The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-10-2013, 06:09 PM

Default Considering a Tascam DP-03

I was fine with my Boss BR-8 multitrack recorder even though it uses obsolete zip disks. I stocked up on them through e-bay. But now my CD burner seems to be shot. Instead of buying another old or used CD burner (Harmon Kardon $150-200 on e-bay), I'm thinking about just getting the Tascam DP-03 which has 8 tracks like I'm familiar with (and each track can be recorded individually, unlike some where they double up 1 or 2 of the tracks). It also saves to SD cards at CD quality and will burn CD's right in the unit. My studio and equipment are far from my Mac, and I just rather have a stand alone unit at this point vs software recording. Does anyone have a Tascam DP-03 (or 02)? Thoughts?

SteveH

Taylor 414CE Ltd Redwood Sinker
Martin 00-15M
Seagull Performer CW MJ Flame Maple
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Burgundy
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Blue
Oscar Schmidt Sovereign Mahogany a 1932 Model #5077
Campbell American Transitone (electric)
Ibanez SR650 Bass, natural finish ash
Yamaha SC400 natural finish ash
Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 PM

I have the DP08 model, which is the same thing without the CD burner. Its a great unit and I have no hesitation recommending it. The CD burner is a great feature, due to the fact that backing up your data is a bit of a PITA without it.

The internal mics are excellent, the reverb is a great feature, the EQ is solid, and the ease of use is unmatched. There is no screwing around with the unit, you just hit record and off you go. There is even a workaround I found to use it as a basic looper.

I owned the Micro BR and found it to have endlessly annoying menus and sold it. This has no complicated menu options and does what you want it to do, quickly get a track into memory and master it.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Musical minimalist

I had the original DP-01FX for many years and loved it......I'll have to check out what the new version looks like....

Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 PM

I have a DP 02 CF (no CD burner) that I've only used for a couple of tracks and has sat ever since. I never seemed to be able to master it even though I was told by many it was simple. It sits in the pile of unused gear. I use my Zoom H2. Not multi track but simple.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD