The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-14-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multimutts View Post
One thing I've found that helps to build finger strength and dexterity is practicing some of the classical exercises.

Here's one I like:
Try putting your fingers on the third string (anywhere on the fretboard that is comfortable for you to have one finger per fret). Then, working in pairs, move one finger up to the 4th string, and one down to the second string at the same time, before returning to the 3rd string to rest. Do every combination of two fingers,(1st & 2nd, 1st & 3rd, 1st & 4th, 2nd & 3rd ...etc) and then practice moving up/down a jump of 2 strings, do every combination, and so on.

What I found by doing this is that I got more strength and dexterity in my fingers, but also I got far more accurate in placing my fingers where I intended to have them land, and it didn't really take all that long.

Also, you aren't really "playing" anything, so it's something you can do while watching TV or just relaxing, and still you'll be helping your guitar playing.

Just passing along something that helped me.

Patti
When I saw your post, I thought this sounded like a good idea, so tried it myself. Nice, and I quickly realized I could combine it with my practice of playing useful intervals, so I modified it to choose the combinations I practice, playing a major 3rd or minor 3rd, 4th or 5th for instance. Thanks for the idea.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 10-14-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Take the F and Bm chords and make an exercise with them. Make sure you go at the pace you can change back and forth with no buzz, go no faster. You want to do 100 chord changes between those 2 chords a night at the minimum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
TBman - I would question this practice, and feel free to correct me, but there are no common keys (outside of blues) that would play these two chords together, so I wouldn't, personally, spend a lot of energy putting that particular change into "muscle memory."
Hotel California: Bm -> F#
I've Got A Name: F# -> Bm
Georgia On My Mind: Bbm -> F
Old 10-14-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
Hotel California: Bm -> F#
I've Got A Name: F# -> Bm
Georgia On My Mind: Bbm -> F
This is my understanding. 1) The chords for these songs would depend on the key you play them in.

2) Generally, in major and minor keys, the key of Fmajor has Bbmajor, F#major has Bmajor, F#minor will have Bm (I think this one is useful and, I think this is also the change in I Got a Name?), F#major will have Bmajor. The I chord and the IV chord are either both major, I and IV, or both minor, i and iv. Of course some songs go rogue, but I'm not talking about that.

3) Anyway, you will only find Fmajor and Bminor of any scale degree in Dmajor Blues, normally, so not in any regular major or minor keys.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write