The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-05-2023, 10:12 AM

Default Godin Encore strings (nylon)

Hi,

I've got a Godin Encore I am trying out. I guess it is the 'entry level' model, but like all Godin's I've played the quality is top notch.

The action is perfect. The plugged in bass tones are fabulous.

The problem is the trebles. They have that much referred to 'plastic sound'. The strings are the factory set. Any suggestions on more expressive trebles? Thanks very much.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:39 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I just took off a set of Knobloch Actives High Tension treble set (4 dots) CX Carbon 500 ACX from my Cordoba C5. They sounded very good. I'm a bit of a string adventurer so I took off all the strings to try something else, but I will be buying them again.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-06-2023, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
Hi,

I've got a Godin Encore I am trying out. I guess it is the 'entry level' model, but like all Godin's I've played the quality is top notch.

The action is perfect. The plugged in bass tones are fabulous.

The problem is the trebles. They have that much referred to 'plastic sound'. The strings are the factory set. Any suggestions on more expressive trebles? Thanks very much.
Hi Dory,
Not sure what kind of strings are the factory supplied ones but in my opinion, a guitar like that (not really acoustic) needs super high tension trebles for a better sound. Like these:
D'Addario Pro Arte XHT
I get them from Strings By Mail for a similar guitar I have, and they really give the guitar added snap and depth, and a much fatter sound.
At $3.89 per set, it's worth a try!
If they don't work, I would pass on the guitar. Just my opinion. A guitar with a poor treble response is a hard patient to revive.
Good luck!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 01-06-2023, 11:01 AM

I notice in the "Zac Attack" topic that Zac Brown uses extra hard tension strings. That might bring out a bit more presence for the trebles, but I'd be inclined to try fluorocarbon or titanium treble sets with your preferred basses.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical