The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-21-2016, 12:46 AM

Thanks for the detailed response Joel! It sure is a stunning instrument you've got and I hope you continue to enjoy it for a long time to come keep us updated with more splendid videos in the future

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 02-21-2016, 12:08 PM

Congratulations JD!

Great video - fantastic sounding and looking guitar and fantastic playing! What more could we want! Glad you're enjoying it so much. Thanks for sharing!

D
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 02-21-2016, 01:03 PM

Cheers Dan! Can't wait to hear your new toy!
Old 02-21-2016, 04:26 PM

just listened to the video you posted J, very nice clear and loud sounding guitar, interesting tune as well, sounds like a vaudeville tear jerker from the early part of last century, quite unusual. We're so used to hearing 'percussive' and tapping style played on these uber modern sounding guitars,
I was reading up on the pickup’s that MG put into AMcK’s guitar, did you have a K&K installed for live work ?.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting, Joel. Your deft playing gives us a good idea of how great it already sounds.
It'll be interesting to hear it as you put more hours into it.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:02 AM

Westman - no electronics installed just yet, so what you're hearing is only the mic (and a cheap one at that!). K&K seem to get v good reviews so might consider adding one in the future.

Dcn - yeh I can't wait to hear how it matures. My previous Greenfield really warmed up the more I played it.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:39 AM

Wow, what can I say that has not already been said!!
That video was gorgeous Joel, definitely not "Rough and Ready!!"
Beautiful Guitar, Beautiful song choice, Beautifully played!!
If I say much more, I can expect a restraining order in the mail!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 02-22-2016, 07:16 AM

Thanks for posting the video. The guitar is wonderful and you playing is excellent. I hope you have many years of enjoyment with it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2016, 12:16 PM

Thanks. The guitar really is wonderful, I can't stop playing it. In fact, I've had it less than a week & already on my 2nd set of strings!

Joel
Old 02-23-2016, 02:28 PM

outstanding guitar and playing my man!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2016, 02:22 AM

Default A couple of close relatives courtesy of Michael Watts

G2 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FkcsRxCjPfk

GF https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s7wG0Ih9nFg
Old 02-24-2016, 01:06 PM

now I'm confused, I watched these two videos of good clear standard guitars then it struck me the player was playing in DADGAD which I'm interested in trying. I followed the players links and was surprised to find the guitar he had custom made is not DADGAD optimized / geometry / internal architecture for tuning he plays in 'exclusively', he plays a standard guitar
I'm starting to appreciate and prefer the sound of the DADGAD multi-scale.
I like the deep sound of this MG guitar
Old 02-24-2016, 03:10 PM

GF - ah yes, some typically tastey videos from Michael Watts. Those two guitars actually shipped together with mine. The GF was FANTASTIC, one the guest performers at the TNAG dinner liked it so much she used it for her performance! The G2 is unfortunately sold so didn't get to play it - it looks and sounds sublime though.

Westman - I assume you're referring to Michael Watts' Kostal? Incredible instrument, and sounds humongous in DADGAD! I'm sure Michael can go into detail for why he chose what he chose. Not everyone wants / needs a fan fret guitar; Mikey G happens to be a bit of an expert in this field and its a feature I felt I'd make use of (tonal benefits, altered tuning benefits etc), so I ticked the fan-fret box for mine

On a side note: restrung the G2 with Elixirs last night - sounds like a new guitar that just got newer! There shall be recordings...

Joel
Old 02-25-2016, 02:05 AM

Joel

Congratulations on your new Greenfield! What a great spec you chose, and the end result is truly exceptional… Doesn't hurt that you play so well of course It's going to be quite a ride as that guitar grows into itself - you're going to continue to be blown away every time you open the case!

All the best

Jon

PS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by westman;4 841003
now I'm confused, I watched these two videos of good clear standard guitars then it struck me the player was playing in DADGAD which I'm interested in trying. I followed the players links and was surprised to find the guitar he had custom made is not DADGAD optimized / geometry / internal architecture for tuning he plays in 'exclusively', he plays a standard guitar
Hi Westman

All players will have their own preferences, but it's interesting to note that people like Martin Simpson who play exclusively in open tunings (and Pierre Bensusan for that matter!) play guitars with conventional non-varied scale lengths… and definitely leave nothing to be desired in the tone department!

Perhaps that's down to familiarity though… there wouldn't have been many steel strung fan fretted guitars about when they started playing.

Jon
Old 02-25-2016, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBarclay View Post
Joel

Congratulations on your new Greenfield! What a great spec you chose, and the end result is truly exceptional… Doesn't hurt that you play so well of course It's going to be quite a ride as that guitar grows into itself - you're going to continue to be blown away every time you open the case!

All the best

Jon

PS:

Hi Westman

All players will have their own preferences, but it's interesting to note that people like Martin Simpson who play exclusively in open tunings (and Pierre Bensusan for that matter!) play guitars with conventional non-varied scale lengths… and definitely leave nothing to be desired in the tone department!

Perhaps that's down to familiarity though… there wouldn't have been many steel strung fan fretted guitars about when they started playing.

Jon
Martin Simpson (and Pierre) play mostly in modal tunings as opposed to open tunings. Martin happens to be a great slide player as well which doesn't go down that well with fan frets...

The Greenfield is wonderful BTW - as indeed most that I've played are...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop