The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-10-2004, 04:54 PM

Default Resonator Guitar

Folks:
I'm in the market for a quality (but not overly ridiculously priced) resonator guitar. I've looked at those by Crafters of Tennesee, also Gibson. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations (i want a square neck one) and recommendations for dealers w/good prices?

thanks.
dennis
Old 09-10-2004, 05:43 PM

There is a Gibson Hound Dog squareneck in the store I frequent. That baby really sings. Take a look at Beard, think they are importing some guitars, and then setting them up nicely before sale. Supposed to be solid boxes.

FNG

My Guitars:
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

04 Larrive J-09 Maple
04 Larrivee JV-05-12
04 Larrivee D-50
06 Guild D-50 Bluegrass Special
97 Guild DV-72
97 Guild DV-73
97 Guild Deco Custom Shop
91 Guild Nightbird CU
94 Guild GV-52
06 National Vintage Steel Tricone
Old 09-11-2004, 08:41 PM

Hi Dennis, if you haven't checked into the National Resophonic models, you really ought to take a look........ Awesome array, and I envy you because you can have your choice of anything they make where as I am limited to a few left handed choices.....

Go to their web site and poke around, but ORDER their catalog/ cd sampler pack. I think it is $10 or $12, and you will get the literature and two cd's one features various songs that will really turn your ear, the other is a very professional demo disc with all the models featured side by side (audiophonically that is) .... You will be hooked.... Get prepared ,,,,, apply for a new Visa or MasterCard with a fresh line of credit....

You have been warned........

Charlie C.

2006 G&L Custom Telecaster L.H.
1995 Heritage H575 Archtop L.H.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:34 PM

Thanks Charlie, I"ll do just that.

dc
Old 09-12-2004, 08:36 PM

Another hearty vote for the Nationals. I've got a roundneck style o that just kills.

2005 Taylor T5 Std.
2003 Taylor W10CE
80's Takamine FP325SR
2001 National Style O
1981 Gibson 335 Dot reissue
1950s Harmony archtop
DanElectro Hodad
DanElectro U2
DanElectro Longhorn bass
70's MusicMan Sabre II
70's Garcia 1A
Fluke Uke
50's Macaferri uke
Kentucky A-style mandolin
Old 09-13-2004, 01:39 PM

Hey Dennis
I vote National, also..... Have you considered getting a round neck and adding a new nut so it can be played dobro style??? This way you could change back to the regular nut and play it like a regular guitar. Even if you are set on a square neck, there are a lot more round necks for sale and you can probably get a better deal.
Good luck in your search!
Russ
Old 09-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Gibson DM33 vs National Style O

I own a Gibson DM33 which is a chrome-plated metal body reso with a spider bridge. It has the same Hawiian scene found on Style O's, and is a 14 fret
model.

Nationals have biscuit bridges and most Dobos have spiders. National Style O is made of brass with nickel or german silver plating. Gibson is made of brass with chrome plating.

I originally wanted a National Style O but had the chance to aquire the Dobro through a trade at a guitar show. I like the Gibson but would still rather have a National. Also, I have been looking into putting a pickup in the Gibson. It would be much easier if it had a biscuit bridge. If so, I would install a highlander pickup. I may eventually buy a Style O or trade my Gibson for one.
Fishman makes a Dobro pickup that works with a spider, but you have to mount a battery inside the Dobro and drill a hole for a jack. You can't use an end-pin jack because there is a wooden block in the way. The thought of having to open the thing up ever time it needs a battery is unacceptable and I'm holding out for something better. I have a small DeArmond pickup that I bought to use with the Dobro but haven't mounted it or hooked it up yet. The bottom line is I don't want to make any permanent changes to the thing to install a pickup.

Another brand to consider is Amistar. Amistar is made in the Chech republic in the same area where the Dopyera Bros. originated. They take great pride in their resophonic guitars and make instruments very similar to Nationals. Check out their web site at http://www.amistar.cz/. If a low priced Dobro is what you are looking for, Regals are pretty good. I'm pretty sure they are currently being made by Johnson, but earlier version of Regals were made by Amistar (early 90's versions). If you find a Regal Dobro stamped Chech Republic inside, it's an Amistar. If it is stamped China, it's a Johnson.

A few other makers are worth checking out such as Belltona. For the money, I believe you are better off with a National.

drive-south
Old 09-14-2004, 09:07 PM

I did install a pickup in my Style O - and after a little internet research I settled on the McIntyre Acoustic Feather. It's basically a feather shaped piece of foil that sticks directly onto the cone. I ran the output jack to the bottom f-hole on the front, and if it's not plugged you don't even notice the jack there at all. When it is plugged in, I use a cable with a 90 so it doesn't get in the way, and then I run it through a Fishman preamp into our PA and it sounds great. I can't really imagine a pickup sounding better - it very faithfully reproduces the instrument's sound. As a bonus, McIntyre is a pretty small company and I was even able to email directly to the inventor/owner, who was very willing and able to answer my questions about pickup installation and amplification of resonators in general. I heartily recommend the pickup to anyone who's looking to amplify their resonator.

2005 Taylor T5 Std.
2003 Taylor W10CE
80's Takamine FP325SR
2001 National Style O
1981 Gibson 335 Dot reissue
1950s Harmony archtop
DanElectro Hodad
DanElectro U2
DanElectro Longhorn bass
70's MusicMan Sabre II
70's Garcia 1A
Fluke Uke
50's Macaferri uke
Kentucky A-style mandolin
Old 09-15-2004, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Cool

My Dearmond pickup is "the" pickup preferred by many blues players for their National Steels. Bonnie Rait and many others have the same pikcup installed on Thier Nationals. It is a small, very thin chrome-plated pickup with ears that was originally intended for acoustic guitar. Mine came with a chrome plated control unit that has 2 small knobs, vol and tone, with clear plastic knobs. I'd like to somehow find a way of mounting it on my Dobro. The pickup can be mounted using double-stick tape. The control unit could easily by mounted to 2 screws that hold the cover plate down. I'd like to find a 1/4" jack that attaches to the end pin, usually on a 90 degree angle, held down with a 1/2 round metal bracket. If anyone knows where I can find this type of jack, let me know. I've checked Stew-Mac, Luthiers Merchantile, Allparts, and several other sites to no avail.

drive-south

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments