The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-06-2017, 09:17 PM

Default Barre chords on different neck shapes

I own a Taylor 414ce and find that the design of the neck doesn't seem to be "thick" enough for me to easily play Barre chords. In other words, I can't seem to get enough leverage (thumb/pointer finger) to exert adequate pressure to firmly bar across all 6 strings. Anyone else have the same issue with a Taylor neck?
Old 01-06-2017, 10:08 PM

I have a couple thoughts...

Yes, Taylor necks have that thinner C profile and requires a different kind of hand strength. I have a 614ce and know exactly what you mean. I'll address what you can do to help a bit further down.

I also have a couple soft V neck acoustics and those seem a bit better in my hands for some things. Bar chords are easier because of the way I can apply leverage. The V fits between my where my first finger and thumb meet, so leverage can be partially applied with my palm rather than solely thumb opposing index finger bar. I've become more aware of this since my hands began experiencing arthritis.

As far as helping your Taylor help you... Make sure the action is set as low as they can make it without buzzing AND keep the relief low too. Taylors are unique in as much as then can change the action by shimming the neck instead of filing the bridge saddle. It costs about the same as a standard full setup, but IMO worth it. The difference in playability is night and day. The second thing you can do is find strings that don't fight you. I haven't had my Taylor all that long and have been using Elixir strings because that's what Taylor recommends. Tonight I did a gig for the first time using DR Sunbeams. I didn't sense that much of a tone change, but I did notice that they were easier on my hands. There are also some Martin strings that are easier on the hands as well. Martin makes flexible core strings as well as silk and steel. You might give these a try as well.

Good luck.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-06-2017, 10:39 PM

Can't say I had the barre chord problem with a Taylor that you're describing, so I can't suggest how to shift leverage. But the shallow Taylor neck is the only one that used to kill me on thumb wraps, to the point where my joint would pop. And there was no work-around.

The Taylor neck is slick and fast, but it can present problems.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

I hate barre chords and try not to use them. But, hey, that's just me.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-07-2017, 08:08 AM

Maybe it's from the first 15 years playing on a lot of different electric guitar necks, but I don't seem to be bothered by any of the acoustic necks. Some are more comfortable, but none present the problems you speak of.

Having said that, comfort is very important when you play. You want to be thinking only about the music you're making, not the instrument. I would not keep an instrument that presented me with the problems you are describing - it would drive me crazy. There are lots of guitars out there.

Sure, it's going to cost you a little money. Do you play most days? What is your time, sanity, musical soul worth to you? Mine is worth a lot to me.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbird View Post
I own a Taylor 414ce and find that the design of the neck doesn't seem to be "thick" enough for me to easily play Barre chords. In other words, I can't seem to get enough leverage (thumb/pointer finger) to exert adequate pressure to firmly bar across all 6 strings. Anyone else have the same issue with a Taylor neck?
I don't think its the neck, its your technique. Even though I don't currently own a Taylor, they have a "perfect" neck profile for my hands. Just practice them more.

After playing guitar on and off for over 50 years I still have to practice them. ("If you don't use it, you lose it")

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

I've never found a Taylor guitar I could play. The necks feel great, but my fingers don't land in the right places and I don't get around on them with any facility.
Not trashing Taylor--just sharing my experience. I get around it by playing something else.

That said, if Taylor is what you have, there's a lot to be gained by practice and improving technique.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
..., but I don't seem to be bothered by any of the acoustic necks. Some are more comfortable, but none present the problems you speak of. ... Having said that, comfort is very important when you play. You want to be thinking only about the music you're making, not the instrument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I don't think its the neck, its your technique....Just practice them more. After playing guitar on and off for over 50 years I still have to practice them. ("If you don't use it, you lose it")
Agreed because there shouldn't be any severe "leverage" being applied to the chord. I believe, the guitar should be set up so that you can fret a barre chord with 90% of the pressure applied coming from your fretting fingers and 10% coming from slight thumb assistance. You shouldn't need to clamp down or apply too much pressure. Especially on a Taylor. It could be as simple as your hold angle, arm/wrist position or even hand strength. Taylor's play as easy as anything out there. HOWEVER, there are necks that people prefer - some prefer low C, ovals, Performing Artist, modified V, V neck... and you have to find what works best for you. That's why I believe one should play a guitar for an hour straight prior to purchasing it. The on-line questions from some asking "what have you heard about...", or "I'm thinking about a XXX , what do you think?" or "I'm gassing for a guitar I just heard of..." almost always seem to end in a dissatisfied purchase.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:34 AM

Taylor necks are bad for thumb wrappers, as someone already mentioned. Switch to more of a classical fretting hand and that usually makes most necks comfy. I utilize this technique since I play all sorts of guitars and basses with various neck thicknesses and widths. I also have very small hands and can't get away with much without pain. I can go from paper thin shred guitars to baseball bat necks without much issue.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:39 AM

most of it is technique and developing strength and stamina. Its one of those things you work on for ages then one day something magical happens and you wonder whats going on ? yesterday it was a struggle, today its no problem.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

I find Takamine's asymmetrical neck to be the best fit for my hand & especially for doing 4 hour shows with the least fatigue, which most of my shows are...Martin's mlo/pa is my 2nd fav and it has an ever so slight v to it.
Technique as mentioned goes hand in hand as well. (pun intended)
Old 01-07-2017, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

If practicing is painful for you, you might need to try some other guitars with different size and shaped necks. I struggle with certain neck shapes and have learned that I can not fix the problem by practicing (actually practicing on an uncomfortable neck just creates more pain for me). Fact is, there are certain guitars I can not play that I would love to play. I have learned which necks fit me best and I stick with those brands and neck shapes. There are so many choices out there now you can find almost any type of wood and style you are looking for with a comfortable neck. It makes practice a pleasure when you are comfortable.

BTW: I love Taylor necks.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:32 PM

seems obvious that it would be easier on fatter necks. I've got a 60's Fender with a wide/thick bolt on maple neck, and everything is easy on it.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:24 PM

When I first started playing in the late 80s, I never played barre chords but I play them all the time now, it's a muscle memory thing and while it has a little to do with the neck I guess, it's not everything. You have to want it. I will agree however that a big V neck does help a bit, but once you get it nailed, go to a lower C neck and do it there, so you can do it on everything.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:32 PM

UPDATE: After struggling to play Barre chords on my 414, I took a closer look at the neck relief. Did a quarter turn on the rod, let it set over night, did a half turn the next day. Let the neck rest for about 6 hours
Played barres up the neck, various chord shapes with very little effort. I keep my guitar humidified in the case but I completely overlooked an adjustment to the truss rod. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion