The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-01-2013, 02:45 PM

So where do you guys learn Weissenborn? I'd love to find some DVDs or books but I'm not sure where to start. I'm into the roots/blusier side of playing. Don't care much for Hawaiian, no disrespect
Old 12-09-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixy View Post
So where do you guys learn Weissenborn? I'd love to find some DVDs or books but I'm not sure where to start. I'm into the roots/blusier side of playing. Don't care much for Hawaiian, no disrespect
Just start and figure it out. After you’ve got the basics, find a local slide player. I’m the same as you - not a fan of Hawaiian style. I play a old Hilo which is birch and spruce - a far cry from a real Koa Weiss. But I’ve been lucky enough to play it next to a truly wonderful Weissenborn, the very guitar the Bear Creek models are based off, and it holds up well. It’s much more raucous and less sweet than the real thing, but equally intoxicating to play.

Met Tony Francis a couple of times, super, super nice guy and knows EVERYTHING about Weissenborn. If you are look to get a great new Weiss, Tony’s are the most meticulously researched and built copies of the old Weissenborns that you will ever find.

A Tony Francis played by the extraordinary Thomas Oliver:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-f9bpMpddA
Old 12-11-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixy View Post
Really depends on your preferred style of music. I lean toward the blues and very early hawaiian. Both in lap and standard slide playing I lean on Open G. To that end I always point beginners to Bob Brozman's Lap Hawaiian and Lap Blues DVDs. Simply because Open G and D are so easy to tune to, and are so versatile in standard guitar (slide and fretted) and Lap. Once you get proficient at Open G, it makes things like C6 so much easier to pick up. I pretty much stick to G, a little D, and a very little C6.

And that's the issue with Lap. Almost every "big name" hawaiian player has "invented" their own tunings, often for one song. It's a little more controlled in the country world. But you gotta start somewhere, I recommend G.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments