The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-15-2016, 11:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T268 View Post
My goodness! That is a sight to behold. It's seeing pieces like this that make me want to build my own(at a hobbyist level of course), but then I'm reminded that patience is not my strong suit. I suppose I should just continue to drool over others' wares. Nicely done JK.
I appreciate you comments. But you know, you could do that if you took your time, and just set it down when it got taxing
Old 04-15-2016, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
It's sonic performance is under appreciated.......
I agree! I've only played one padouk guitar, but it sounded great!

Great lookin' build!
Old 04-15-2016, 01:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
I agree! I've only played one padouk guitar, but it sounded great!

Great lookin' build!
Thank you Jim. So far anyway😅
Old 04-15-2016, 03:15 PM

John, look forward to watching the progress. Those bends look nice.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:41 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Lucky Stephen!! To be the recipient of another of John's masterpieces is an honor for whoever gets that distinct privilege. It only goes to a special few . I love the wood choices. The Padouk is gorgeous and pure white Englemann is my favorite wood of all. I'll enjoy seeing this come together!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 04-15-2016, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Smile Let me chime in...

Steve has been on a Baja road trip. Having fun!
Hope he gets around here soon...

Time for some input...

JK, why don't you show us all the rosettes you sent Steve! They are FINE INDEED
AND, I vote for mine again!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-16-2016, 06:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the kind words gents.

Paul, I've sent him so many choices that I'm afraid the waters have been muddied beyond hope. I've actually lost track of how many rosette pics I've sent.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Smile Rosettes...

Hey John, about those rosettes.

I expect you'll hear from him shortly. He is back from his road trip, but still in Mexico.

He sent me a bunch of your pictures. They are all pretty!

However, I am lobbying for the wide abalone like mine. Steve also loves the ab, and the beach.

From 1972 until 1984 I lived on the bluff right above a couple great surf spots
In Solana Beach. In N. SD county. There were three piles of abalone shell in our yard. Each of which was about the size of a Volkswagen! Native Americans had been piling them up for millennia! Oh, 2020 hindsight and all that...

Just open my case and check it out! Haha. Like you do not remember it...

Cheers

Paul

96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

More
Old 04-16-2016, 11:19 AM

Default Oooooweee

Don't pay the ransom, I escaped!
Hello, Mexico was/is great. I just got back to Rosarito after an incredible Baja run. Great scenery, food, booze and golf. I am drooling on the pictures of the back and sides of my guitar! That is truly amazing! John, I am sending an email back with one of the rosettes that currently has my attention. Maybe you can post the photo on the forum so I can get some feedback on it. I think I am down to two, the one I am sending, or the large ab rosette like the one on Paul's guitar. Ha ha, they couldn't be more different.
As always, many thanks for your artistic input!
Old 04-17-2016, 06:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Two rosettes

We may have narrowed the search for the perfect rosette for THIS guitar down to two. If you have any opinions please don't hold back.

The first is the quarter inch abalone rosette, with purfling borders. It's in a finished guitar so that might not be a fair comparison but here it is.

The second is what you might call a little more free form. It's got that live edge look and Steve was thinking it might reflect the rather free flowing nature of the padouk.

This is a mock up of course and the comparison might be influenced by the more finished nature of one picture and the rather rough nature of the other, so for a fair comparison you will have to imagine how the second would look finished, (or how the first would look mocked up)
My understanding is that Steve is looking for input to help with this decision.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:23 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
We may have narrowed the search for the perfect rosette for THIS guitar down to two. If you have any opinions please don't hold back.
I am personally drawn to Paul's very traditional look...possibly because I too, contrary to a few I've had built, am fond of that simple very gorgeous Abalone as seen many times on R Taylors that Paul and I are fond of and so well represented here.

The second could be a really cool one as well. It's like anything uniquely different, often times they grow on you. If I was going to trust anyone to make it cool it would be John. Maybe if it had a contrasting black outline to create a unique 3D effect or just to create it's own personal contrasting simple black binding. If I was forced to make a fast decision, it would be #1 for the predictability and traditional purity of it.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

Smile Tough choice!

Nice mock up! I especially like the hand drawn abalone line!!!

What if you bind the soundhole with Ebony, to match everything else? With the red and cream purfling?

I do like that it is natural and it is pretty!!!

But so is mine! Hooray.

Cheers

Paul

96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

More
Old 05-07-2016, 09:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Rim is done

I'm showing off the reverse Kerfed lining for arm rest and rib rest. This is the second guitar I've done this on. It worked well on the first, I like the looks and it is quicker than laminating a large hunk of wood for those bevels like I did in the past. I'm thinking that reverse kerfing on lining approximated laminated lining in terms of stiffness since there is a solid band on the outside (or would that be inside) of the separate blocks of wood. I did this lay up in two layers because given the thickness I needed, he kerfs would close up before the bend was tight enough in some places if the lining was one layer.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:56 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
I'm showing off the reverse Kerfed lining for arm rest and rib rest. This is the second guitar I've done this on. It worked well on the first, I like the looks and it is quicker than laminating a large hunk of wood for those bevels like I did in the past. I'm thinking that reverse kerfing on lining approximated laminated lining in terms of stiffness since there is a solid band on the outside (or would that be inside) of the separate blocks of wood. I did this lay up in two layers because given the thickness I needed, he kerfs would close up before the bend was tight enough in some places if the lining was one layer.
I'm still amazed at what pretty wood that is EVEN before the finish and the additional appointments. I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but what have you decided to do on the binding? With the gorgeous wood choices, I could see a number of ideas that could make this one pop even more...maybe a rosewood binding to pick up on the dark browns in the Padouk??

Also, I never did hear what decision was made about the rosette...Inquiring minds need to know .

Old 05-09-2016, 02:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Mike. I'm vacillating between several options. Cocobolo would be nice, ebony, or a dark rosewood, maybe even bubinga. I'm waiting on Steve to green light the rosette.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop