The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-22-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Gary, the big brown truck dropped one off for me on Friday. I spent the rest of the day playing with it.

First off, let me say that last winter I bought a DigiTech Vocalist Live 2 (VL2), played with it, and brought it back to Sam Ash within 24 hours ... really! It introduced noise into both the vocal and guitar paths, and was limited in I/O. I just didn't care for it.

The Harmony-G doesn't have those issues. I find it to be completely quiet. I like the I/O options, too. It's simple to use (as easy as the VL2). It is built like a brick ... surprisingly heavy, but that's good in a pedal. The sounds created are decent, but I do have to be careful sometimes to cue it with a split second of a guitar chord before starting to sing. It usually follows just fine without thinking about it much, though.

I have lots of fiddling and playing to do with it. I'm going to give it week or two. I got it from Musicians Friend, so I have 45 days. In any case, I'll post a real review when I've checked it all out completely.
Interesting that you had problems with your VL2. I know 10 people who have them and we have not noticed noise in the least. I suspect you had a bum unit and it's too bad that you just didn't get a replacement and thus would be able to compare the VL2 and the new Harmony G.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:12 AM

Hi Sean,

What is meant by the (reviewer's) claim that the VL2 is more "forgiving" than the Harmony-G? Does this refer to it working better for folks who play the wrong chords or sing off key? Does it refer to the trickiness of operating the foot pedals? (If you hold the Harmony-G's on/off pedal down too long, for instance, it will go into tuning mode rather than turn the harmony on or off.)

What are the voicing options of the VL2?

For the benefit of the uninitiated, the Harmony-G provides 7 voicing options.

1) "Higher" - generally a fifth above the prime voice

2) "High" - generally a minor or major 3rd above the prime voice

3) "Low" - generally a minor or major 3rd below the prime voice

4) "Lower" - generally a minor 6th (8 semi-tones) below the prime voice

5) "Bass" - tones ranging in pitch from the 'D' at 73.42Hz (the 'D' right below the open low 'E' string in standard tuning) to the 'C#' at (approximately) 138Hz (same pitch as the 'A' string at the 4rth fret in standard tuning). This voice follows the root of the guitar chord being played. If you're playing a 'G' chord (anywhere on the neck), for instance, the voice pitch sung is the G at 98Hz (same pitch as the low 'E' string played at the 3rd fret in standard tuning).

6) "Octave Up" - one octave above the prime voice

7) "Octave Down" - one octave below the prime voice

I've found the "bass" voice to be especially interesting because it can be set up (thru the choice of chord changes) to go down as the prime voice moves up or maintains pitch, or (alternatively) to go up as the prime voice moves down or maintains pitch.

Gary

Last edited by guitaniac; 08-23-2008 at 08:18 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification