The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-28-2016, 05:52 PM

Default Ground Hum?

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

A couple nights ago at my gig, management turned on a string of small bulb lights above me and immediately a pretty loud (ground?) hum started and remained for the rest of the gig. The ground lift switch on my Fishman Platinum Pro had no effect but if I engaged my Polytune tuner (mutes my guitar signal) the hummimg stopped. Also, touching my guitar strings seemed to make it louder and taking my hands off it made it significantly quieter. Anyone know what could cause this and how to remedy? Thanks!
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 05-28-2016, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

A couple nights ago at my gig, management turned on a string of small bulb lights above me and immediately a pretty loud (ground?) hum started and remained for the rest of the gig. The ground lift switch on my Fishman Platinum Pro had no effect but if I engaged my Polytune tuner (mutes my guitar signal) the hummimg stopped. Also, touching my guitar strings seemed to make it louder and taking my hands off it made it significantly quieter. Anyone know what could cause this and how to remedy? Thanks!
The lights may have been on a rheostat to turn them up and down, or they may not have been grounded properly and are in-line with the guitar. If so, then the only solution is unplug them or turn the rheostat all the way up (if they were on a rheostat).

If it's just a ground issue, I carry a 3-to-2 prong adapter which kills a lot of hum in situations like you described. Someone came on here last time I posted this and sang a song of the dangers of lifting the ground, and I'm happy to report I'm still with you and all my equipment is still fine.

I've actually been using this 'Trick' for decades without issues. It's a $ 0.98 solution to the issue.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-28-2016, 08:35 PM

Thanks Larry!

So I would plug my 3-prong power strip into this adapter then into the 3-prong outlet?
Old 05-30-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Someone came on here last time I posted this and sang a song of the dangers of lifting the ground, and I'm happy to report I'm still with you and all my equipment is still fine.
For the record, that was me. And, the danger is a reality if you lift CHASSIS ground (which is what you're doing with these). Lifting SIGNAL ground as in a DI box is perfectly fine.

At least do one thing...with some of these plugs, there are no large/small prong differentiation. So plug it in the same direction as if you weren't defeating the earth ground. At least you'll preserve the AC plug's HOT & NEUTRAL connection correctly.

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 06-01-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
At least do one thing...with some of these plugs, there are no large/small prong differentiation. So plug it in the same direction as if you weren't defeating the earth ground. At least you'll preserve the AC plug's HOT & NEUTRAL connection correctly.
Thanks for your response. Do you mean don't plug it in upside down?
Old 06-01-2016, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

The "3>2" adapter has been one of my fixes for many electronic issues regarding excessive hum or 60 cycle interference... for something like 45 years or so... without issue to either myself or my gear.

Easy fix is to plug YOUR AC into a different circuit, one that is not handling that "string of lights" or anything on a rheostat or anything with neon bulbs. Use a long extension cord if you have to, but avoid those circuits...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-01-2016, 11:17 PM

Yep...exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
Thanks for your response. Do you mean don't plug it in upside down?

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 06-02-2016, 01:48 PM

Thanks for your replies!

Jseth: Can't use another outlet.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 09-22-2016, 01:31 PM

Just wanted to follow up with my thread so others may benefit. It was actually a buzzing sound as opposed to a hum. Larry, the adapter worked perfectly at that particular hotel gig and eliminated all of the buzzing! I'm so happy I'm able to use that guitar again there! Been gigging for years but never knew about that! Learned a lot from everyone's post---big thanks!

Also, I think there was a problem with the pickup as I also had a buzzing at home with that guitar. I called Fishman, (immediately was transferred to a tech---awesome service!) and they said that sometimes the foil might get stripped off of the undersaddle element which could also be a cause for the buzzing (at which point I would need to buy a new element.) So I took it out, inspected it (looked fine) and put it back. Well this reseating must've done the trick because this eliminated the buzzing at home.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:53 PM

Sorry, but the 3>2 ground disconnect is dangerous and worst case scenario potentially lethal.

There's a very good reason why it's called a "safety ground". Disconnect it at your peril.

One of, if not THE most important things I've learned doing PA and broadcast sound is how to use a multi-meter to ascertain correct wiring, grounding and voltage. In retrospect it seems absolutely stupid not to have had the ability to check for safety, both for equipment and most importantly, the lives of any users.

You wouldn't believe the stuff that passes for use.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.

Last edited by Wyllys; 09-22-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

If it's just a ground issue, I carry a 3-to-2 prong adapter which kills a lot of hum in situations like you described. Someone came on here last time I posted this and sang a song of the dangers of lifting the ground, and I'm happy to report I'm still with you and all my equipment is still fine.
I've been using this technique for many decades (and so have all my gigging friends) and am also still here.

I do a lot of electrical work and am a bit confused about the 'dangers'. I am in contact with the strings of my guitar but they are not physically connected to any other conductors ... the nearest would be a pickup element and mic. I think the thin wiring in both would evaporate if mains went through them. The next would be the preamp ... and then the amp or pedals. Surely they have safety fuses that would blow if there were any short circuit.

Has anyone heard of any musicians dying from electric shock from their instruments whilst gigging? I dunno, but if it were such a hugely risky thing, I might have heard a few more stories. I'm not saying there is NO danger ... I'm just wondering if it is not a little overplayed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification