The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-06-2016, 07:38 AM

It actually looks (seems) more like the Fender Expo System Portable Powered system than the Bose. The Fender is already one hundred dollars less. It would be nice for someone to do a side-by-side video test of the 4 or 5 similar products available - but that's not likely. For me $200 isn't worth going "for the money" if it doesn't have the controls that the Bose offers. The Bose is lighter, more compact and ...well ... it's a Bose.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:02 AM

I'm curious to see how the system performs, but my suspicion is that for many singer songwriters, the effects offered with competing units make them more compelling. With the new Fishman SA220 replacement coming out this summer, and perhaps a Bose design refinement, the new Mackie reach product, Line 6 offerings, Yamaha, etc. it is a GREAT time to need (affordable) portable PA systems. I wish this stuff existed when I was younger and in bands and acoustic groups!
Old 04-06-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
It actually looks (seems) more like the Fender Expo System Portable Powered system than the Bose. The Fender is already one hundred dollars less. It would be nice for someone to do a side-by-side video test of the 4 or 5 similar products available - but that's not likely. For me $200 isn't worth going "for the money" if it doesn't have the controls that the Bose offers. The Bose is lighter, more compact and ...well ... it's a Bose.
The IP1000 is 100$ less than the Expo. Both are identical in dimension and weight. I'm guessing someone created the gist of the overall design, then each company (Fender Expo, Turbosound IP, Maui LD) put their own finishing touches to it.

Expo has (2) 6.5" subs, (8) 3" mids, where the IP has (2) 8" subs, (8) 2" mids.
The IP has independent vol for each channel by using the jog dial or IOS app. The IP also has Bluetooth audio and IOS app control. Both have the same wired inputs/outputs with exception of the Expo having an RCA input that the IP does not. IP100 has a basic 3 band EQ while the Expo does not.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:38 AM

Fender Expo is Musician's Friend Stupid Deal of the Day (5/28/2016) for $399. No affiliation - just thought it might be of interest here.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg View Post
Fender Expo is Musician's Friend Stupid Deal of the Day (5/28/2016) for $399. No affiliation - just thought it might be of interest here.
Now that is Crazy. I ordered mine. I've been waiting for someone to do a comparison or video but at that price it's a no-brainer for me. Almost 2 for 1. Thanks Ferg for the heads up. I never would have seen that sale offer.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 05-28-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:06 AM

it looks like a great deal....kinda wish i had a need....the fender expo i mean
Old 05-29-2016, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderball View Post
it looks like a great deal....kinda wish i had a need....the fender expo i mean
I don't really have a need, but at that price, I ordered one.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:49 AM
Guest4562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
Hope you will post a review,
Old 05-29-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
I was VERY tempted to pull the trigger on that deal. I could use that unit with my mixer or TC Helicon product. It could make a good backup for our folk club. But, I'm satisfied with the Line 6 gear, for now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2016, 10:52 AM

Might have to check one out but I've found a truly pleasant surprise with the L1 Model 2 B2 I'm using. The restaurant I play mainly, uses an open deck for the performers. It faces the water and it's also almost completely open BEHIND the stage area. First time I used the L1 in the warmer weather with it all open I was VERY impressed at how good the L1 sounded almost directly BEHIND it 40 ft. away on the other side of the bar. It's slightly muffled and muted but nothing like being behind point aim speakers. It's still pleasantly audible and listenable. I was playing some break music at the time, I think it was Learn To Fly by the Foo Fighters or something kinda kickin'. It's an attention getter I tell ya.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

I've noticed the very thing with my L1 Model II w/ B1... although the claimed dispersion is 180 degrees, I SWEAR that the thing will go around corners and behind the main unit, as well!!!

I've had people tell me that about my playing, and I have heard it for myself with other groups using that system.

I've heard plenty of rigs that sound good up close or in front of the unit... but I have NEVER heard anything that comes close to what the Bose system does as far as pure sound dispersion, with ZERO drop-off or hot spots...

After a good 4 decades of paying with traditional point/aim speakers for my PAs, I am beyond thrilled to have the Bose to play through...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-02-2016, 04:39 PM

I know there's a lot of Bose haters out there and all and that's cool but I get a lot of questions and see people all the time talking amongst themselves about the sound. I had one guy at an indoor stage with high, high ceilings ask me if all the sound was coming out of just my L1. He really thought the house system was also running but they use that just for bands and a sound man. Nope….I said. He just said "Wow!". Dr. Bose was no amateur, that's for sure.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:50 PM

I received the Expo system came today. Very nice upon first test and inspection is two thumbs up. Excellent sound quality and it seems to have good volume as well.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:40 PM

Great! Look forward to a full report. Could be a real bargain
Old 06-03-2016, 07:38 AM

I hope someone will do a full review soon!
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification