The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-15-2011, 12:16 AM

Default Any other Charango players here?

Here's yours truly in Argentina with my newly acquired Charango. They're surprisingly loud, have 5 pairs of strings (their nylon on my instrument, but I've seen them strung with steel). Pairs 1, 2, 4, & 5 are unison, and pair 3 is octave.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:10 PM

Maybe you saw my earlier thread... Can't yet say that I "play" one, but I do own one and am looking forward to getting basically familiar with it. They sure have a sweet sound. Mine look a lot like yours (very non-armadillo-ish!)...

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 12-15-2011, 07:09 PM

I have a charango. I learned a few chords and made up a little ditty on it when I first got it back in 1971 but never really played it much. I haven't had it out in many years. I was just thinking about it a couple of days ago. I should get it out to see what I remember about playing it.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:06 PM

I gave mine away, but will probably get another which isn't made out of an armadillo. The smell was pretty bad and it was downright creepy.

Just another insturment to break up the routine.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:47 AM

Default charango

I have one but never play it, can't figure out what to play on it. I don't do South American music, but play traditional US stuff instead.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I have one but never play it, can't figure out what to play on it. I don't do South American music, but play traditional US stuff instead.
One of the first songs I tried playing once I had a handful of chords under my belt was, House of the Rising Sun.

Who says a charango is only for Andean music? Not everyone uses a sitar for Hindustani music.

I think bluegrass on a charango would be interesting.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:06 PM

Cool

Was given one (made from a too-slow armodillo! )...kinda interesting, w/ a sweet sound.

Been working on some songs from some Inca group my wife loves, but once I brought it to a gig and pulled it out for a very non-Incanish rendition of "The Thrill Is Gone"...thought my bassist's eyes would pop out of his head when he saw the back/sides (shell).
Old 01-30-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAllanHall View Post
Was given one (made from a too-slow armodillo! )...kinda interesting, w/ a sweet sound.

Been working on some songs from some Inca group my wife loves, but once I brought it to a gig and pulled it out for a very non-Incanish rendition of "The Thrill Is Gone"...thought my bassist's eyes would pop out of his head when he saw the back/sides (shell).
Wow, The Thrill is Gone on charango! I would love to see a tab version if you could. I play the charango right now but am looking to buy a guitar to learn the blues. I really only know Andean tunes on the charango.

The charango is a great instrument with a very rich culture behind it. I played it at a beach in CA a while back and a lot of people where asking about it. I've only been playing it for about six months but I have tabs that my teacher gave me that I could post if some like. I also have a bunch of chords for songs, but mostly they are Andean tunes. He also told me this saying: "A charanguista spends half of his life tuning his charango, and the other half he's playing with an untuned instrument." Made me laugh, though somewhat true.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 PM

Here is Mozart on the charango

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dATlB...eature=related

Here is Savia Andina, one of Bolivia's most famous groups, showcasing some American music with and Andean twist. They don't play the charango in this video, but they play a ronroco. The ronroco is a relatively new instrument, about 20 years since its creation, that is a cross between a charango and guitar. It is one octave lower than a charango but it still has 10 strings with the middle pair being an octave apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcUvtQ-sz64

Enjoy!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:12 PM

Default just ordered one

I just ordered one, so I guess it will come in a couple of weeks. I thought I would take it to my slack key guitar class in open tuning. GCEGE and try and figure out how it fits with Hawaiian sound. They sound kind of nice. I guess I had a weak moment, but I did print down chord charts and the like, so it will just be a matter of trying to figure it out. Hallelujah!
Parkwood PW-340 FM-E spruce/maple
Guild GAD 30 PCE...spruce/padauk
Timberline T-70A/C
Tacoma DR-20
Tacoma DM-9
Guild GAD25
Old 06-01-2012, 10:20 PM

A good alternative is a tiple steel 10-string, which has four string sets instead of the charango's five, and the body is flat-backed for secure cradling.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

I love the sound of it - Bruce Cockburn uses one quite a bit. Funny story - went to a Bruce Cockburn concert and some know-it-all sitting behind us explained with great authority to the friend seated beside him that Bruce was playing a "mando-tar".

Boy, was it hard to keep my mouth shut.

Another fun instrument is the four-stringed Cavaquino.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 03-21-2013, 04:08 PM

Six months ago I didn't know charangos existed. Then on a trip to South America I found one I liked (wood, not armadillo) in a local shop. I learned a few chords, listened to some charango music, and played around with stupid stuff like doing a blues shuffle on it, but nothing seriously.

This morning, in Washington DC at the Vermont Avenue exit of the McPherson Square metro station (the one closest to the White House) there was a busker playing a charango! Fingerpicking a clever melody, too. Wha........?

I should have asked if he gives lessons!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:19 PM

Check out Kate Hathaway and her brother who record as "The Hathaways":

http://youtu.be/Nk5TN4YEeek

The Hathaways have several youtube videos, check out their rock stuff that is posted as Parasol Records live studio videos:

http://youtu.be/97-_L6gYcCM

Incidentally, the Armadillo Charangos faded from the popular tourist trap instruments once it became known that Armadillos are common carriers (and can transmit) leporosy to humans.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Check out Kate Hathaway and her brother who record as "The Hathaways":

http://youtu.be/Nk5TN4YEeek

The Hathaways have several youtube videos, check out their rock stuff that is posted as Parasol Records live studio videos:

http://youtu.be/97-_L6gYcCM

Incidentally, the Armadillo Charangos faded from the popular tourist trap instruments once it became known that Armadillos are common carriers (and can transmit) leporosy to humans.
95% of people hae natural immunity to leprosy. There is some slight evidence of possible transmission between live armadillos and humans, but has never be a recorded case of anyone contracting leprosy from a dried and cured armadillo shell, which is what is used for charangos.

Armadillo Charangos are still quite popular, and easily obtainable both in stores and over the 'net.

Worrying about catching leprosy from a charango is like worrying about catching AIDS from a toilet seat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments