The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-28-2017, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme789 View Post
I have 2 for Golf :

1) Fans watching on TV should not be able to make a penalty call on a player ( as happened in the LPGA in 2017 )

2) Players should be able to fix a spike mark on the green. It's OK for them to fix a ball mark, but not a spike mark !?!?!?
2 great suggestions. I may add the out of bounds rule of stroke and distance. Just treat it as a lateral hazard. Recreational golfers never go back to the tee for their rounds-golf is too slow already, and the recreational golfers are far more likely to hit it OB than a pro, competing for titles. I would even suggest the USGA adopt it so the PGA and R&A would do the same. 5-6 hour professional rounds need speeding up in any and all ways possible
Old 10-29-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
One of many reasons I quit being interested in the NBA about 25 years ago. Also, whatever happened to "traveling"? These guys could walk to the grocery store and back and not get a traveling call!
I'd like the NBA to tighten up on travelling. When I played in high school it was called every time.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I'd like the NBA to tighten up on travelling. When I played in high school it was called every time.

YouTube NBA traveling and you’ll see how bad it really is! And it usually leads to a slam dunk! [emoji23]
Old 11-01-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Turn a hit by a pitch into a home run, and you’ll see how hit by pitches will pretty much disappear. About 90% of hit by pitches are intentional, and it’s a shame that the penalty is a walk to first base.

It's no where near 90%. In fact I'd say intentionally hitting guys has decreased significantly over the years. Most of the time a pitcher is trying to pitch "in" and it gets away from him or the hitter leans into it (which could cause a problem with the HR idea). And there is a difference between the old "brush back" pitch and drilling someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchilada Jones View Post
lose the helmet in football. hard to believe but it would actually reduce head injuries....after the first few games while they learn to adjust

I've argued this for years. I think I first heard it from Lou Holtz. Makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Football - eliminate the holding penalty. There is holding on every single play of every single game. They only seem to call it on my team when they score.

This would have been mine, especially on the line of scrimmage. Just let those guys wrestle. They do anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbintegrity View Post
EVERY athlete should have a $100,000 salary cap..... Heck lets make it $200,000....The owners should also have a cap on their profit.... Tickets, hot dogs and beer prices will go down, not to mention taxes.... the players won't have so much money that they can destroy themselves and people will be able to afford to take their families to a game, without having to remortgage the house....Everybody wins

I know you are making the comments for discussion but I'll always contend that tickets, hot dogs and beer have nothing to do with player salaries. Those items are priced based on what the market will bear. Salaries are primarily influenced by tv money. And in my opinion, if the revenue is being generated, the players should make it with a fair share going to the owners as well, they are business men after all. But the product, the people making it possible to create that revenue is the player. And they have certainly put in more work making it to that point and preparing every week than any of us.

I don't disagree that huge sums of money to a young person can be problematic but they have the ability to hire proper people to handle those affairs and I think there are programs built in to help. But just like in all walks of life, idiots are idiots.

And I agree with all of those who think the NBA should at least on occasion, make a player dribble a ball on his way to the basket.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:24 AM

Make all pro sports with a clock 1 hour running time, no timeouts, Make a golfer finish his round in 4 hours or less, any time after that penalty of 1 stroke a minute. Bowlers going overtime would lose a pin each minute. Games take 4 hours that used to be 2-3 hours. Better things to do with my time. You may think differently. This is why I watch very few events anymore.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:07 PM

Get rid of the intentional walk in baseball. And if you "walk" a hitter on 4 consecutive pitches, he goes to second base. (These are actually my wife's dream rules. I'm not a baseball fan)

PJ
Old 11-06-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
Get rid of the intentional walk in baseball. And if you "walk" a hitter on 4 consecutive pitches, he goes to second base. (These are actually my wife's dream rules. I'm not a baseball fan)

PJ
I have no problem with a pitcher intentionally putting a batter on at first base. I'd rather see 4 pitches than an automatic walk that was instituted this year.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic