The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2013, 02:41 PM

Yes the link works, and I had already deduced from Matthew Larrivee' postings on the Larrivee forum that the news was in fact accurate.

I just find it strange that the OP didn't mention the source of his information and made a most bizarre edit to his initial post.

It is also bizarre , IMO, that Larrivee should choose to announce the closure on Facebook, rather than posting it on their own website.

But there you go, my sense of proprieties may well be out-dated in this modern age ...
Old 11-10-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM2001 View Post
Wow, from what I've heard about the high tax burden in CA, I'm shocked that you feel that taxes are lower there than in BC. Probably just a special deal to attract their business to CA, then they'll get creamed in taxes later, when that deal runs out. I worry about much higher prices on their CA guitars, especially the 03 series.
I don't live in CA. although it is a beautiful place, but then again Vancouver looks pretty nice too!

I don't think a successful company such as Larrivee would make a rash decision. Like most things, there must be more to the story. Cheaper labor perhaps.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:00 PM

Default Not Everybody is happy

Its just to bad that they are giving up on the Canadian market and making it more difficult to get Canadian made guitars. I can see it having the effect it being a lot more difficult for us to bring them across also. And lets not forget how many guitar makers started off at the Vancouver plant and that we are going to loose out on new luthiers being trained there.
I for one am kind of torn with them closing here and forgetting where they started here in Canada but like any business I guess the almighty dollars plays a bigger role then remembering ones roots. Good luck to them. ship
Old 11-10-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I have an idea:

When Larrivee moves to the US, why don't we move a Mexican factory to Canada.
By some chance, were you referring to a certain factory in El Cajon ?
Old 11-10-2013, 09:18 PM

El Cajon is not in Mexico. It's just east of San Diego, CA. .....Mike
Old 11-10-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
El Cajon is not in Mexico. It's just east of San Diego, CA. .....Mike
same difference LOL, thanks for the correction. There is a factory in Tecate
Old 11-10-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 chord View Post
Cheaper labor perhaps.
According to Matt Larrivee (over on the Larrivee Forum) there will be some fairly major cost avoidance with regard to importing instruments into the US.

The big cost appears to be the fee charged by US Fish and Wildlife to inspect instruments to verify that they comply with the Lacy Act. It's $135/guitar for any instrument with shell on it, which is why the special order -03 instruments have had wooden inlays recently.

Vancouver will not be closing, per se, it will remain the lumber facility, but all instrument production will be moving to Oxnard.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-10-2013, 10:36 PM

Well that makes sense. I never considered the import/export side of it. Their biggest market is the US. That savings will now be profit. Good for them/us/whomever. .....Mike
Old 11-11-2013, 05:43 AM

Hard to understand the intricacies of International trade.
Volkswagen is building a Billion Dollar plant in the U.S. to offset 'currency fluctuations' from what I have read.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship of fools View Post
Its just to bad that they are giving up on the Canadian market and making it more difficult to get Canadian made guitars. I can see it having the effect it being a lot more difficult for us to bring them across also. And lets not forget how many guitar makers started off at the Vancouver plant and that we are going to loose out on new luthiers being trained there.
I for one am kind of torn with them closing here and forgetting where they started here in Canada but like any business I guess the almighty dollars plays a bigger role then remembering ones roots. Good luck to them. ship
Great post Ship. Ultimately, a business is a business and I'm certain that the move makes good business sense. I hope that Larrivee is able to spend some marketing dollars in the US to expand the brand.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:36 AM

My OP was premature (that's what SHE said). Sorry if it caused a panic or caused people to freak out.
Here's a link to a 4 day old news story:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...tory-1.2432992
2019 Halcyon SJ Cutaway Lutz/Flame walnut JJB SBT
Several PRS electric guitars and good old tube amps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion