The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-05-2016, 05:09 PM

Default I was going to buy a MIM Strat, but....

Everybody keeps telling me that I will want to upgrade the pickups. I don't really want to buy a new guitar and have to do that. What if I get this one?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratASMNBLK

It's an American Strat, but also a few hundred cheaper than the normal $1,300. What did they cut to reduce the price, do you think? Would I be happy with the pickups and probably not have to worry about upgrading them?

Thanks for your continuing patience.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat

Last edited by Jerry D; 09-05-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:25 PM

Everybody also watches reality shows and cares about what's happening with Beyonce...

Everybody generally has bad taste. Trust your ears. If you like hotter pickups, which is probably what everyone is complaining about, look at the Jimmy Vaughan. It has tex mex pickups. You can find new ones all day for $800. Used down in the $500 range if you shop hard.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:32 PM

Nice guitar with what looks to have a nice satin maple neck. (Personally I would swap out the pickguard with a white one but it's not my guitar). I'm guessing also that you want a guitar with a hum-bucker in the bridge.

The stock pickups on a MIM are mostly fine. (Lots of players use them and I quite like them). If you wanted something else then you can save up over time and install later on. There is little to no difference between an American and Mexican made Fender guitar in my opinion other than potentially the pickups.

If it was me, I would buy the USA made Stratocaster just because it's cheaper. (And swap out the pickguard to white)
Old 09-05-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
If it was me, I would buy the USA made Stratocaster just because it's cheaper. (And swap out the pickguard to white)
Huh? The USA made Strat is cheaper?
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
Old 09-05-2016, 10:45 PM

I had the same dilemma, so eventually I went to a store and tried everything they had. Several mim strats of different varieties (regular, classic player, roadworn etc). Several american (standard, special, some super expensive custom shop).

I played clean through an expensive tube amp.

My result: the best guitar was the american standard. It played best, sounded best. Not just the pickups (currently they are fat 50's on the am standard, very nice), the way the instrument responded to my fingers was just way superior to the cheaper ones.

The mims all felt rough and lacked finesse in comparison. The custom shop guitars were all reliced and added very little.

So I got a used american standard and couldn't be happier.

My advice: do the same if you can - try lots of strats in one go. If you decide on american standard, buy a used one. They are like martins - the price generally doesn't drop beyond a certain point, so if you resell you won't lose much.

Also: there are several cheaper varieties of american made strats, but they cut corners in a similar way to the mims. You really have to play them to appreciate the difference.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 09-06-2016, 06:24 AM

This is a personal decision, obviously.
I think the guitar you are looking at is a good buy. If you don't want to change out the pickups, as you stated, then
ignore what I am offering below.

Personally, I don't care for a Humbucker in the bridge pickup, but others like it.
What Strat sound do you want? What type of music are you going to play mostly?
I paid $599 for my Mexican Strat new and swapped out the pickups for David Allen. You may want to go here and consider all the options:
http://www.dallenpickups.com/category_s/12.htm
The Demo of "Marooned" by Pink Floyd on the "Echoes" pickups will light you up.
David is considered a Strat pickup Guru by many here, including me.

Nothing wrong with the stock ones, I was just looking for something else more specific tone-wise.
The build quality on the Mexican Standards is very good.
Good luck with your decision

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 09-06-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Huh? The USA made Strat is cheaper?
Apologies, I realize now.

Then I vote for the Mexican made guitar.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
What did they cut to reduce the price, do you think? Would I be happy with the pickups and probably not have to worry about upgrading them?
I know the American Specials use the same tremolo units as most of the Mexican models, so that's one cost-saver. I believe finishing might be different vs. the American Standard, as well. Gig bag instead of a hardshell case.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Everybody also watches reality shows and cares about what's happening with Beyonce...

Everybody generally has bad taste.
This made my day.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:55 PM

I often wonder how many of those who dislike the standard MIM Strat pickups are using a budget amp. I liked the stock pickups on my MIM Standard when paired with a kit built clone of one of the classic Fender amps, but ultimately decided that a set of custom pickups would give me a palette I could do a little more with.

The American Special does cut a couple of corners compared to the Standard, but ultimately it is an American built model and will hold its value well. The Texas Specials are pretty popular pickups, too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 09-07-2016, 08:16 PM

A few months ago I went looking or a bass to learn on . Narrowed it down to the Squire Jaguar Modified bass special, witch has a P bass pick u and jazz bass p/u. standard length rosewood over maple neck, sunburst color excellent fret and neck finish, good action out of the box, all for 200 dollars. I want one to record backing tracks with and it works excellent. Great tone, easy to play, goo balance. There were a couple of older guys in the store. ( 60+year old shoppers, no wrokers) that helped me out. I did try some what appeared to be gently used american made fender bass models which I would have no problem buying becuse they are use, heck most of my guitars are used. But the fit and finish on these were not up to the mim/pacrim guitars I was looking at, Really, I would have bought one if it were it decent shape but that was not to be. Im happy with my purchase and the guys I play with like it very much too. Dont be too quick to disount these mim/pacrim guitars, some of very very good and a very good price too.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
A few months ago I went looking or a bass to learn on . Narrowed it down to the Squire Jaguar Modified bass special, witch has a P bass pick u and jazz bass p/u. standard length rosewood over maple neck, sunburst color excellent fret and neck finish, good action out of the box, all for 200 dollars. I want one to record backing tracks with and it works excellent. Great tone, easy to play, goo balance. There were a couple of older guys in the store. ( 60+year old shoppers, no wrokers) that helped me out. I did try some what appeared to be gently used american made fender bass models which I would have no problem buying becuse they are use, heck most of my guitars are used. But the fit and finish on these were not up to the mim/pacrim guitars I was looking at, Really, I would have bought one if it were it decent shape but that was not to be. Im happy with my purchase and the guys I play with like it very much too. Dont be too quick to disount these mim/pacrim guitars, some of very very good and a very good price too.
Hey GHS - I bought that very same bass a month or two ago! It is a very playable, well built and good sounding instrument.

However, with regards to Jerry's original question, I would recommend getting a used American Standard strat. You can easily find them in the $700 - $800 range. To me, the build quality and the better pickups make it an easy choice. I have a 2009 American standard which is my #1 electric guitar, totally stock. I love it.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:03 PM

I tend to prefer the Classic and Classic Player series models over the lower-end USA-made models. If I were looking for a Stratocaster, this is one I'd be looking pretty seriously at.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratCP6SBl
Old 09-08-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I tend to prefer the Classic and Classic Player series models over the lower-end USA-made models. If I were looking for a Stratocaster, this is one I'd be looking pretty seriously at.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratCP6SBl
And why do you like that one?
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
Old 09-09-2016, 09:18 AM

Well, if you want a black strat (a color I don't like) with a humbucker in the bridge position, go for it. My preference in strats are for those with 3 single-coil pickups. If you've got a 5-way switch, the in-between settings will emulate that humbucker sound, since the middle pickup is wound in the opposite direction of the other two pickups.
This is a taste issue, and beyond telling you what I like, I really can't help you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars