The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-05-2017, 02:52 PM

Default Blackbird Guitars Transition to Ekoa

From Blackbird Guitars:

https://www.blackbirdguitar.com/blog...sition-to-ekoa

The transition to Ekoa

Blackbird's lineup is increasingly made up of Ekoa models and now fewer carbon fiber models. Starting earlier this year, with the sabbatical of the Super OM, and the addition of Savoy, Blackbird had equal Ekoa models and carbon fiber models, namely four of each. This is still eight models which is a bit much for a 10 person company. While the carbon models are still popular, starting October 2017, we've decided to put a few of them on ice—the Rider steel string and Lucky 13 are on an extended production vacation! Time permitting, we will bring them back in some form and hopefully soon!

There are still a few rare models on the way and in stock in dealers. The wonderful and popular BTU carbon tenor is still available for the time being as well as the Rider nylon (as we have no replacement in Ekoa just yet. We are very proud of these wonderful and now increasingly rare guitars, and expecting them to be snatched up quickly. Production has its hands full with Ekoa instruments, so we're focusing on fewer models to increase supply. Carbon fiber is still a great material for making instruments and so we use it where needed in our Ekoa instruments and continue to use it to make entire instruments because its great stuff. We think of Ekoa versus carbon as different kinds of tone woods. We're excited for the future and continuing to explore ways to make better instrument through composites!
Old 10-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Makes sense. Nice to know where Blackbird is heading. Seems they’re onto a good thing...best to run with it.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Smart business to concentrate your efforts where the demand is, and where there is no similar product on the market. Good to see that the e-koa has been accepted in the marketplace.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:26 PM

Also kind of a milestone when you put to rest the guitar you originally brought to market.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-05-2017, 06:12 PM
Guest 928

I think of Joe as a philosopher/king--he has the thought and he takes action. Blackbird had been phenomenal. That the company continues to reach new horizons in lutherie is nothing short of stunning. My hat is off.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Would love a Lucky 12 fret in ekoa!
Old 10-06-2017, 12:04 AM

Long Live Blackbird and their innovations.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 10-06-2017, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkel12 View Post
Would love a Lucky 12 fret in ekoa!
+1!! Although a 13 would still be great! Or a savoy without cutaway, even. How does the savoy sit against the Lucky 13, size wise?
I've played a Lucky 13 and liked the size. The savoy, on paper is only a little shorter but looks small to me. Anyone have a side by side?
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 10-06-2017, 06:40 AM

I reckon the next ekoa will be an OM, maybe only slightly larger than a lucky 13.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 10-06-2017, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
+1!! Although a 13 would still be great! Or a savoy without cutaway, even. How does the savoy sit against the Lucky 13, size wise?
I've played a Lucky 13 and liked the size. The savoy, on paper is only a little shorter but looks small to me. Anyone have a side by side?
Savoy is the size of a Taylor GS Mini, with a little less lower bout upon which to rest your forearm. Lucky, in my opinion, is more comfortable to play. It fits me better.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post

The savoy doesn't feel too much smaller. You can really tell the difference in width though. I prefer the savoy body width of 4 /14 to the lucky's 4 1/2.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:36 AM
Guest 928

Bry;

Nice photo comparison. I wasn't fond of the ekoa, at first look, but I'm starting to find it increasingly fetching. I Look forward to the nylon string version.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:45 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
The savoy doesn't feel too much smaller. You can really tell the difference in width though. I prefer the savoy body width of 4 /14 to the lucky's 4 1/2.
Very nice, bry. Just curious...I thought that the Savoy in particular requires a long wait due to demand and that they’re not produced very fast. Yet, you seem to have gotten yours quite quickly. What’s the reality?
Old 10-06-2017, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Very nice, bry. Just curious...I thought that the Savoy in particular requires a long wait due to demand and that they’re not produced very fast. Yet, you seem to have gotten yours quite quickly. What’s the reality?

I think I got lucky and Ted had one in stock. He said it was the first one he has ever had in stock.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
I think I got lucky and Ted had one in stock. He said it was the first one he has ever had in stock.
Yep, been receiving the guitars regularly for the last seven month, and this was the first one that was not pre sold. Course it didn't last very long. Glad you like it, Bry.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber