The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-14-2015, 06:56 AM

Default Work on Rainsongs in NY/NE?

My older Rainsong ('07 vintage OM, N1 neck) has had enough gigging that there's visible wear on the usual places - first three frets, under two high strings. I'd like to replace those frets. I'd REALLY like to replace the first 5 or so with stainless steel.

My new (to me) one (Shorty) feels stiff in the action, near the nut. I've worked on the truss rod, and sanded the saddle some, and it's helped, but my old, somewhat arthritic, fingers are still not completely happy. I have neither the tools nor the skills to work on the nut slots, which I think need to come down a smidgen.

Who knows of a technician in northern New England (but not way up in Maine) or eastern upstate New York, who has experience with CF, can be relied on to work on them, and won't be scared off at the idea? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:16 AM

Hi Pete,

I don't know any luthiers that are known for working on CF guitars, but non-wood fretboards have been around a long time, so I think any luthier qualified to work on a wood guitar should be able to handle a re fret on your Rainsong. If you can't find one willing to do it, I would suggest calling Rainsong and ask them if they have a list of luthiers they can recommend.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCady View Post
My older Rainsong ('07 vintage OM, N1 neck) has had enough gigging that there's visible wear on the usual places - first three frets, under two high strings. I'd like to replace those frets. I'd REALLY like to replace the first 5 or so with stainless steel.

My new (to me) one (Shorty) feels stiff in the action, near the nut. I've worked on the truss rod, and sanded the saddle some, and it's helped, but my old, somewhat arthritic, fingers are still not completely happy. I have neither the tools nor the skills to work on the nut slots, which I think need to come down a smidgen.

Who knows of a technician in northern New England (but not way up in Maine) or eastern upstate New York, who has experience with CF, can be relied on to work on them, and won't be scared off at the idea? Thanks in advance.
Dave Stutzman of Stutzman's Guitar Center, here in Rochester, New York, can help you. He's an authorized RainSong dealer and sets-up and adjusts every guitar he sells prior to placing on the sales floor. He replaces worn RainSong frets but I'm not sure if he's ever substituted stainless steel for the standard nickel-silver. If you don't mind a longer drive, he could take care of your RainSong. You could give him a call about your needs and also maybe he can recommend another shop that may be closer to you.

http://www.stutzmansguitarcenter.com

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-31-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Dave Stutzman of Stutzman's Guitar Center, here in Rochester, New York, can help you. He's an authorized RainSong dealer and sets-up and adjusts every guitar he sells prior to placing on the sales floor. He replaces worn RainSong frets but I'm not sure if he's ever substituted stainless steel for the standard nickel-silver. If you don't mind a longer drive, he could take care of your RainSong. You could give him a call about your needs and also maybe he can recommend another shop that may be closer to you.

http://www.stutzmansguitarcenter.com

Regards,

SpruceTop
Thank you VERY much. I and my lady are driving out to Montana, leaving the weekend of July 27-27, coming back the week beginning Aug. 9. (My son is getting married in Bozeman Aug. 8.) We would, obviously, be crossing NY on I-90 both ways. It's a long shot, but it might be feasible to leave the OM with him on the way out, and pick it up on the way back. The matter will require further thought.

Peter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber