The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Can it be a good idea to start a new guitar learner out with DADGAD?
No, by default learners should start with Standard tuning 52 78.79%
Sure, so long as the learner understands DADGAD is a niche tuning, and enjoys how it sounds 9 13.64%
DADGAD is a good way to start a learner regardless of their eventual intended style 1 1.52%
I'd start a beginner off on an Alternate tuning, but one other than DADGAD (please specify in post) 4 6.06%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2012, 04:33 PM

Default DADGAD instead of Standard for a beginner?

Like a scattering of folks here, though I taught myself to play in Standard tuning (with a Beatles fakebook when I was 13), since discovering DADGAD I rarely play in Standard anymore. A lot of what I play is in the general "folk" style, big on drones, and I'm not bothered by limited key flexibility (or just capo up). A bit less commonly, I mainly play DADGAD on nylon-strung guitar.

Given an aspiring guitar learner with similar musical tastes to mine, and not particularly into jazz, classical, etc. genres, would starting out on DADGAD from the get-go be so bad of an idea? It has a lot of relatively simple chord formations, is easy to harmonize between strings when fingerpicking, and just generally could get a beginner sounding better, faster.

We've had a few threads on this in past years (thread on DGBDGB for newbies), but not a recent, specific thread. Personally I'd vote that so long as the beginner has heard and enjoyed DADGAD playing, and is aware that it's not a direct route to playing more cromatic genres, it could be a really interesting way to define one's sound from the start. I'm posting a poll up with this, and would be curious to hear others' input. When posting, it'd help too if you could mention, whether favoring them for beginners or not, if you yourself play some/much alternate tunings.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:43 PM

There's nothing wrong with playing DADGAD as your main tuning (I do) but it's not considered "standard" for a number of (good) reasons.

I think standard tuning should be an integral part of any guitar player's toolbox, as it's the one tuning that offers the most possibilities.

DADGAD remains an alternate tuning because there's a number of otherwise simple chords that cannot be easily played on it. Also, the benefits that arise from using DADGAD (phrasing, harmony, etc) mostly apply to advanced players.

Beginners need to learn the basics. Droning around with open tunings is cool but quickly becomes self limiting -- both to the audience and the player.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:46 PM

Interesting poll - I like it. I voted for standard tuning. I think it would make it easier for the student to play with other people (some folks don't know alternate tunings) and jam with others.

Most of the resources are based on standard tuning and I think it would benefit a new student more.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:09 PM

Unless you never intend to play with (or for) other people, you are much better learning to play a standard tuned guitar, assuming you have aspirations of playing any normal/standard Western (as opposed to Eastern or Polynesian or Asian) music.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:30 PM

I vote for standard for a beginner - one should get the basics down. You know, the whole walk before you run thing. At some point one crosses the line where just playing notes turns into making music, and then one can begin to explore other tunings.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewVanitas View Post
I'm not bothered by limited key flexibility (or just capo up).
I think you might be missing some of the potential of DADGAD. There's no reason you can't play in any key. Pierre Bensusan can play jazz standards and sound just like Joe Pass, in just about any key. Sit with him, and he'll play you a tune and modulate thru all the keys. My DADGAD book takes you thru tunes in at least 9 keys, and I could have done more, but that was enough to get you started. This isn't limited to DADGAD, you have the same 12 notes no matter what tuning. Peter Finger can play in any key in EBEGAD. You simply have to know the tuning, chords, scales, notes. Just say no to drones :-), unless you really want to create a drone as an effect. Nice for 1 tune now and then.... But you can drone in standard, too.

Quote:
Given an aspiring guitar learner with similar musical tastes to mine, and not particularly into jazz, classical, etc. genres, would starting out on DADGAD from the get-go be so bad of an idea?
That's a tough question. Lots of people start in alternate tunings. If you grow up in a slack key household, for example, you're going to use some open tuning, probably Taro Patch (Open G). I think if you were teaching kids, there's a lot to be said for getting them excited and making it easier to make nice sounds with some alternate tuning, DADGAD, Open G, Open D, etc. Eventually, to play serious guitar, they'll need to learn "standard", but in a carefully managed program (I'm thinking sort of a Suzuki Method for preschoolers) I don't see why you shouldn't make it easy for them, get them engaged, and so on, before you start throwing barre F chords at them.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:46 PM

I voted for "other" alternate tuning...when students want to play metal especially, I opt for Drop-D. Most of the open chord shapes are the same (save for E, Em, E7, etc.) but it's an easy way to learn power chords. Other than that, standard.

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 03-31-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I don't see why you shouldn't make it easy for them, get them engaged, and so on, before you start throwing barre F chords at them.
Right, although I can already hear people complain about the G chord in DADGAD...

Doug, I take this opportunity to say that I'm big fan of your playing. I first heard of you through guitar reviews and appreciated how you always played the right tunes -- and played them beautifully.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Right, although I can already hear people complain about the G chord in DADGAD...
Every tuning has hard chords. But I'd teach them a simple and pretty G:

020000 (Gadd9/D) and just tell them it's "G". 1 finger.

Or 5x0400 to get the root in there, 2 fingers. Or get rid of the 9th with 5x0450, still pretty easy. The muted 5th string will just happen, hard not to do it!

Quote:
Doug, I take this opportunity to say that I'm big fan of your playing. I first heard of you through guitar reviews and appreciated how you always played the right tunes -- and played them beautifully.
Thanks! I appreciate that.

Last edited by Doug Young; 03-31-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:05 PM

Nope. Open G yes. you bar across the strings you got a nice major. A 7th can be made with one finger on the 1st string from there. DADGAD is awesome but nothing is more beginner friendly than open G if you have the right mindset.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Barreing of course is one of the toughest things for a beginner. But I agree open G would a a good choice.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:02 PM

It depends on what style of music they want to play. Celtic music, for example, is played mostly in DADGAD and similar tunings. So...if the style you are interested in played in DADGAD, why learn Standard?

Alvarez AD-410 "Tranquilidad"

Ibanez M522SBS F-style mandolin

My Soundcloud Profile

My Bandcamp Profile

Behind the Feather Curtain (personal blog)
Old 03-31-2012, 09:50 PM

Obviously, standard (which I voted for) will maximize the possibilities for a newbie, but I try to be committed to maintaining the students' interest first and foremost. Whatever makes them want to learn, and stick with it, is OK by me- in that case, the material dictates the style/tuning. It's worked for me so far.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:30 AM

DADGAD has a unique and beautiful sound, perfect for the styles you decribe...

As for DADAGAD, can't wait to get my hands on a 7 string and try it!
Old 04-01-2012, 06:26 AM

I have recently begun teaching teachers how to play guitar and use music to teach across the curriculum for Guitars In The Classroom GITC teaches in open G, Taro Patch, tuning. I've been playing since the 60s, taught private and group lessons on and off for decades, but always started with standard tuning. It is absolutely amazing to see and hear these folks play. We've had four classes so far and they're playing (and writing new words to songs, you should hear the one a teacher wrote on test taking strategies to Hole In The Bucket...but I digress...) lots of songs, making great progress, and having fun. Prior to this experience I was solidly in the standard tuning field. That's not the case now. (The program has several levels of classes and yes, it does transition to standard tuning but that's not where it starts.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion