The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-24-2016, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Default JJB Prestige 330

I saw some rave reviews about this pickup so I just ordered (15mm) one for my Northwood 000v R80 - it's never had a pickup and never been drilled for an end pin so I'll have to be extra careful. The sound clips sounded great. I've used K&Ks before and they sounded super but these sound just as good for cheaper. Anyone out there had any experience with these in a Northwood or any other cedar over EIRW guitar?
Old 05-24-2016, 05:32 PM

I have heard a lot of good things about the JJB but haven't tried them. I may order some myself as your right they are sold online for a very good price.

Dave
Old 05-24-2016, 06:32 PM

I own and have installed a few. I think you'll be pleased.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:59 PM

I have them in all my guitars. You will need a preamp. Not as hot as the k&k. A sound hole plug is a good idea too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 05-24-2016, 10:16 PM

Default Jjb

I've installed the JJB PPS-200 in over a dozen instruments, most all of them my own. Two are Western Red cedar archtops (a mandolin and octave mandolin) and two are Redwood archtops (mandola and 26" 10 string mandocello). I've also installed the K&K internal twin in a couple spruce top mandolins (before I heard about JJB). The two brands have different size, shape and price. Sound and build quality are equal. Anyone who says "you don't need a preamp with type xyz piezo because the signal is so hot" is misinformed. If you won't be plugging into a high impedance input (at least 1 Mohm) you need a preamp or DI for impedance matching to get optimal sound. Lots of options out there.

As for drilling the hole for the output jack, I use a brad point drill bit and first apply low tack painters tape (blue stuff) to prevent splintering. There's a good YouTube video on setting the switchjack depth correctly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification