The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-13-2017, 07:49 AM

Default Truss rod

Recently got a new Yamaha acoustic electric guitar and it seemed as if the truss rod could be tightened up a little bit.( actually I wanted to get a little bit better action on the strings. ) So I went to tighten it thinking that it would get tighter and tighter and after a quarter turn it went totally loose. it did not snap or anything like that it just seems to have run out of threads.
My question is this, does the rod turn the opposite way to tighten? Or is something wrong? Or should I just bring it to a shop to have them set it up?
2008 Ibanez "strat" style.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:13 AM

When you adjusted the truss rod to start with, did the tension actually go tighter to start with, I ask this just to make sure you were adjusting it the right way.

If it did go tighter and then suddenly go slack, you may have inadvertently caused some damage, in this situation you need to visit a luthier for an assessment.

It is also possible that the adjustment you made may have moved the trussrod into a neutral position.

There are so many variables of what may be happening, that I do recommend you have someone look at it for you.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-13-2017, 08:42 AM

The rod did not go slack suddenly as if it's snapped or as if the threaded end came off, rather it felt more like it just ran out of threads. When I turned it counterclockwise again it started getting tight again. I wonder if there is a left-handed thread on the rod. I guess I'm going to bring it to a guitar shop that sets up guitars.
I hate having someone do it for me because I like to be able to maintain my own equipment.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:01 AM

There is a centre point of dual action truss rods, this was what I referenced as a possibility.

This may or may not help.

In this tutorial I show the making of a dual action truss rod. Hopefully seeing how one is made may make it easier to understand what may be happening for you.

http://www.mirwa.com.au/HTS_Dual_Acting_Trussrod.html

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-13-2017, 10:27 AM

It's probably a dual action truss rod. They have a "dead band" in the middle where the adjustment nut gets loose for a few turns. Keep turning it in a clockwise direction and see if it doesn't snug up. Always count the turns so you can put it back where it was.

The truss rod is not the correct way to adjust action height BTW. It will adjust the height but that is incidental to its real purpose. It is for adjusting the relief (amount of curve) in the neck. Did you have excessive neck relief?
Old 01-13-2017, 12:20 PM

When citing down the neck it did have a little bit of a pull up from what I imagine to be string tension. Also I will watch that instructional link that was sent to me. Thank you all for your help. Keep the advice coming I appreciate it.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:26 AM

Lol. Just read my speech to text mistake.
SIGHTING, not citing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair