The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2017, 04:00 PM

Default TaylorSense bluetooth module

Anybody upgrade their Taylor with this yet?
Old 04-09-2017, 05:10 PM

Bob Taylor is running an amazing company. This looks like an amazing product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KblaQrazz8g

I ordered a few for my Brazilians. It looks pretty cool - even has a four track recorder. Wow.

Lets see how easy it is to use.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:28 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Have had mine in my 812e 12-fret for a couple weeks. Staying connected to Bluetooth has become a problem the past few days. Dunno why. The D'addario Bluetooth Humiditrak sensors in my other cases have been working fine as usual. Still enjoying the features Humiditrak doesn't offer, including battery level and very accurate tune. But beginning to wonder if I should have waited to buy it after the first-gen bugs were squashed.

Last edited by Rev Roy; 04-09-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:39 PM

Wow. Had no idea this existed. I may have to get this for my two Taylors.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:42 PM

It's only like a $75 upgrade from Taylor.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:23 PM

Yes, I ordered and installed it in my newly acquired 414ce. Install was very easy. It has worked flawlessly so far. I really like the info it provides.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:41 AM

There has been a lot of talk on this forum about this device being used by Taylor guitars to track and use the info against the user in case of a warranty claim down the road. For example, if you get a crack and they deem you let your guitar get too dry for a period of time for example.

I'm not quite that paranoid and think it would be a useful tool but it's still something to think about.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
There has been a lot of talk on this forum about this device being used by Taylor guitars to track and use the info against the user in case of a warranty claim down the road. For example, if you get a crack and they deem you let your guitar get too dry for a period of time for example.

I'm not quite that paranoid and think it would be a useful tool but it's still something to think about.
Do you have to connect to the cloud to use it? If you can keep your info local, they wouldn't know anything unless you shared it.

Of course, if you let your guitar get too dry and it cracked, that really shouldn't be warranty anyway.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:54 AM

Default TaylorSense bluetooth module

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post

I've thought about getting one and I'm not going to lie, this this through has crossed my mind also. It wouldn't surprise me this day in age if companies did this. However I would have to assume that the cost to monitor, track, record and analyze all that data would exceed the cost of whatever warranty repairs might slip past them due to humidity issues. But who knows??
Old 04-10-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Do you have to connect to the cloud to use it? If you can keep your info local, they wouldn't know anything unless you shared it.

Of course, if you let your guitar get too dry and it cracked, that really shouldn't be warranty anyway.
Yes excellent point and bad example on my part, but yes you relieve any doubt with a tracked device
Old 04-10-2017, 11:46 AM

Mine just showed up Friday and as soon as I get a minute I'm going to drop it in my 514ce FLTD. Now is a good time to give a shout out to Ted at LA Guitar Sales for helping me acquire this wonderful instrument.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post

I got my Taylor Sense Bluetooth unit as soon as the initial email offer hit my inbox late last fall - I have gone through this entire Michigan furnace season with the unit in the guitar, the D'Addario Humipacks in the case with the guitar and the app on my phone. I believe all the data is stored in the app, not the cloud. I did nothing but install the app on my iPhone, then bluetooth pair the pone to the guitar as you'd bluetooth pair a wireless speaker. I did not have to register any device or app to my iCloud account. It's a proximity thing with the bluetooth and the app. I keep my guitars in my basement, and if I'm on the second floor, the app cant find the guitar, but on the first floor, the app is connected to the guitar. I have had to change the Humidipack once so far this winter, and that was at least a month ago. My guitar has wintered at a very constant 44% humidity. I think it's a great, smart feature to make keeping your guitar safe from humidity year round, because the Humidipack will pull excess humidity out of the case in the summer. The other features are ok and nice, but the humidity monitor is the main reason to be for this app, IMHO.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:27 PM

Cool

The real question is will this be standard equipment in the next generation of Taylors and how soon will others realize how innovative this is and start to put them in their guitars?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion