The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-26-2016, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Default ES2 clone?

Does somebody make an aftermarket pickup system like the Taylor Expression System 2? I just bought a GS-mini with an ES2 as a gift for somebody at our church. I plugged it in and liked teh pickup sound a lot.

But I'm not a Taylor neck fan. And I've got a couple of nice guitars I'm very happy with. But I'd like something different for the pickup than what I've got.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:54 AM

I think it would be difficult to clone the ES2 as an after-market pickup. There are companies that offer these types of pickups but they are often used for bouzoukis and mandolins. I have used them and actually thought about how they would sound on an acoustic but it's difficult to try. I should have claimed the idea though, as I was thinking about it before the ES2 came out haha.

The only thing that might work would be to get one of those extremely thin, PUTW pickups, attach it to the back of your saddle, and see if it would fit in the saddle slot. I doubt it would and I have no idea how it would sound but it would be a fun experiment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification