The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 AM

Default Recording Acoustic on Ipad

Hello all
Hope everyone had a good Easter Weekend.

New to these forums, name is Justin
Born and raised in FL currently stationed in TX.
New to the Acoustic world, played electric back in High School for a little and stopped once I enlisted in the military.

Currently working on long distance music collaboration(TX-CAL)
I'm doing Acoustic tracks(Mostly rhythm guitar)
She's doing Vocals (Which ill also have to mix and master)
I've already came up with a way to transfer everything between the two of us using just my Ipad and her Iphone(No Computers) with Tracks recorded on Garageband as well as other DAWs if needed.

Equipment/Accessories Using:
Ovation GC24D-WRY
Elixir Nanoweb Lights (.012-.053)
O Port (By Planet Waves)
Ultex .60mm and Nylon .60mm
Apogee Jam (Cable)
Ipad 2nd Gen.
Turtle Beach X42(Headset)

Apps Using:
Audio Bus (connects Audio Apps)
Input: Apogee Jam Cable(No App)
Effects: Level. 24(Equalizer & Compression)
Output: Garageband

My main issue has to be the equalization and compression. Others say it sounds good with what I do with it but just doesn't sound exactly how I imagine it... But I have lost around 65-70% of hearing in left ear and my right ear I've lost around15-20%, so I'm not sure if that is hurting me.
I have read countless articles but 99% of them are based on using a mic
I understand that is the best way to go but I will not be getting one for at least a month.
Any tips on equalization and compression using a straight line into Ipad.
I'm currently using Level. 24 for it, but am up for any recommendations.
My goal is to try and get as clean(Pure acoustic sound)
I like having some brightness but to an extent. I don't want that twang sound or it be so bright it sounds distorted or give an electric vibe)

But any advice would be much appreciated
Whether its a new input/output/effects app
Equalization or compression help
Suggestions for the preamp on my Ovation
Anything
Again, I know mic is the way to go but I am a month or two away from that, but recommendations on mics you can use on Ipad(pretty much any USB) would be awesome too

Last edited by C0NTROLL3DCHA0S; 04-02-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:01 PM

I can't offer any advice about using an i-pad, but I wanted to welcome you the AGF anyway! There are many threads on recording a guitar here, and I will leave it to you to sort through them.

When you look at threads on mics and recording guitars, always keep in mind that most of the advice is for recording a solo guitar, that is, recordings of a guitar and only a guitar. When multi-tracking multiple guitars, instruments and/or vocals other considerations emerge. Most notably is noise in the recording environment. When using a mic in a noisy house or apartment, each track you add to the mix will introduce more noise. Therefore, your first challenge should be to treat the room to minimize or eliminate as much noise as possible.

If you are successful in eliminating the noise, then you will have a wide selection of microphones suitable for recording. However, if you cannot eliminate noise, then you will be forced to use close mic'ing techniques and I recommend choosing a mic with a super-cardioid or hyper-cardioid pick-up pattern because those patterns will pick up less sound from off-axis sources. In other words, they pick up what they are pointed at and do not pick up much from their sides or back. Also, many "great" microphones are so sensitive that they can pick up the sound of bubbles on your teeth, so although they are great mics they aren't going to produce a great recording in a noisy recording room!

If you are going to add bass, drums and/or keyboards, then plugging your guitar in directly can actually work pretty well if you can EQ the tone to minimize those harsh trebles and boomy lows that often result from direct recordings. Consider using preamps or DI boxes specifically designed for acoustic guitar pickups (Fishman makes some good ones). If you are going to go with just a guitar with no other instruments, then you will have to settle for a somewhat electric sound, in my humble opinion, as I have yet to hear a direct plug-in recording that truly sounds acoustic.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 04-03-2013, 03:02 AM

I use Auria & I love it. It has replaced my computer DAW software.

Fifty bucks. Buy all the FX and you're still <$100.

Your Apogee jam should work w/it.

http://auriaapp.com/

http://auriaapp.com/forum/index.php

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0NTROLL3DCHA0S View Post
.. But I have lost around 65-70% of hearing in left ear and my right ear I've lost around15-20%, so I'm not sure if that is hurting me.
Unfortunately the bad news is the answer is yes hearing loss is very much and issue. The one good news item is there is a way to compensate for that loss , you can at least get a (relative) idea of how you would like your acoustic to sound based on using a reference recording of an acoustic, that you do like and would like to emulate. Keep it readily available to continually check against your recording.

Quote:
Any tips on equalization and compression using a straight line into Ipad.
I'm currently using Level. 24 for it, but am up for any recommendations.
My goal is to try and get as clean(Pure acoustic sound)
I like having some brightness but to an extent. I don't want that twang sound or it be so bright it sounds distorted or give an electric vibe)
Yes, if GB will let you insert EQ and comp on each track recorded track , then don't try to EQ or Compress the signal on the way into your recording. Instead do this after you have recorded a dry signal.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-03-2013, 11:05 AM

Default Recording Acoustic on Ipad

Thank you for the responses.
As for Auria, I've been reading a lot of good reviews was just a little hesitant because of all the money I've invested on other things and it not working on an acoustic genre. Was torn between that and Cubasis.
And for the hearing loss, that's what I thought, was just hoping it wouldn't. Guess I can thank Afghanistan for that one. Actually had an audiology appointment yesterday and he said the same, and that the certain frequencies at certain decibel levels I can't pick up. But thank you for the advice with keeping an acoustic track readily accessible, ill do that from now on. I was soo focused on putting it through the eq and compression before trying to get it out of the way, that I found myself obsessing over it an not recording, so ill definitely do that after. I've found just about every loop hole to make music apps work with each other so while I'm still using GB I have a way to EQ and put the track in GB after
Thanks for the Welcome and advice, all is much appreciated, can't wait to get a mic and get a better quality
Old 04-04-2013, 05:19 AM

Auria versus Cubasis? Get Auria. It doesn't do MIDI. But it's old school audio recording. I absolutely love it. Very easy to use.

I bought Cubase 5.0 four years ago. I switched to SONAR LE. It still handles my MIDI needs. But for digital audio - Auria is my future.

Youtube

---
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Last edited by louparte; 04-04-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0NTROLL3DCHA0S View Post
Thank you for the responses.
As for Auria, I've been reading a lot of good reviews was just a little hesitant because of all the money I've invested on other things and it not working on an acoustic genre. Was torn between that and Cubasis.
And for the hearing loss, that's what I thought, was just hoping it wouldn't. Guess I can thank Afghanistan for that one. Actually had an audiology appointment yesterday and he said the same, and that the certain frequencies at certain decibel levels I can't pick up. But thank you for the advice with keeping an acoustic track readily accessible, ill do that from now on. I was soo focused on putting it through the eq and compression before trying to get it out of the way, that I found myself obsessing over it an not recording, so ill definitely do that after. I've found just about every loop hole to make music apps work with each other so while I'm still using GB I have a way to EQ and put the track in GB after
Thanks for the Welcome and advice, all is much appreciated, can't wait to get a mic and get a better quality
I am assuming the audiologist told about digital hearing aids with graphic EQ capabilities ? (however the good ones are not cheap) I have typical construction noise induced loss from the 3k to 4 k frequency range , and use a pair of aids that boost only that range. Which works quite well. Makes a difference just playing and performing as well as mixing.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-04-2013, 02:35 PM

Any thoughts on Auria vs. Auria LE?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Any thoughts on Auria vs. Auria LE?
Dunno. Auria is 49.95. LE is half that. Even if you buy several plugs, you're still in under a hundred bucks. Plugs are about ten bucks each.

The worst thing about Auria is iPad architecture. If you have an interface that works w/an iPad & if you don't need MIDI, Auria is a no-brainer. A lot of info here - including interfaces. http://auriaapp.com/forum/index.php

Youtube

---

Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 PM

Lou - thanks . Their website is a great resource.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
compression, equalization, ipad, ovation, recording