The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2019, 03:13 AM

Default NGD: GS Mini Hog

Hi Guys, Wanting to share a new guitar pickup. Its a GS Mini Hog with great coloring and Silking. I removed the pickguard using a simple dryer, who needs a pickguard when you have such beautiful Wood underneath!

Soundwise, it is Deep and Rich, has great sustain. Sounds closer to rosewood than mahagony imo..

Future plans to add ebony pins as well as a bone saddle or a Fossilized Mammoth Ivory Saddle.

Would like to check with you guys, should i purchase a authentic pickguard and have it installed before selling the guitar (probably not in the near future or anytime soon)? In addition, could you help me determine if its tight/wide grain as well as does it have any runoff? Im really not that good at appraising a wood

Before Removing Pickguard

Back

Last edited by Iain1231; 05-10-2019 at 03:25 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:19 AM

Happy new guitar day! I can't tell you about the wood, but I can say that I picked up a GS Mini Mahogany about a week and a half ago or so, and I can't put it down. So much fun to play!

I am planning to replace my bridge pins too, but there is so much information on which ones to get, and there is some disagreement among those as to which ones fit. So, I'm waiting and still trying to figure it out. Some say Taylor ebony pins fit straight in, some say they fit with modification to the string channel on the low E, some say that they are too thin to begin with and don't fit well. I want bone pins, so I am still looking.

Anyway, have fun with that one! Such cool little guitars.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 05-10-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations Iain... and welcome to the AGF! Great-looking guitar... my favorite Mini.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:29 AM

Love the look of that guitar. Congratulations!
Old 05-10-2019, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Congrats. The all-mahogany mini is my favorite of the bunch.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-10-2019, 09:15 AM

That's great! I have just ordered a set of ebony pins off taylor and I do hope it fit! Keeping my fingers crossed on that. I do notice removing the pickguard on this baby does increase sustain and sound a little. It's noticeable from the players perspective. And if you do wish to add it back on later, its just a 8 usd from the official site. U can consider it when its new, it wont leave a nasty tan
Old 05-10-2019, 09:17 AM

Im waiting for the good looking and great sounding koa to cross my path! Its difficult knowing that the great sounding koa aren't the best looking ones
Old 05-10-2019, 09:56 AM

Congrats! What a beautiful GSM

I have had a GSM hog for years and love it. I recently bought a koa version and love it too. I replaced the bridge pins in the koa with Taylor ebony with dots and they fit perfectly. I'll replace the pins in the older Mini at next string change.

Paul
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 05-10-2019, 11:37 AM

I Congratulations on the mahogany Mini, wonderful instruments. As Paulin stated above I also replaced my bridge pins with the Taylor ebony with dots and they fit perfect as well. Enjoy the new Mini and good job on removing the pick guard.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:11 PM

Welcome to the AGF, Iain! Congrats on the GS Mini. Did you keep the original pickguard? I wouldn't worry about getting another pickguard for your Mini in the event you ever need to sell it. Enjoy it.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Another congrats! I’ve owned 4 GS Minis. 2 of them Mahogany. Great little guitars. And another yes...the Taylor ebony pins are a perfect fit. I installed a JJB 330 with the Taylor GS Mini jack. And a set of Taylor branded tuners.

These make great additions to any collection. Play it in good health.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jilm View Post
... planning to replace my bridge pins too, but there is so much information on which ones to get, and there is some disagreement among those as to which ones fit. So, I'm waiting and still trying to figure it out. Some say Taylor ebony pins fit straight in, some say they fit with modification to the string channel on the low E, some say that they are too thin to begin with and don't fit well....
I bought two sets of tusq pins from Sweetwater, black and white, for my Martin and Yamaha. I unboxed one set, and it would not push down in the Martin, and the slot would not accept the fat winding on the end of a low E Medium string. Then I tried them in the Yamaha with Light strings, and the first pin again did not push down all the way, so I gave up.

Since I had not unboxed one set of pins, Sweetwater took that set back.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:23 PM

Cool! Enjoy your new beauty!
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 05-10-2019, 07:28 PM

Wow! Are the Taylor branded tuners like gotoh tuners? Are they easy to install?
Old 05-10-2019, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Very easy. And a bit better ratio also. Direct drop in. I found a used set on here for a great price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gsmini, guitar, hog, mini