The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2017, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

I've seen Paul McCartney stop his show twice when the intros didn't go right. Just cut the song, explain to the audience why, and do it again.

I've seen Jeff Tweedy forget to come in on a verse to a song he'd been singing for twenty years. Totally cracked up the band who did another instrumental break.

Anyone who has ever performed has had a brain freeze.

As for open mics, do about twenty more, then take stock of how far you've come, and the best advice I can give you is to not take yourself or your performance too seriously. This is not to say don't try to do your best, just that sometimes you don't and that's ok.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-23-2017, 10:35 AM

I applaud anyone who plays at an open mic event. I have played many gigs in the past 30 years; from duo gigs, to trios, to full rock band shows, in front of audiences from 3 people to 300 - and I have never done an open mic. I probably should give it a shot one of these days. After listening to these stories and all the encouragement to OP has received, it almost seems like I have to, now. I've been meaning to check out the local open mic nights to see which way the wind blows there - I think I will check out the local talent next open night.
Thanks, OP - your night of trauma has inspired me!
Old 10-23-2017, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Dan - I'll bet you have me confused with someone else. I've only been playing for ten years and only did my first open mics this year.

But, as Rustyaxe mentioned, there were a whole bunch of pros in the room last night (people who have been playing 40-50 yrs) that have had similar issues. Experience teaches you how to recover from a mistake and move on.

As I've thought about it today, in my vocation (dentistry), and another avocation (woodworking), experience is all about having plan B ready, and if needed, plan C, D, E, on to Z! Things don't always work as planned. Over time, you build up a toolbox and learn to improvise.

Bottom line: last night I came up with plan B. And it was good enough.

Best,

Rick

PS - I think I'm getting inspired to write a silly song about either brain farts or Murphy's Law.
Sounds like you handled the situation really well. You're correct that the best way to deal with it is to go with the flow. Minor mistakes are best overlooked and don't draw attention to them at all. Most folks will never notice and as long as you don't have a breakdown, the ones that did notice won't care at all.

If you do manage to have a complete train wreck and have to stop then laugh it off like it's nothing, don't get flustered and start apologizing. It makes the audience uncomfortable. Just say something like "that note was right there the last time I played it...." or something of that nature.

My best advice is to always keep a song that you love and can play completely in your sleep, in your back pocket. If you get overwhelmed and get the "fingers of stone" feeling, then pull out your old favorite. It'll relax you and put you back on track for the next song you've prepared. Have a lot of fun while you're at it!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-23-2017, 01:52 PM

Something I learned in performing that has helped a LOT over the years:

Unless you are playing for guitar majors or jazz critics, most music fans remember how you made them feel, not the specific notes you played.

In fact, the most important part of a song is the ending, followed closely by the beginning. Everything else is up for debate and not closely scrutinized by civilians. I have seen and experienced situations where an artist (sometimes me) start off strong, have some HUGE screwup or even more than one, keep playing, and end up closing strongly - and audiences LOVE that. A month later they will relate to friends how awesome you were.

(and the truly humorous part of this - they are right! You took failure and transformed it into success.)

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion