The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-20-2017, 04:56 PM

Default How heavy an extension cord?

Playing at a farm on Sunday and will have to use a 100ft extension cord. Will be using 330 Soloamp which is 330watts. I think that translates to 3 amp draw. Will 16ga be ok or should I use 14ga?
Old 10-20-2017, 08:09 PM

Assuming you're actually consuming 330 W (only true if you're playing at max volume all the time) you're drawing 330 W ÷ 110 VAC = 3 A (amperes or amps). The thing is, no amp is 100% efficient, so if you actually produce 330 W sonic power your amp has to be drawing more than 330 W electric. On the back by the plug there should be an actual power rating in volt-amperes (VA). That is a better indicator of actual power consumed. Let's assume the 330 is 80% efficient. That 3 amp draw is now closer to 4 A. 4 A is nothing - You can safely carry that through very small conductors.

For long cable runs, though, the issue is the voltage drop along the cable. Since there is resistance in your extension cord, the voltage at the end of your run will be less than at the outlet. Normal practice is to limit conductor drop to 3% or less. As the voltage your amplifier is supplied lowers, it will draw more current (and thus run hotter) to supply the same power. My NEC calculator shows you could get by in this case with AWG 14 (but AWG 16 is TOO SMALL) but I sure hope no one makes a 100' cord that small. Face it, you're gonna use this cord to power all kinds of stuff outdoors. I would go no lower than AWG 12 for a cord that long.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:20 PM

Mandobart, that was a very concise and understandable explanation. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the comprehensive and knowledgeable answer. Yeah, they do make a 100ft 16ga. I've got one. Also, I've got two 12ga 50ft cords. If I can get by with one, I'll do that.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgagnon View Post
Thanks for the comprehensive and knowledgeable answer. Yeah, they do make a 100ft 16ga. I've got one. Also, I've got two 12ga 50ft cords. If I can get by with one, I'll do that.
....if you need 100 ft....just plug the two 12ga 50 footers together......
--TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX
--Audix OM5 Dynamic mic
--Shubb C1 Capo
--Various other "stuff"
Old 10-22-2017, 06:25 AM

I grabbed the 330 PDF manual and just above the power switch it shows 'Max Power 300 Watts/2.5A'. At a max of 2.5 amps you could likely squeak by with a 16 gauge cord, but a 14 gauge would allow some wiggle room for any voltage drop due to the wire resistance. Two 50' 12 gauge cords would be overkill, but if you already have them may as well use them. If you use two cords, tie the plugs in the middle together with some rope or similar as someone for sure will trip on the cord and pull them apart otherwise.

Hopefully where you plug into has a GFI outlet, but if not it might be a wise move to get a GFI adapter to protect yourself from shock if something in the wiring gets a bit wonky. This link is an example....
https://www.amazon.com/OAONAN-Adapte...ds=gfi+adapter

I have one of these I bought for monitoring electric usage around the house, but have checked amps and similar for power draw....
https://www.amazon.com/P4400-Kill-El...00+Kill+A+Watt

Extension cord info.....
http://www.homedepot.com/c/factors_t...cords_HT_BG_EL
Old 10-22-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
I grabbed the 330 PDF manual and just above the power switch it shows 'Max Power 300 Watts/2.5A'. At a max of 2.5 amps you could likely squeak by with a 16 gauge cord, but a 14 gauge would allow some wiggle room for any voltage drop due to the wire resistance. Two 50' 12 gauge cords would be overkill, but if you already have them may as well use them. If you use two cords, tie the plugs in the middle together with some rope or similar as someone for sure will trip on the cord and pull them apart otherwise.

Hopefully where you plug into has a GFI outlet, but if not it might be a wise move to get a GFI adapter to protect yourself from shock if something in the wiring gets a bit wonky. This link is an example....
https://www.amazon.com/OAONAN-Adapte...ds=gfi+adapter

I have one of these I bought for monitoring electric usage around the house, but have checked amps and similar for power draw....
https://www.amazon.com/P4400-Kill-El...00+Kill+A+Watt

Extension cord info.....
http://www.homedepot.com/c/factors_t...cords_HT_BG_EL
I've got a Kill A Watt. Didn't know they made a plugin GFI. I have a grounding tester I usually use, but the GFI is active protection. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:00 AM

I played an outdoor wedding last weekend. I used my JBL, Eon One with an extension cord made from standard home wiring stock. I would estimate about 300 feet. Worked fine.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt20dbl View Post
I played an outdoor wedding last weekend. I used my JBL, Eon One with an extension cord made from standard home wiring stock. I would estimate about 300 feet. Worked fine.
Now that's something I've not seen before - a 300' Romex extension cord. Probably AWG 14? The neat thing about electricity is everyone knows enough about it to make something work....
Old 10-22-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Now that's something I've not seen before - a 300' Romex extension cord. Probably AWG 14? The neat thing about electricity is everyone knows enough about it to make something work....
It was provided by the host. Glad it worked because I only keep 200 feet in my truck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification