time to lower the thumb and place it behind the neck. The lower you place the thumb, the more reach you get.

Classical guitarists have little need for muting the low E with the thumb like people who strum and play plugged in. Classical guitarists often need extended reach and they always play with their thumb behind the neck. For the rest of us, we can do what we want. I change hand positions frequently when I play -- everything from fretting notes with the thumb to keeping it completely behind the neck for certain classical pieces the come off better with it that way.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 06-02-2013, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
try it both ways and see which fits you best.
Hi muscmp...

Or learn and use both. I just don't see it as an either/or thing. My thumb rides behind the neck till I need it to wrap a note on the 6th string, then it finds it's way back behind.

It's just one of a variety of fingering techniques.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-02-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
The thumb is a lever you can pull to control the reach of the other fingers. You can also fret notes and mute low strings with the thumb. However, when you need more reach, it's time to lower the thumb and place it behind the neck. The lower you place the thumb, the more reach you get.

Classical guitarists have little need for muting the low E with the thumb like people who strum and play plugged in. Classical guitarists often need extended reach and they always play with their thumb behind the neck. For the rest of us, we can do what we want. I change hand positions frequently when I play -- everything from fretting notes with the thumb to keeping it completely behind the neck for certain classical pieces the come off better with it that way.
Very well explained. I was also reminded when I was taught the classical way when I was a kid that the thumb placement was as light as you could have it while still applying just enough pressure with the fingers. There was no grip involved with the left hand. Indeed the thumb was just to provide stability so your fingers could stretch and fizz about on top like spider legs dancing on a hot plate (or summit like that - it was a long time ago... )

https://dave-keir.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write