The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-25-2016, 07:48 PM

Default Outdoor pa speaker placement for close standing crowd question.

Howdy,
I have a festival I'm playing in a few weeks. Later today I'm going to do a site inspection.

The question I have though is advice on speaker placement. The street position I'm playing will have lots of people walking past and hopefully standing.

I possibly may bring a portable small standing stage that will raise me up about the height of a milk crate. (Not sure about this yet. But may need to condider as the speaker would be closer to my height plane)

My current thought is to mount on the stand and have positioned with woofer about 6.5' up. Off to my left (the sidewalk is sloped and this will be the high side)

Should I get a tilt adapter? If so should I place even higher? If I stand on a portable stage will I have issues with the speaker placement. For this kind of situation should I be considering something else?

Also since this could be close proximity crowd and I'll use my DBR 10 would you advise placing it in monitor position of just run it as FOH? It's also outdoors for me to consider.

Final thought. If there is a store front recess they want me to position in are there tips and tricks to dealing with the sound and potential issues caused by being in there.

Thanks for all advise I just want to be totally prepared so I can get as high quality sound as I am able.

My signal chain plan is;
guitar/lyric - Play acoustic DI pedal
Parallel Vox - Play acoustic DI pedal
Combine signal to Behringer small desk so I can quick 3 band EQ and add compression if I need. (The play acoustic had feedback suppression too)
Then my stomp box to my second channel on Behringer that has 3 band EQ. As it needs EQ and I only have two channels with EQ.
I may get a beat buddy that would just go on a line channel.
Then desk to DBR 10.

Cheers
Old 05-25-2016, 08:32 PM

Well, my thoughts on this ....

As far as height.. yep I'd go above head height so 6'5" sounds okay a little more would not hurt. Does the DBR10 have a tilt pole mount? If so angle down.

Use the FOH setting not monitor. Watch the levels and peoples reactions.. too loud will turn them off/away.

If you need to set up in an alcove try not to get close to the walls or things might get echoeeeeyyy. Disconcerting all round. Maybe to the side some and angled to get the cleanest sound. Any sound bounce wants to be away from you.

One other thing to consider, the feet of your stand, maybe some white or fluro tape just so people don't stumble on them, those legs do stick out some.

Have fun

Kris
Old 05-25-2016, 09:00 PM

Default Outdoor pa speaker placement for close standing crowd question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisls View Post
Well, my thoughts on this ....

As far as height.. yep I'd go above head height so 6'5" sounds okay a little more would not hurt. Does the DBR10 have a tilt pole mount? If so angle down.

Use the FOH setting not monitor. Watch the levels and peoples reactions.. too loud will turn them off/away.

If you need to set up in an alcove try not to get close to the walls or things might get echoeeeeyyy. Disconcerting all round. Maybe to the side some and angled to get the cleanest sound. Any sound bounce wants to be away from you.

One other thing to consider, the feet of your stand, maybe some white or fluro tape just so people don't stumble on them, those legs do stick out some.

Have fun

Kris

Great idea on marking the stands. One of the reasons I was thinking a little stage is it may help people not walk into my gear plus be easier to see and hopefully keep people from just walking when they can't see from people In front of them.

The speakers do not tilt I'd have to buy an adapter. I was looking at the gravity adapter as seems the only cheapest one available for me to pick up easily here in oz. 15 degree tilt and it's not offset. Should be okay as I use a Hercules stand and the DBR is fairly light. Not sure if it's worth getting though.

There's no alcove it's the store beside it I was thinking of.

Here's the store front. Maybe power in the great box she has not got back to me yet.

This view looking straight ahead you can see a curved awning up the street. This is another area that will be playing music. It is a stage area. Speakers usually placed at the far end pointed straight towards where I'll play.

I was thinking of I should angle the speaker so it fires with their sound not opposing it. If that makes sense.

Last edited by Mischief; 05-25-2016 at 09:12 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification