The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2010, 02:24 PM

Default GC7e, the good, the bad, the ugly

From what I've read in Wood and Steel and on the web it sounds like the
GC7e is the guitar for me. There are no dealers within 200 miles that has one for me to try out. I really am enjoying this fingerpicking thing (after picking up the guitar again after 30+ years). I like playing blues, Simon and Garfunkel, and hope to learn all/most of the unplugged Clapton songs.
So tell me friends, give me the pros and cons of the GC7 (I currently have the 210e).
Thanks.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:01 PM

Sounds like an excellent choice IMO ... I love the GC body size, short scale, feel, etc ... I haven't played one that I didn't like although I've played some that spoke more clearly to me tone-wise so I ended up with a GC8 ... one of the most enjoyable guitars I've ever owned ... I haven't had the opportunity to play a GC7 but based on other cedar top Taylor's I've played and the fact that I love the GC body style, I don't think you'll be anything but happy ...

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 05-29-2010, 09:17 PM

I would like to hear more about this model as well. Anyone have any on hands experience?
Old 05-30-2010, 02:02 PM

When I decided to buy a smaller bodied Taylor I was going to buy a GC7. I had played about 3 of them or so and really liked the comfort and tone. I would think it would fit very nicely for the styles you mentioned. I actually ended up buying a used GC5 however because the oportunity popped up but now I'm going to be trading it in for an 812c. While prefer the tone of cedar usually, I think the sitka top will be a little more versatile for me. My GC5 sounds great when picked but slightly muddy to me when using bare fingers. Also, the bass seems to get lost a little when strumming. The GC7 may share some of these characteristics but with maybe a little more bass and a slightly darker tone. I'm not saying that its a bad guitar. On the contrary, it's a great guitar and I would be perfectly happy with one. I'm just looking for more of an all-arounder guitar in a GC size, hence the 812c.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:16 PM

I loved the GC7 when I tried it out at a local music store. I orderd one with ES. I loved the lower tension of the short scale as a refreshing break from my other standard scale guitars. Bass reponse was beautiful - like a minature D-28, and ample volume to boot. However, the combination of the smaller body, lower string tension and cedar top made it less versatile as a strummer regarding dynamics within a particular song or with a more lively song. That's where the sound broke up during periods of more energetic strumming. So I sold it (actually traded it in for the 514e originally used to buy the GC7e). However, if you lean more towards fingerstyle, you couldn't ask for a nicer instrument. Good luck in your search.

1995 Taylor GA-KS sitka/koa
1997 Taylor Cujo-14 cedar/black walnut
2001 Taylor 514e engelmann/mahogany
2003 Taylor Pelican LTD GA sitka/myrtlewood
2011 Taylor GA BTO sinker redwood/ovangkol
Old 05-31-2010, 05:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not partial to the cutaway look (old school I guess), so it looks like I need to find a GC and give it a test run. I think I'll look for a 000-28ec in my travels also. Anyone out there with an opinion regarding these two guitars?
Old 05-31-2010, 06:17 AM

I've owned one of those too. I loved its sound, but I couldn't get use to the V-shaped neck. Others do prefer it. You may want to make sure you try one out before you buy...there are many other 000 & OM models out there. Try a Larrivee. I've got one and I love it!

1995 Taylor GA-KS sitka/koa
1997 Taylor Cujo-14 cedar/black walnut
2001 Taylor 514e engelmann/mahogany
2003 Taylor Pelican LTD GA sitka/myrtlewood
2011 Taylor GA BTO sinker redwood/ovangkol
Old 05-31-2010, 07:38 AM

I often call the GC7 a Taylor for people who like Martins. It's a little warmer sounding than most Taylors because of the cedar top. If a typical Taylor is a 1 on the tonal spectrum (modern, clear, direct..some would say "thin") and a typical Martin is a 10 (vintage, rich, full...some would say "muddy"), a GC7 is somewhere in the range of 3. If a typical Taylor is Bud Light, the GC7 is regular Budweiser. I'm a fan. It's very comfortable to play -- small body, narrow waisted, comfortable neck, easy to set up with low action. The finishing is also very good, and I love the slotted headstock. The GC7 is definately a winner and works well for all applications -- strumming, finger picking, flat picking.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMartinFan View Post
If a typical Taylor is Bud Light, the GC7 is regular Budweiser.
...Well now I'm thirsty AND want a GC7
Old 05-31-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olPlucker View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I'm not partial to the cutaway look (old school I guess), so it looks like I need to find a GC and give it a test run. I think I'll look for a 000-28ec in my travels also. Anyone out there with an opinion regarding these two guitars?
I own both an 000-28EC and a GC5. I tried the GC7 as well before I chose the GC5. The EC has a lush, clear sound. The GC5 has (as you would expect for a Taylor) a brighter sound but it is still clear and rich. It has adequate bass. The GC7 to my ears was less bright but was also muddy compared to the EC.

I've found that the GC5 sound can be improved notably by changing from Elixer strings to D'Addario or other warmer strings. Overall it is a lovely guitar and a nice complement to the Clapton.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion