The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-23-2016, 10:31 AM

Default Olson question

I am fairly new to Olson acoustics, and found myself intrigued by the build, sound, and following these have! I'm a big fan of James Taylor, but honestly hadn't paid attention to his gear to notice.

Anyway, just a curiosity question: do his acoustics appreciate in value? I have noticed that the used models I see on Dream Guitars, Gbase etc all seem to have price tags higher than his current base price. Perhaps it has to do with options on those models (Brazilian RW, inlays etc). But even then it would appear they are higher than expected.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18

Last edited by TJNies; 05-23-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
I am fairly new to Olson acoustics, and found myself intrigued by the build, sound, and following these have! I'm a big fan of James Taylor, but honestly hadn't paid attention to his gear to notice.

Anyway, just a curiosity question: do his acoustics appreciate in value? I have noticed that the used models I see on Dream Guitars, Gbase etc all seem to have price tags higher than his current base price. Perhaps it has to do with options on those models (Brazilian RW, inlays etc). But even then it would appear they are higher than expected.
I don't know about appreciating in value, but they don't depreciate very much, at all. As you said, it may depend somewhat on the options built in.

Olson guitars are considered by acoustic enthusiasts to be among the best/most desired modern luthier-built guitars. From the standpoint of the instruments holding their value, you really can't go wrong with an Olson. Other custom luthier-built guitars may be nice, but may have a limited market, making selling them difficult if you get one that you tire of or that just doesn't inspire you. That's not the case with Olsons. They are very desirable, they hold their value, and if you ever want to sell yours, people will be lining up to buy it.
1986 Squire Fat Strat (Korean)
2004 Gibson Les Paul Classic
2007 Fender Standard Stratocaster (Mexican Strat)
2010 Guild F-47rc (Purchased in 2012)
2013 Home-made Stratocasters (x2)
2017 Martin GPCRSG
Old 05-23-2016, 08:11 PM

Brazilian RW costs a lot. That would significantly add to the base price.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-23-2016, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

I have noticed that used Olson guitars seem to be selling for a premium price right now. It may be because James Olson is no longer taking orders this year, though I am not sure that he is done building guitars yet.

So I suppose this could be considered appreciation, but it may just be a temporary event. It is hard to find a used Olson for sale right now at less than the $12K base price on Jim Olson's website. Certainly, Brazilian rosewood will run the price up as will fancy abalone inlays. But it seems to me that used Olson prices are pretty high right now.

By the way I own an Olson SJ, not fancy, just EIR/cedar and no inlays aside from the logo "O" on the headstock, and I paid a fair price when I bought it several years ago. Now a guitar equal to that is selling for about $4K more than what I paid. So to me, it seems the prices for used Olsons are a little on the high side, but I have certainly not been particularly scientific about my study of the situation.

By the way, I love my Olson SJ, but I don't think I would have paid the going price for a used one today. But again, this situation may be temporary.

- Glenn
Old 05-24-2016, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have noticed that used Olson guitars seem to be selling for a premium price right now. It may be because James Olson is no longer taking orders this year, though I am not sure that he is done building guitars yet.

So I suppose this could be considered appreciation, but it may just be a temporary event. It is hard to find a used Olson for sale right now at less than the $12K base price on Jim Olson's website. Certainly, Brazilian rosewood will run the price up as will fancy abalone inlays. But it seems to me that used Olson prices are pretty high right now.

By the way I own an Olson SJ, not fancy, just EIR/cedar and no inlays aside from the logo "O" on the headstock, and I paid a fair price when I bought it several years ago. Now a guitar equal to that is selling for about $4K more than what I paid. So to me, it seems the prices for used Olsons are a little on the high side, but I have certainly not been particularly scientific about my study of the situation.

By the way, I love my Olson SJ, but I don't think I would have paid the going price for a used one today. But again, this situation may be temporary.

- Glenn
I had thought earlier about having a "prized guitar" built for myself. Although my playing abilities don't warrant such a high-end build, I pondered the idea anyway. I wasn't aware Jim Olson has stopped taking orders for this year. I guess that answers that!

I am lucky enough to have a couple nice Martins, and they may be sufficient for me.

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 05-24-2016, 09:25 AM

Jim used to do 2 batches of guitars a year. Pretty sure he has cut back to one for the last few years. He is wintering in Arizona playing golf instead of dealing with the MN weather. His base prices keep increasing. I think the base was $12,500 when I bought mine. Now it is up to $15k. I think he builds a lot of guitars with brazilian and other things that add to the cost so it is pretty hard to compare. I do think that they hold their value pretty well, but you would almost have to know what someone paid for their guitar originally to know for sure as they are custom builds.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:38 AM

Wow, I evidently hasn't checked pricing lately either - last I looked it was $13.5K (maybe incorrect).

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 05-24-2016, 10:13 AM

About 4-5 years ago there were a pair of pristine SJs with basic specs that were on sale for $10K each at the Podium. Around the same period Mike Joyce had a nice minty EIR parlor that was under $10K.

Those were the last "deals" I've seen on Olson guitars.

The SJ that is currently available at Guitar Gallery is honestly priced. For years Jim would've sold many guitars with similar specs for about that price. I traditionally think of GG as a good barometer for prices and Olsons usually don't last very long at Robin's store.

Now, the parlor and jumbo at Dream Guitars are very rare examples of Jim's less popular models (which he stopped building 4-5 years ago). The requested prices take rarity into account.

I have no idea whether prices will go up or down in the future. No one can make that prediction or else we'd all buy the same thing... But prices for Olsons have been what they are for many years now and are not a passing trend.

Nowadays Jim only takes limited orders -- but during his productive years you could commission a base model for around $13K which was a very good deal IMHO compared with other guitars on the market. People may or may not care for the Olson sound and aesthetics but objectively it's about as good of an investment as a guitar can be.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
About 4-5 years ago there were a pair of pristine SJs with basic specs that were on sale for $10K each at the Podium. Around the same period Mike Joyce had a nice minty EIR parlor that was under $10K.

Those were the last "deals" I've seen on Olson guitars.

The SJ that is currently available at Guitar Gallery is honestly priced. For years Jim would've sold many guitars with similar specs for about that price. I traditionally think of GG as a good barometer for prices and Olsons usually don't last very long at Robin's store.

Now, the parlor and jumbo at Dream Guitars are very rare examples of Jim's less popular models (which he stopped building 4-5 years ago). The requested prices take rarity into account.

I have no idea whether prices will go up or down in the future. No one can make that prediction or else we'd all buy the same thing... But prices for Olsons have been what they are for many years now and are not a passing trend.

Nowadays Jim only takes limited orders -- but during his productive years you could commission a base model for around $13K which was a very good deal IMHO compared with other guitars on the market. People may or may not care for the Olson sound and aesthetics but objectively it's about as good of an investment as a guitar can be.

Thank you - I read the build threads of your Olsons (having to clean the drool off my keyboard many times), and certainly value your input on this.

As I initially mentioned, I am not familiar with the standard specs of Olsons, and thought those prices may have reflected the pricing.

I will likely just enjoy my current stable for awhile, and continue dreaming unless a used SJ presents itself!

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 05-24-2016, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I had thought that Jim Olson's guitars were base priced at $12K, but in checking out his website again HERE the base price is, in fact, $15K. So I stand corrected on that. That price increase probably explains the higher used prices that I have been seeing lately.

Tom, if you are interested in an Olson-like sound for less money but still a very good value, you might contact someone like Bill Wise at Charis guitars and ask him to build you a rosewood/cedar SJ. Tell him you have been considering an Olson SJ but that it's too costly. I have heard some Charis guitars that sound like Olsons, and some that don't. I think Bill Wise could build you one that has Olson-like character and his costs are very reasonable.

There are also used Charis guitars available, such as THIS.

- Glenn
Old 05-24-2016, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Some Thoughts

I would never NEVER advise anyone to purchase/commission a guitar from ANY LUTHIER with the investment goal as a financial instrument to appreciate in value. Buy or commision a custom guitar because you like the luthier's work.

Jim has made many, many guitars (>1,500 with the lionshare being SJs) over the last 40-years. He accomplished this by producing an excellent product, exposure and brand equity from long-term artist endorsements and innovating efficiency/precision in solo luthier production methods. As a result, he has a very strong following of owners.

My $.02

Quote:

Old 05-24-2016, 05:12 PM

I also wouldn't advise someone to buy a new guitar as an investment. Most guitars depreciate, not like a car, but a used one is still usually worth less than a new one. I lived about 5 or 6 miles from Jim so visited occasionally. I had a Ryan (Kevin is a friend of Jim's) and always was harassed because I had one of Kevin's guitars but not one of Jim's. He finally wore me down. He had several orphans in his batch (I know one was the typical EIR, Cedar SJ). He also had a Koa, German Spruce one (which is the one that I chose) and I think maybe a third one. So I didn't get much input (I got to pick the fretboard inlays and truss rod cover and that was it), but I also only had to wait a month or so. I would advise anyone to buy one of Jim's guitars if they have the means and opportunity. I am guessing that he will retire one of these days and then the only option will be used.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
I would never NEVER advise anyone to purchase/commission a guitar from ANY LUTHIER with the investment goal as a financial instrument to appreciate in value. Buy or commision a custom guitar because you like the luthier's work.

Jim has made many, many guitars (>1,500 with the lionshare being SJs) over the last 40-years. He accomplished this by producing an excellent product, exposure and brand equity from long-term artist endorsements and innovating efficiency/precision in solo luthier production methods. As a result, he has a very strong following of owners.

My $.02
I tried to make it clear that I was considering an Olson with the concept that I would only consider if it seemed right for me, in sound and quality.

I don't have unlimited funds to lose, but would certainly invest if it was a great instrument and might hold a fair resale value.

Seems some cannot fathom "value" in searching for a guitar.

Moderators, please delete this thread if it becomes contentious.

Martin 1944 00-18

Last edited by TJNies; 05-24-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Sorry, I apparently misunderstood you. You asked about appreciation and not depreciation.

Quote:
I tried to make it clear that I was considering an Olson with the concept that I would only consider if it seemed right for me, in sound and quality.

I don't have unlimited funds to lose, but would certainly invest if it was a great instrument and might hold a fair resale value.

Seems some cannot fathom "value" in searching for a guitar.

Moderators, please delete this thread if it becomes contentious.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Sorry, I apparently misunderstood you. You asked about appreciation and not depreciation.
We're good; I was concerned that this might go badly if I was misunderstood.

I have some really nice Custom Shop Martins, and frankly would be ok with the idea that they are my final guitars. Each brings a different sound I adore.

But if any guitar - Olson, Charis, Kinnard, whatever - would be my "ultimate" guitar, I'd be glad to oblige. But being in Finance, I am always interested in its resale should I turn fickle...

Martin 1944 00-18

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop