The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2005, 04:16 AM

Default I think I'm in love! (Re: D'addario EXP)

Well, I've been an Elixir diehard for most of my (relatively short) guitar experience. The only question before was Poly or Nano, and I finally settled on Polyweb Lights and thought that would be the only string I would ever put on my 514ce... anyway, I've been reading about the phosphor bronze and their tone quality and I was intrigued, except for the parts about string breakage, considering I have enough problem with my polys breaking.. anyway, I went to L&M Music today in Chattanooga and was looking at possibly trying the PBs.. anyway, they didn't have them quite yet, but the guy hands me a pack of D'addario 80/20 EXP Custom Lights. Not Phosphor Bronze, and a slightly different gauge, but I thought it was worth a try.

Anyway, I had just restrung last week so I was a little wary about restringing just to test strings, but then I thought since I only had one spare pack of Polys, and I'm flying back up home to New York State where I always restock, I might as well figure out what I'm going to restock with. So I string these puppies up. At first I thought they were a little bit more sticky than the polys, and they are, but as I played with them for awhile I realized the tone and playability are awesome. It's definitely alot brighter and the bass punches out alot more too. Hammer-ons and Pull-offs are noticeably cleaner, which is great. I sprayed my board down with some of that Finger-ease stuff, which everybody should own, and it was even sweeter. I don't know about string breakage now, but from what I heard the d'addarios last longer than lixers.. to be decided I guess. Anybody know? Anyway, I think this might be a keeper, especially since the sets are $3-5 less than the lixers!

ok, time to end my product plug. Later.
Jason Neufeld (Phil. 3:12)

PM me if you want web design/programming work done!

String Things:

2002 Taylor 514CE (my girl...)
2006 Fender American Stratocaster 60th Anniversary
2005 Taylor T5-C
2002 Baby Taylor
2006 Ovation Celebrity Mandolin (or is it '05?)
19?? Peavey T-40 Bass (probably early 80s)
Old 10-18-2005, 07:47 AM

I hate to admit after using Elixirs for 4 years, I may be switching to EXP. I put a set of EXPs on my Taylor and didn't like the feel of the strings. Less slick than the Elixirs and more squeaky string noise. But they do break in quickly, and after a short while they smoothed out. I just put a set of the new PB Elixirs, and to be honest I was disappointed. The month old EXPs were much clearer and punchier as lopar stated. The EXPs were 80/20s, so it isn't a true comparison. The next step is to compare the regular nanos to the EXP 80/20s.
McConnell MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor
Old 10-18-2005, 08:28 AM
just peeking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopar

I don't know about string breakage now, but from what I heard the d'addarios last longer than lixers.. to be decided I guess. Anybody know? Anyway, I think this might be a keeper, especially since the sets are $3-5 less than the lixers!

ok, time to end my product plug. Later.
There was a good discussion about EXPs Vs. Elixir nanos previously:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ad.php?t=68354

"The Only Good Is Knowledge And The Only Evil Is Ignorance" -Socrates

2004 Taylor 514ce
Seagull S6+CW Folk

Old 10-18-2005, 09:00 AM

There was also a thread which had a link to d'Addario's site. They are having their 'EXP Challenge' right now. The upshot is a free set of strings. Okay okay.. or your money back if you are not satisfied. I sent off for the free strings.

Go to http://www.daddario.com/ and click on the window that says Challenge. Then print off the sheet, dig your receipt and box out of the wastebasket and send off for your free set. Voila!

And oh yeah: I like them, too.

----------
'09 Les Paul Traditional
'93 "Lucky" Taylor 910 (a.k.a. pawn shop rescue)
'62/'09 Fender AVRI Precision
Old 10-18-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Exp

I have never really liked the Elixirs, but have been a fan of the EXP for a couple of years. They have great tone, are durable and hang in there quite well. In my book, no better.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:00 AM

Unhappy Patience is a virtue

Unfortunately, one of my strong suits is NOT patience. I put on the EXP's and IMMEDIATELY didn't like them -- as already noted, sticky, squeaky, just nothing like I'm used to. I sent for my refund the next day (and it arrived just yesterday, thank you very much, less than 2 weeks after I mailed my request. . .)

Well, since they were new strings, I wasn't going to just throw them away, so I've left them on for two weeks now, playing a couple times a week at church. . . and you guys are right, they 'break in' and are great now. I feel like it isn't enough to just go buy another set -- I feel like I should apologize to the company for rushing to judgment. I hope I didn't hurt their feelings!
2005 Airedale "Wrigley"

2007 Son "Nolan"

"There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept." -- Ansel Adams
Old 10-18-2005, 11:03 AM

I love the EXPs too. You might be interested in trying their Phosphor bronze version too, since you were looking for PBs to begin with.

Taylor 614ce (walnut/englemann) "Kayla"
Gretsch Pro Jet (with Bigsby!)
Old 10-18-2005, 11:05 AM

I never judge strings when I first put them on. For me, the real test is how they sound 3-4 weeks out. If they sound good then, they're good strings. ..

Guitars

Martin Custom 000
Kopp Roy Smeck

Mandolins
'03 Gibson A5L
Old 10-18-2005, 12:28 PM

I'll stick with my elixir POLYWEB lights.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:13 PM

You know i have tried both the EXPs and the Elixir strings, and out of the package, i prefer the EXPs, but after about 3-4 weeks, the EXPs just start sounding dead to me. I have never kept a set on for more than 6 weeks, because i just didn't feel like there was any tone there anymore. I do enjoy the PB that Elixir makes, and also like the polys and nanos. I tend to change my strings about every 1-3 months depending on how much i play, which is not very much. My hands are pretty acidic, so i guess this might be a reason why they sound dead to me after a while. Just preference i guess though. If they would last as long as the Elixirs, i would prefer the EXP to the Elixir any day, but being a student, i go with what keeps money in my pocket longer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion