The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-25-2015, 01:18 PM

Here's another view of the back and one of the sides, again, unfinished and not completely cleaned up.

W00t!

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 03-25-2015, 01:29 PM

Who is this Traugott guy? Is he any good?

Looks like a really beautiful set of Brazilian on there, Brett. I'd love to try Jeff's bigger BK model. One can only imagine the tone, responsiveness, resonance and low end that it'll produce. Not to mention the incredible note separation, near perfect intonation, thick trebles, and perfect balance in all registers. He is as good as it gets.

Keep the pics coming!

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 03-30-2015, 01:03 PM

Tres Kewl
Old 03-30-2015, 01:20 PM

going to be a beaut, as it should be for the premium paid.
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 04-11-2015, 10:15 AM

Here's the beautiful German Spruce top, freshly cut.

Jeff starts bracing the top next week. We're still on target for a July delivery, which is actually going to be me and a buddy going out to Santa Cruz for a day of photos, music, and fun!

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 05-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
Hey guys-

So many of you remember that this thread originally started years ago (insane! April of 2011!). More accurately, it started a period of general GAS which–at least for me–was more of a "winter of guitar discontent" that had me hopping all over the place. I was buying and selling left and right and my guitar playing actually took a hit.

That period ended largely with some problems with a couple of builds, and that then at least indirectly caused me to set the guitar down altogether. In the span of two years, I had bought and sold (among others) a Ryan, a Greenfield, and a Traugott. Pretty heady stuff, and I'd take back any of those guitars in a heartbeat given the chance.

Of all of them, I miss the Traugott the most. It was the most alive instrument I'd ever played, I loved the process (although I have nothing but respect and friendship for Mike Greenfield, and I've never met Kevin Ryan, so that's not a knock against them), and it truly was a lifetime instrument. But I was always looking for something "better" or chasing names or just foolish and indeterminate.

I also ended that period with two deposits (that still exist): one on a Greenfield, slotted for sometime in 2016, and a Walker deposit I made years and years ago, which appears to be due in late 2016 or so. Neither of those are new, but they've just been sort of sitting in the background. (The Walker wasn't even in my sig because it was a sort of pipe dream!) Besides, it didn't matter, I wasn't playing. I didn't care. Add to that a Kraut rebuild that would show up ... sometime? Guitars were the last thing on my mind, and the monies for all of those had either been paid in full (Kraut) or were deposits I couldn't get back if I wanted to. End of an era, I suppose.

Live and learn, right?

As many of you recall, I recently picked back up the guitar, and was going to buy Juston's Brondel, and then switched to a build. Laurent came highly recommended. But quickly after, MikeD wanted that spot, and timing worked out for me; I had decided I was going to go after one of the Kostal guitars that Jason Kostal was building for Memphis: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I also looked at getting a baritone, buying back that original Greenfield, picking up a Franklin from Mike Joyce... I kept flipping. My wife was going nuts, because to her it felt (rightly so) like I was slipping back into that old mode. For me, it was something different: I wanted to get one guitar, and I just wasn't sure about any of my options. Nothing clicked and resonated so strongly that I was ready to pull the trigger. Even the Kraut that's coming is somewhat of a mystery!

Then I sent a flyer email to Jeff Traugott, the guy who had built me that "one guitar to rule them all" R model... "Hey Jeff, long shot and all, but do you have any beater guitars? Anything just lying around that's torn up and pounded on that you could sell for (relatively) cheap?" No matter how much I'd saved, I couldn't get up into the Traugott range.

And, well, Jeff replied. We've always had a great relationship, and I'd like to say he appreciates that I'm a player who really does want to beat the crap out of an instrument for a long period of time. At least, that's what I want now... and he seemed genuinely flattered that the R he built me stuck with me. Incredibly humble guy...

Anyway, turns out he has a BK model that he'd started to build for someone, and the top had blown up on him. He had to tear the top off, and needs to rebuild that top. He'd also already drilled two endpin jacks for a dual system, and it sounds like the original purchaser had backed out (either because of the top, or finances, or who knows what). Anyway, although it will be a brand new guitar, Jeff isn't selling it at full price because his often-collector clientele doesn't want two endpin holes, or whatever else...

...but I don't care a BIT about that! Anyway, we talked for the better part of an hour, Jeff really bent over backward to make some things work, I am selling a kidney, two of my three kids, and everything else bolted down...

...and the deed is done. Jeff is going to create a new top, and continue to build this BK cutaway for me. To say I'm excited or a little surprised is an understatement. And what has me excited (and my wife) is that since I talked to Jeff, all indecision has disappeared. I'm 100% committed to this guitar, I have no second thoughts, and we're off to the races.

In fact, I had a chance just today to get an earlier slot with Kim Walker, and I'm going to pass because I'm –that– excited about this Traugott. (Don't get me wrong, I'm holding on to my original time slot with Kim. I'm just trying to represent how excited I am about this Traugott.)

So what's next? I'm not sure. The Kraut comes tomorrow, and I have no idea what's going to happen there. But as I said, that's a guitar that was bought and paid for in 2011, so I can enjoy that without worrying about it compromising anything with the Traugott. I have no other builds but the ones started years ago, and those aren't due until 2016 or beyond.

So now it's just time to start thinking on and focusing on the Traugott, and in the meantime, trying out this Kraut.

Sometimes, you just have good days...

Next post: details... and pictures. Woo hoo!

-Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
Here's the beautiful German Spruce top, freshly cut.

Jeff starts bracing the top next week. We're still on target for a July delivery, which is actually going to be me and a buddy going out to Santa Cruz for a day of photos, music, and fun!

-Brett

Haven't heard about this guitar of late...are you still expecting this guitar in July...?
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 05-04-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Haven't heard about this guitar of late...are you still expecting this guitar in July...?
Hey, Larry, thanks for asking, and your post is well-timed.

I'd emailed Jeff a few times over the last two weeks and it was becoming increasingly clear to me that he was swamped with work. (A good problem to have, yes?) He also mentioned that he felt he had several clients he wanted to get guitars to soon.

While he insisted that building my guitar wasn't a problem, I know that if the roles were reversed, I'd want Jeff working on my guitar after waiting in the queue for who knows how long; and with my recent Kostal acquisition, I find myself with a tremendous guitar to get to know and love, which has greatly reduced my drive to get the Traugott as soon as possible.

Given all that, I contacted Jeff last week and told him I wanted to delay my order a minimum of 6-8 months--to at least the end of the year. We agreed that this would allow him to focus on his imminent orders and take any pressure off this build. It also allows me to focus solely on my Kostal right now without worrying about specs (or money!) on another guitar for a while.

That's a win-win in my book, and I imagine the same for the clients that are up next in Jeff's queue. So I'll pick this up late this year...

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 05-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Humanist

Very cool...hope your visit with Jason was all that I know it would be...great, that is...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 04-06-2016, 01:32 PM

"Time and circumstance happens to us all."

Or, if you like, "The Wheel of Time turns..."

The end of 2015 was rough. The beginnings of 2016 have been intense, but better. I turn 40 this year, and while I won't be getting another BMW, I will–at my wife's insistence–be finishing something left undone.

Enough talk; I've done that too much as of late.

Oh, and Steve? I absolutely promise this thread will have videos of said instrument being played. Mark it down.

Thanks

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 04-16-2016, 09:52 AM

Things, they are a-happening.

More to come...

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 04-16-2016, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Default A Walker...

Good gracious man. You've got this happening now and a Walker to follow?!
Old 04-16-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
Good gracious man. You've got this happening now and a Walker to follow?!
Yeah, it just goes to show that fortunes turn. Late 2016 was rough and I sold my Kostal OM and a nice car. I told Jeff--who I'd commissioned this build with in early 2015--to put me on indefinite hold.

Things really picked up this year, and I gave Jeff the go-ahead a few weeks ago. I couldn't be more excited, and he is just flying on the build!

Then--embarrassment of riches, right?--Kim Walker emailed me. After being on his list nearly 8 years, it's my turn! Who knew that a smallish check I wrote in 2007 would turn into such a delight in 2016/2017?

So yes, I'll be stocking up my war chest for Kim Walker... Details on that soon. For now, I get to enjoy Jeff Traugott building me this insane BK at warp speed!

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 04-16-2016, 10:36 PM

Congrats Brett!
Old 04-18-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Strahm View Post
Congrats Brett!
Thanks Stephen.

Honestly, our conversation had a large influence. I was waffling on biting off the Traugott (his work demands a premium!), and your obvious appreciation for and incorporation of elements of his work reminded me how much I love what Jeff does. It wasn't long after that I called Jeff and re-committed.

I imagine you'll see this guitar before I do! I can't wait...

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 04-20-2016, 07:17 AM

More from the Traugott workshop as we start to close in on finish...

You may remember that Jeff is really re-purposing wood to build this guitar; he really hates to see things go to waste, and it's reflected in the very cool message on the guitar:

"Re-build. Re-birth. Re-use. Re-generate. Re-store! Dedicated to us all, the entire planet and all the life that exists! For peace and understanding."

Very cool.

-B

[SoundCloud | YouTube]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop