The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-08-2017, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald Artisan X20 vs McPherson Sable

Has anyone had a chance to play both? I am speaking specifically of the Emerald Artisan X20. If so, would be interested in your thoughts.

I placed a similar post in the general discussion section a while back, but wasn't able to get a lot of actual comparison. Hoping for better here in the CF section.

Thanks in advance.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....

Last edited by Transylvania; 10-08-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Your signature says you own a Emerald X20 Artisan, are just looking for other opinions?

Last edited by jdinco; 10-09-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Your signature says you own a Emerald X20 Artisan, are just looking for other opinions?
I'm trying to compare it to a McPherson Sable CF.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Old 10-08-2017, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

I had the opportunity to play a Sable this summer; I also own an X20. The McPherson Sable is a very nice carbon fiber guitar, rich tone. Would I trade my X20 for it, even up? Not a chance. The X20 is likewise nice, and a rich tone. More comfortable. I prefer the upturned offset soundhole on the X20 vs the mid, forward-facing soundhole on the Sable, for the sound it gives the player. The neck on the Sable is a soft-V, the Emerald is more of a D, but they can do other neck profiles (for an up-charge).

Same scale, similar size, with the X20 being a bit deeper in the body, but more comfortable with the curves. The weight of the Sable is 5.4 pounds, the X20 is 4.4. I'm not one to say "looks don't matter"... to my eye, the X20 is a more attractive in shape and style than the Sable, with far more stylistic options with colors and veneers. Emerald also comes in at a more-for-the-money price.

My take on it is: both are top tier carbon fiber guitars. When you are in this class, I would expect the best; both deliver. I'm not a big fan of these "brand vs brand" comparisons, because any guitar is a personal choice. I made my choice (also see you have an X20 in your signature), but everybody gets to vote with their $$.

Jim
Old 10-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I had the opportunity to play a Sable this summer; I also own an X20. The McPherson Sable is a very nice carbon fiber guitar, rich tone. Would I trade my X20 for it, even up? Not a chance. The X20 is likewise nice, and a rich tone. More comfortable. I prefer the upturned offset soundhole on the X20 vs the mid, forward-facing soundhole on the Sable, for the sound it gives the player. The neck on the Sable is a soft-V, the Emerald is more of a D, but they can do other neck profiles (for an up-charge).

Same scale, similar size, with the X20 being a bit deeper in the body, but more comfortable with the curves. The weight of the Sable is 5.4 pounds, the X20 is 4.4. I'm not one to say "looks don't matter"... to my eye, the X20 is a more attractive in shape and style than the Sable, with far more stylistic options with colors and veneers. Emerald also comes in at a more-for-the-money price.

My take on it is: both are top tier carbon fiber guitars. When you are in this class, I would expect the best; both deliver. I'm not a big fan of these "brand vs brand" comparisons, because any guitar is a personal choice. I made my choice (also see you have an X20 in your signature), but everybody gets to vote with their $$.

Jim
Thanks, Jim. Very helpful information.

Frank
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Old 10-09-2017, 08:34 AM

I have never owned or played either but the "Patented compensated nut and saddle" that McPherson uses is a nice touch.
My Emeralds will be getting some bone soon, on both ends.

Last edited by Song; 07-08-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:44 AM

I have not had the opportunity to play the McPherson but did see Muriel Anderson playing one and it was fantastic sounding in her hands. McPherson has built in many options not available on others, their bracing, top shape and the way it is connected, and the bridge saddle and nut, all innovative improvements over most. Their wood guitars are prime examples of quality without compromise IMO.
I think the price point being much higher is due to the extensive work that goes into them and quality quality! They don't go with the flow on their stuff they price it where they feel it needs to be and that's it.
Also the suspended over the top neck is another innovation in CF, if money is the Only consideration then go with the other but you can't go wrong with McPherson that's MO.
Owning a RS APLE has made me a RS fan for sure, this guitar has just been superb in every respect, but if McPherson made a OM or OOO size I would most likely trade into one, just can't handle a full size anymore and don't need a travel size now.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:48 AM

Excellent post, Jerry.

Frank, the McPherson carbon fibers guitars were developed to be all weather companions to the company's $10,000 wood guitars. Instead of a target price point, the goal was to get as close, both in feel and tone, to their wood guitars as you can get using carbon fiber. Those of us with plenty of experience playing their wood guitars feel that they achieved that goal.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:58 AM

I own an X20. I played a Sable when they were phasing out the old version with the Kevin Michael (I think...) name on the headstock. I thought the Sable sounded great! But there were things about it that just didn't feel good to me but you might love. Also, it felt so much heavier than the RS WS I had at the time. I'm surprised it's only a pound heavier than an X20 as it felt several pounds heavier to me.

If you get the chance, try a Sable. It's worth getting another perspective on CF guitars.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
I have not had the opportunity to play the McPherson but did see Muriel Anderson playing one and it was fantastic sounding in her hands. .
Was that at Winter NAMM 2017?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber