The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-27-2004, 10:12 AM

I agree with Chris and use the same brand and thickness he does. I will occasionally jump up to the darker gray Dunlop, .73. Not a whole lot of difference, but I like it better with my 12 string.

Heavy picks don't respond to my type of strumming. I don't do any flatpicking so I cannot address that aspect of it.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:44 PM

I don't do any lead work, so I like Fender Mediums or Dunlop .60s for strumming. On my dulcimer, I use a triangular Fender Light. I find that gauges heavier than these don't have enough "give" and the strumming loses its definition and speed.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:46 PM

OTOH, for bass, the stiffer and heavier the better. I use Dunlop purples. I used to use an agate "Min'd Pick," but it dropped on to the sidewalk at an outdoor gig and broke in two.

Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

Old 04-27-2004, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byKnight
When I use a thin pick, whether for picking or strumming, the transient (that percussive sound when the pick first hits the string) seems more pronounced in relation to the ringing that follows.
That's what I like!
Old 04-27-2004, 01:35 PM

I generally find the thinner flatpicks to sound not "clicky" but "flappy." That generally turns me off, since I like to hear more of the strings than the picks. (Thin picks work for dulcimer strumming because the strings themselves are so thin and under lighter tension). But the heavier gauges, especially Tortex, do impart a clicking sound; plus, they don't allow the strings to ring out when strummed. Again, I do very little single-note work other than bass runs, so take my comment for its limited intended purpose. YMMV.

Old 04-27-2004, 01:36 PM

Smile

Another for the red tortex. I buy them buy the dozen! I don't think I ever broke one, but I lose plenty, and give alot away.
I have at least 50 different picks in a box at home, just stuff I tried out. I think it's a good idea to see what you like. But I think the best pick you can play with would be one you could loose, and pull another out of your pocket that is just like it, over and over again. Going though the wash a few times does not seem to bother the tortex either.
I don't understand these high dollar "one of a kind" picks. But what do I know, I drive a Ford...
I can't seem to get a smooth sound strumming with a heavy pick, but the few flat pickers I know, wouldn't think of using anything but a heavy pick. One of them told me his picks go though a washing machine pretty good to.
Yamaha 365S (1980 ish)
Taylor 110, 2004
Martin DC-160GTE
Old 04-27-2004, 01:46 PM

I prefer the .60 Dunlops or Fender Mediums--but in reality, I collect a lot of freebie picks from guitar stores, exhibit halls at conferences, other musicians' swag, etc. and use whatever is in my pocket (or sometimes, even lying on the stage if they're not broken or chewed up). Most of the time it's some variant of medium gauge.

Old 04-27-2004, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy
... I collect a lot of freebie picks from guitar stores, exhibit halls at conferences, other musicians' swag, etc. and use whatever is in my pocket (or sometimes, even lying on the stage if they're not broken or chewed up).
I'm much better about making sure I have picks w/ me in music situations these days, but I've liberated several picks from their owner by borrowing them "for a minute" to try a guitar out or something, then next thing you know, I need to grab something & inadvertently stick it into my mouth ... Rather embarassing! "Um, sorry, I slobbered on it; do you want it back?" "NO."
ooo, look! A new pick!

I envy a friend of mine; he's older, has that receding hairline, & has something w/ his skin where he can just stick the pick on his forehead & it stays there! I mean it will NOT fall off... doesn't work for me though :-/

(sorry for digressing...)

re: the skinny picks, I know lots of people that prefer that flappy / clicky sound when strumming; personally it's not my preference though. I'm probably in the minority ...
Old 04-27-2004, 03:42 PM

I use .46s for strumming. I don't do much flat picking yet so I don't know how that will work out. My Blueridge was set up for fingerpicking so anything heavier than a thin pick would cause string slap when strumming. I'd guess a 60+ would be good for flatpicking though.

Bob
Spearfish, SD
Old 04-28-2004, 08:04 PM

I myself use medium picks most of the time. I find that thin picks make my guitar sound a bit brighter, but it's usually not the sound I want, so I stay with mediums. I also prefer the feel of a medium pick.

There is one famous song that I believe must have been played with a thin pick. It has a great strumming intro: "Pinball Wizard" by the Who.

- Jim
Old 04-29-2004, 01:57 PM

I prefer a light pick. I find my strumming rhythms etc are smoother with it.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy
OTOH, for bass, the stiffer and heavier the better. I use Dunlop purples. I used to use an agate "Min'd Pick," but it dropped on to the sidewalk at an outdoor gig and broke in two.
Yeah, you really don't need a pick that it's going to be a great loss if it gets broke or lost...
Old 04-29-2004, 02:49 PM

I use a 1.52mm Torke Pick for flatpicking.
MikeO
Old 04-29-2004, 02:51 PM

Unhappy yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael K
Yeah, you really don't need a pick that it's going to be a great loss if it gets broke or lost...
You mean like the Tortoise shell pick that I know is around here somewhere but I can't find ??

Has anyone tried the Lignum Vitae picks at www.surfpick.com ?

Saw them on ebay, and viewed the site. Sound interesting, but would like to hear from someone that has actually used them.

The buddy that got me started gave me two pieces of advice from the get-go:

1. Buy Taylor
2. Get the biggest pick I could find

He later gave me a tortoise pick, and it is sweet for sure.

Pre Ban, BTW, so no flames plz.

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp
Old 04-29-2004, 03:11 PM

I use dunlop jazz IIIs (black, pointy tip) for everything. I'd say they are somewhere between a medium and a heavy guage. A guitar teacher I had several years ago turned me on to them when I was learning my first jazz licks. IMO, for fast pickin', there's nothing better than a small, stiff pick. For strumming I just lighten my grip a bit and don't dig in so much.

I used to be a green tortex man, and before that a red tortex man when i first picked up the guitar. (both in the smaller 'jazz' size) The greens are pretty good, IMO, but I get less pick noise with the jazz IIIs than I do with the greens. The only drawback is that the jazz IIIs tend to slip out of my grip a bit more.

My Band!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell