The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-12-2013, 06:54 AM

Default LR Baggs Lyric VS regular microphone

Hi!
I'd like to record my Boucher OOO.
I currently own a Focusrite USB interface and a Yamaha THR10C.

I'm spitted between installing an LR Baggs Lyric in my guitar en use the acoustic or flat setting on the Yamaha THR10C to record or get a regular microphone.

I used to have two AKG Perception 170 condenser microphones and really did not like the result. It was ages from what I would have liked quality wise.

The advantage of the LR Baggs Lyric would be versatility for playing live in the future and very consistent recorded tones and it would also be easier to record.

Any opinions or suggestions?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

There was a pretty extensive discussion a while back, with Doug Young providing a review and comparison recordings.

http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthread.php?t=280392

You can judge for yourself, but I would think in a studio environment mics are still preferable.

If you are not happy with your recorded tone perhaps its something else? Your room, mic position, and other variables all come into play.

If you can provide a sample we can offer more detailed advice.

thanks

Anton

Last edited by anton; 04-12-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

There's no definitive answer for this, it really depends on what you want and what you have to work with. I think the Lyric probably comes the closest of any "pickup" to making a decent recording. But it's mono, and won't have the same "air" that a decent pair of mics in a stereo recording is capable of making. On the other hand, if your room acoustics are terrible, a pickup might be better than dealing with mics. it also provides some isolation if you want to sing at the same time. Personally, what I recommend as a baseline for recording is something like a Zoom H2 or H4 (or equivalent in some other brand). People make *very* nice recordings with those, simply by sitting them on the table in front of them in a living room and pushing the button. That's the baseline, and anything else you do is only worth while if you can beat that. If you want a pickup for live performance, that's one thing. If your focus is on recording, I'd use mics, and I'd start with a "point and shoot" hand-held and move up from there as you learn more and want more control.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:32 PM

Default Looking for recording mics and preamp

Hi!
I have a focusrite scarlet 2i2.
I don't know anything about recording acoustic guitar.
My budget is 400, new only. No used gear.

What would you suggest?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD