The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-19-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Last place in Atlantic and sucking. Just 1-4-1. Playing later tonight in LA. I haven’t watched their games enough to know what’s wrong and how Price may or may not be factoring into the slow start.
Well, the Habs got clobbered by LA 5-1 last night. Their 1-5-1 record is the same as the Rangers who are obviously off to a poor start as well. It's still early but spending the season digging out of a hole from a poor start isn't ideal.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-22-2017, 06:40 AM

Cat, Neil, did either of you watch the Pens game last night? It wasn't on here but what a blowout.

How did Crosby get the 10 minute misconduct? Looks like it must have been as he came out of the box after Tampa Bay scored a PPG?
Old 10-22-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Cat, Neil, did either of you watch the Pens game last night? It wasn't on here but what a blowout.

How did Crosby get the 10 minute misconduct? Looks like it must have been as he came out of the box after Tampa Bay scored a PPG?
I watched the first 2 periods. All I could stomach.

As for Sid's misconduct penalty, it's as you suggested. When he came out of the box after TB scored he started chirping at the ref about the call that got him sent to the sin bin originally. Apparently it was a confluence of "bad" days being experienced by both Sid and the ref. Sid predictably lost that skirmish.

As for the game it followed pretty much the same formula as the Pens earlier 10-1 debacle against the Blackhawks: Second game of back to backs while on the road against a rested opponent with backup goalie Antti Niemi in net. I'm not a hockey soothsayer by any means but I don't think Niemi will make it to Halloween as a Penguin. The team hasn't played well in front of him, but he's been the worst goaltender I've watched in a long long time. Poor positioning, no rebound control and slow to react side to side. Ugh!

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-22-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I watched the first 2 periods. All I could stomach.

As for Sid's misconduct penalty, it's as you suggested. When he came out of the box after TB scored he started chirping at the ref about the call that got him sent to the sin bin originally. Apparently it was a confluence of "bad" days being experienced by both Sid and the ref. Sid predictably lost that skirmish.

As for the game it followed pretty much the same formula as the Pens earlier 10-1 debacle against the Blackhawks: Second game of back to backs while on the road against a rested opponent with backup goalie Antti Niemi in net. I'm not a hockey soothsayer by any means but I don't think Niemi will make it to Halloween as a Penguin. The team hasn't played well in front of him, but he's been the worst goaltender I've watched in a long long time. Poor positioning, no rebound control and slow to react side to side. Ugh!
Thanks for the wrap up, Cat. Given that Niemi has now been in two of these games it's time to give someone else a chance.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the wrap up, Cat. Given that Niemi has now been in two of these games it's time to give someone else a chance.
Just announced that the Penguins have placed Antti Niemi on waivers. Hey, maybe I am a hockey soothsayer afterall

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-23-2017, 03:54 PM

Just curious, but how's Fleury doing in Vegas?
Old 10-23-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Just curious, but how's Fleury doing in Vegas?
He got off to a good start with 3 wins in 4 starts and a .925 save percentage. Unfortunately he's on IR now with a concussion. Hope he recovers quickly and gets back to action.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-23-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Just announced that the Penguins have placed Antti Niemi on waivers. Hey, maybe I am a hockey soothsayer afterall
You called it, Cat.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:57 PM

Default PenzOil 0-0 @ the end of the 1st

Tonight's game between the Pens and Oilers is tied 0-0 at the end of 1 period. Crosby and McDavid have each had their moments but for my money so far Oilers' goalie Cam Talbot has been the best player on the ice. He's made several outstanding saves when the Pens were like bees buzzing around a hive.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-24-2017, 07:58 PM

Default PenzOil 2-1 Final

Pens beat the Oil 2-1 in OT. Both goalies were terrific! McDavid scored with about 3 minutes left in regulation to tie the game. Kessel scored the OT winner for the Pens. Sid without a point but he looked good throughout the game. With the win the Pens move to the top of the Metropolitan Division.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-25-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Pens beat the Oil 2-1 in OT. Both goalies were terrific! McDavid scored with about 3 minutes left in regulation to tie the game. Kessel scored the OT winner for the Pens. Sid without a point but he looked good throughout the game. With the win the Pens move to the top of the Metropolitan Division.
Edmonton just passed Montreal as the lowest scoring team in the league. 15 goals in 8 games. Edmonton was supposed to be a powerhouse this year. Not sure what happened.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
He got off to a good start with 3 wins in 4 starts and a .925 save percentage. Unfortunately he's on IR now with a concussion. Hope he recovers quickly and gets back to action.
Aw man. That’s bad news. Part of Murray’s rise in Pittsburgh was because Fleury had a couple of concussions that put him on long term IR. I hope he’s able to bounce back (no pun intended) and that it doesn’t end his career. He’s still reasonably young - but still he’s got 3 rings in his decade playing in Net for the Pens.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Edmonton just passed Montreal as the lowest scoring team in the league. 15 goals in 8 games. Edmonton was supposed to be a powerhouse this year. Not sure what happened.
I agree Dru, it is totally unexpected. As an example of the Oiler's scoring woes Connor McDavid's goal last night was his first since the opening game of the season (when he scored a hat trick). Also Leon Draisaitl has been out with an injury for most of their games so that is a big loss for their offense but, they have a lot of young skilled players that you'd think could score at a much better rate than they've shown. One thing I noticed in the game last night was that the Oilers' defensemen didn't seem to activate in the offensive zone very often. They seemed to be passively conservative when the Oilers had the puck. By contrast the Pens D always seem to be pinching or putting shots on net. Maybe it's a system thing that the Oilers need to change??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Aw man. That’s bad news. Part of Murray’s rise in Pittsburgh was because Fleury had a couple of concussions that put him on long term IR. I hope he’s able to bounce back (no pun intended) and that it doesn’t end his career. He’s still reasonably young - but still he’s got 3 rings in his decade playing in Net for the Pens.
Yeah it's definitely a bummer. I'm a big MAF fan. Wanted to see him take Vegas by storm. He's such a personable guy and an enthusiastic player. I think the fans there will love him as they get to see more of him...hopefully soon.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-27-2017, 09:19 AM

Arizona is the first team since 1943 to lose their first 10 games of the season. I have nothing against the Coyotes but given their off-ice history there over the past few years I'd like to see them relocate.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:53 PM

Never thought I'd say it as a Pens fan, but Alex Ovechkin might just be a very decent human being.

Cool story: https://www.nhl.com/news/alex-ovechk...es/c-292378942

In other news the Pens and Wild are tied 1-1 at the end of the first period. It's killing me to watch Matt Cullen in a Wild uniform.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic