The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-27-2017, 07:50 PM

Default Yamaha THR 100 Dual Head/Cab

I have a First Gen. THR5 and love it! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on here has had the chance to play the THR100 Dual head with matching cab. I really don't have a big need for it now, but it is on my gear list of "one day..." items to acquire. None of my local retailers have them. Big Box stores include Sam Ash and GC. There are a couple big local stores who are fairly large scale Yamaha dealers and even they don't have anything in house in stock. Is this another situation where people only want to buy Gibson Les Pauls, Fender Strats/Teles, Vox, Marshall, Orange or Fender amps so why bother? Is it that bad? That good? For me, the price tag is a hindrance at the present time, but I am intrigued by the endless possibilities with that amp.

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:19 PM

I don't remember seeing this model when I bought a THR 10 last year.
THR"s are well thought out and made, I very much like mine; it's a great late night amp. And it's a kick running it through a pc.
This one isn't exactly just for late night use though. At frist take, it doesn't look like it has very many preset amp models. And it's pricey by the time you add the cab.
Not sure I'd buy this, since for a few more 100$, I could just buy a small Fender, Vox or Marshall combo. (already have a Deluxe Reverb and Blues Jr.)
'17 Martin D-28
'18 Martin D-18
'21 Yamaha FS830
Old 10-05-2017, 09:40 AM

I was very curious in it originally too, because you can run two separate guitars in and have two separate sounds. It would have worked well for me at the time, playing with my son.

However, I think that novelty only applies to duets, and otherwise, the modeling market is already flooded with fantastic choices. This may have just been too late to the market to catch on. I have never see one either. Yamaha isn't known for big amps and they aren't likely sought out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars