The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-17-2016, 06:38 AM

Default Amplification fo a Sitar

I picked up a Sitar recently and I'm having some fun with it, but it's awfully quiet. I'd like to amplify it through a micro cube for sound reinforcement. I purchased online a Supreme Contact transducer, which was advertised for use with the Sitar, and I just can't get any appreciable sound out of it unless I tap on it. So I tried miking the Sitar with compression and dynamic mics and I can't turn it up enough without getting feedback. So I think I need a notch filter. I couldn't find anything cheap that would do an outboard notch, so I have a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI on the way. Is there anything else I could try that is totally battery powered so I can play outside with some sound reinforcement?
Old 05-17-2016, 10:12 PM

can you post a picture of it?

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 05-18-2016, 06:40 AM

The problem you're going to have is that sitar bridges sit on their feet, which is in one way a benefit -- there's room to get a soundboard transducer on their underside. The problem is that the outer strings sit over and beyond the bridge feet making it impossible to get a sensor under the outer strings. This makes it difficult to get good string balance.

I think your best bet is a DPA 4066 mic run up to the bridges from the tailpiece and mounted on their lav surface mount clips:

http://www.pro-sound.com/p/dpa-dmm00...-5-pieces.html

You'll need a preamp that can provide phantom power and a decent notch filter.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
The problem you're going to have is that sitar bridges sit on their feet, which is in one way a benefit -- there's room to get a soundboard transducer on their underside. The problem is that the outer strings sit over and beyond the bridge feet making it impossible to get a sensor under the outer strings. This makes it difficult to get good string balance.

I think your best bet is a DPA 4066 mic run up to the bridges from the tailpiece and mounted on their lav surface mount clips:

http://www.pro-sound.com/p/dpa-dmm00...-5-pieces.html

You'll need a preamp that can provide phantom power and a decent notch filter.
Thanks. I haven't been able to find a battery powered phantom power supply. Is there such a thing?

I got a mini boom for my SM58 and ran it through the Fishman DI into the micro cube, and I still couldn't get much sound reinforcement. But then I tried my cube street ex and it was much louder for some reason. So I can potentially use that setup outdoors.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersbw View Post
can you post a picture of it?
It looks almost exactly like this one.

http://www.thesoundhealingstore.com/...dy_p_5357.html
Old 05-21-2016, 08:08 AM

Audix has a very inexpensive battery powered phantom unit. Can't speak to it other than Audix makes good stuff at modest prices.

Audix APS911 Phantom Power Supply

It requires the lavalier mic to be terminated with a mini-XLR connector, which isn't uncommon on lavs.

A better option would be Headway's EDM-1 which has the advantage of having three band EQ, which you would want. With a Lav, not having a notch filter is going to be a problem, particularly on an instrument that is quiet and needs more help.

Headway EDM-1
Old 05-24-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
Audix has a very inexpensive battery powered phantom unit. Can't speak to it other than Audix makes good stuff at modest prices.

Audix APS911 Phantom Power Supply

It requires the lavalier mic to be terminated with a mini-XLR connector, which isn't uncommon on lavs.

A better option would be Headway's EDM-1 which has the advantage of having three band EQ, which you would want. With a Lav, not having a notch filter is going to be a problem, particularly on an instrument that is quiet and needs more help.

Headway EDM-1
Thanks again. The Headway is a preamp, right? I would think that would help me out in obtaining a hotter signal, and then I could route it through the Fishman DI, with its 3 notch filters, and get a louder result. Or do you think that the compression mic with the phantom power will be as loud through the Fishman DI?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification