The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-09-2001, 11:13 PM

Post John Cephas model and help!

I really think when you find the guitar that really fits, buy it and worry about paying for it later! I've been saving my pennies (well, dollars) for a K-14C. Today I stopped by the local Taylor dealer who had the John Cephas model. It really blew me away with both finger picking and flat picking. I tried it next to the K-14C and liked the John Cephas better! Although, I think this K-14c was a much poorer soundinge koa guitar than others I have played. I also tried a 914C and did not like it as well either, where as the woods and specs are similar between these guitars. I'm holding off until I go to Maine and try out a guitar up there. But yikes, maybe I should just grab this guitar and figure out how to pay for it later. Anyway, what is everyone's experience with different guitars of the same model. It's true that every guitar is different and being made with a previously living material, wood.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:33 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.
Ed, buy it now. You found that guitar that will haunt your dreams if you let it slip away. Yes, every guitar is different. This one sounds special.
I will be goig to a blues guitar seminar later this month where John Cephas is one of the instructors. Send me your guitar and I will have him sign it for you (though you may not get it back)

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 07-10-2001, 10:01 AM
Bob Womack

Two of the three guitars you mentioned are extremely different in character from the other. The Cephas will have a bright, full, compressed sound which is great for blues. The top will be hard to overload. It will cross over well between single string lead and rhythm. The 914c will be closer to the Cephas.

The K14c with the cedar top will have a sound which somewhat forms a crossover between the sound of a classical guitar and a steel string. It will be fuller and rounder, and IMHO not worth much as a blues instrument. It's forte' is true fingerstyle. It is a wonderful living room (parlor) and studio instrument. It lives for solo work. Next to a Cephas, and especialy if the K14c has old strings, it will likely sound thunky. By itself, it is a bright but balanced solo instrument.

Now that you have compared them, you should play each separately and decide what you trying to accomplish with the guitar. The K14c is not a good sing-along guitar. The Cephas is. Make sure the strings on both are in good order and make your choice. ENJOY!

Bob

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: Bob Womack ]
Old 07-10-2001, 07:55 PM

Ed, get the Cephas!!!

The haunting feeling I know too well......a couple of years ago I played an incredible 915c at one of those "big" stores. It had been hanging on the wall for nearly two years and had a couple of dings. They weren't dealing a whole lot on price and I was feeling very much in debt at the time. I walked away. Now, every time I think about it, I kick myself! Kick, kick, kick, kick.
Get the Cephas, and if after a few months you don't want to keep it, let me know.......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification